“Convenient and pleasant”

The Village Inns of Blowing Rock: Hillwinds Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We bought a coupon for two nights here. After reading other reviews on Tripadvisor, we didn't expect much, but were pleasantly surprised. Of course, this is an old facility, but everything has been updated. Our room was spacious and sparklingly clean. The staff was pleasant and knowledgeable. There was a nice variety of food for breakfast in a large, comfortable room where it was easy to connect with others, or find a cozy corner, if we didn't feel like socializing. Best of all, we could walk to shops and restaurants. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are rooms specifically dedicated to pets and for those like us, pet free rooms,
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LA2GARep

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Had booked this motel for 4 nights....but left after just one. Some quick FACTS: called the reservation line for "Village Inns of Blowing Rock" and was directed to push "2" for the Hillwinds Inn desk. Got an answering machine and I left a message that I wanted to make a reservation. I did not receive a return call. I subsequently called the Hillwinds Inn " DIRECT LINE " and the call was transferred over to the reservation desk at the "Village Inn". I was told the Hillwinds Inn office was "CLOSED" after 5 pm but that my room key would be left in the drop box. I arrived at Hillwinds and retreived my room key from the box along with a "welcome" letter. The letter requested that I stop in the Hillwinds office at 8 am the next morning to enjoy my free breakfast and to "officially" check in. Don't stop reading...it even gets WORSE! I noticed there was only one other room occupied in the Hillwinds motel that night. With the front desk "CLOSED", you were instructed to contact the Village Inn which is located down the street. However, after 9pm the "Village Inn desk" would also be "CLOSED" so in an emergency - such as fire, criminal activity etc. you needed to call some other number to get help or assistance. Management simply vacates all of their motel premises from 9pm until 8 am and you are left to fend on your own. At 8am this morning, I got up to "officially" check in at the Hillwinds office and get my free breakfast. By 8:30 am the office was still "LOCKED UP TIGHT". I tried to dial the "front desk" from the phone in my room and the line was DEAD! I decided this was my "wake up" call and promptly packed my bags and tossed the room key in the drop box. I later tried to contact the Hillwinds Inn office and the call was automatically routed to the Village Inn office. I was informed that the person manning the Hillwinds office was out sick so if I wanted "breakfast or to check in", then I needed to go over to the Village Inn. Since I was already 30 miles away I just requested they email me my receipt. During the winter, management needs to close two of their three inns so that they can attempt to run just one of them in a "professional manner". Between the 3 inns I believe they had a total of 5 guests that night -- all of which were treated poorly and placed in a potentially unsafe overnight environment. I don't know what the crime rate is in Blowing Rock, but these inns , and their unsuspecting guests, would certainly be a prime target from 9pm to 8 am. Also, since they have room "keys" instead of room cards (which can be recoded for each new guest), it makes you wonder how many "copies" are floating around Blowing Rock? The rooms do have a door lock, deadbolt, and safety chain however!!

Room Tip: All rooms are probably good rooms. However there are none that are "safe" rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank john k
VillageInnsManager, General Manager at The Village Inns of Blowing Rock: Hillwinds Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

We are so sorry that this guest felt unsafe during their stay. This is honestly the first report that a guest has felt unsafe in one of our properties. Blowing Rock is a very small, very seasonal town that forces businesses to be creative during the off-season. As a result, our rates are deeply discounted during this time, however, our amenities are not diminished . We have someone who lives just around the corner from all three of our locations who is the after hours manager on duty who is available to personally assist guests from 9pm-8am. We are a upscale, boutique inn, not a large franchise. We are very sorry that this guest was further inconvenienced during their stay because of our make-shift breakfast arrangements. Our guest service representative on duty that day was violently ill, and rather than expose our guests to a potential contagious illness, we consolidated our breakfast to our sister property, which is just a stone's throw away. Again, we are very sorry that this guest was inconvenienced, but the tone and content of these harsh comments are entirely out of line and undeserved.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I booked a room at Hillwinds Inn for one night online through Hotels.com. When I checked out the next morning the girl at the desk charged my credit card for a lesser amount than I paid online but told me it would not be charged to my card. So, 4 days later both charges are on my credit card and I have the hassle of resolving this issue. So not worth it as the place was just adequate, not great.

2  Thank Sandy B
VillageInnsManager, General Manager at The Village Inns of Blowing Rock: Hillwinds Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

We are sorry that this guest was accidentally charged at our property for a prepaid reservation. This was the first morning working alone for this front desk staff and we greatly apologize for the mistake, but the problem was resolved immediately.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

My sister's and were celebrating a get away with 1 night. Initially, I was surprised that it was a motel but when we opened the screened door to our room we were pleasantly surprised by the wonderful accommodations. We reserved two rooms. The rooms were in excellent condition and it was very convenient to have the car right outside our door. The beds were cozy and comfy with lots of soft pillows. We (4) decided this was a winner of a place and we would return in the future!

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed for one night on Feb. 16th in a 2 double bed room for 170.00 which was ridiculous concesidering what the room looked like. The Internet pictures are very deceiving. The carpet did not look vacuumed especially over by the beds. There was a small refrigerator but no microwave. The sitting area consisted of one small chair sitting in a tiny corner in front of a very drafty window, now keep in mind that having a room with a drafty window is not comfortable with 18 degree weather in addition to snowing and blowing wind. The girl at the desk after a couple of complaints finally gave us a space heater after it took several attempts to get the thermostat to work . Then when we woke up the next morning to take showers the bathroom was so cold my husband had to cut hair dryer on to try to warm it up. They also didn't have enough towels and washcloths to accommodate the four of us and a 3 year old. Also, with two fireplaces in the lobby and 18 degree weather outside only one of them was burning, we didn't t know what was up with that. My husband and I have been on several trips and have stayed at several b and bs that were awesome with a lot less money. This room was not worth 50.00 much less 170.00. We will never stay again. Also let me mention that the lady on the phone at the time of reservation made it sound as if that was the only room left in blowing rock and it was 170.00 and when I asked if I could hold it and speak with my in-laws before booking it she told me no that she could only charge me then and that I would not be able to cancel without paying the full price.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Great location. Rooms were (mostly) quiet and nicely appointed. Lovely furniture (needed maintenance), nice linens, VERY comfortable beds, and reasonable price. Tiny bathroom, good maid service. Rooms adequately vs. thoroughly cleaned. Fridge was good bonus. Did NOT realize that there are 2 buildings -- a lovely Victorian style inn with a detached (across a small lot) MOTEL! I did not expect to go outside and cross a lot for the continental breakfast!!!

Staff was friendly, but we were there way off-season. For the continental breakfast, much of the food was not fresh; seemed like the same items were put out day after day. Also, this inn works with two others in town, so the WONDERFUL wine/cheese hour was located at another location (probably a half mile away). Strange set-up...

Would I stay again? Not sure... Many pluses, a few major minuses.

Room Tip: Walls are thin; if this is an option, ask for a room without adjacent neighbors!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Janice B
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed 1/6/2013 and got a good rate at $79 a night. Town was dead; I guess it is off-season. Room was clean and adequate. Refrigerator in room was convenient. The problem was that the complimentary breakfast didn't start till 8am to 10am. We waited around till 8:15 and still no one had shown up to even unlock the main office where the breakfast was suppose to be. We were craving our morning coffee and finally left to find some elsewhere. There was a 2 cup coffeepot in the room that we drank around 6am; but we were still disappointed to wait around for the comp breakfast that never occurred (unless later than 8:15am). Ted from Matthews

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluedevilted
VillageInnsManager, General Manager at The Village Inns of Blowing Rock: Hillwinds Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

We are sorry to hear that this guest was not able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast. Our lodge opens at 8am daily and we do serve a very generous continental breakfast each and every morning. I have investigated this guest's complaint, and have confirmed that the Guest Service representative on duty that day did have the lodge open and breakfast ready to be served promptly at 8am. We have determined, however, due to the below freezing temperatures our front door door knob was causing some issues and may have appeared to have been locked. We are sorry for any confusion this maintenance issue caused for these guests, but the issue has been resolved.