“Excactly what we needed!”
Review of Hillwinds Inn

Hillwinds Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Blowing Rock B&B and Inns
Williamsburg va
“Excactly what we needed!”
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I booked the Davidson Suite just a few days before going out there. We run a B&B in VA and had a last minute chance to get away. All I wanted was a place in the Mountains that offered a jetted tub, Fireplace, Good king size mattress and a large flat screen tv. We got all that and more with the Davidson Suite at Hillwinds Inn. The private drive way and the whole kitchen with wine cooler just made it perfect. The price was good / fair. The only thing that went wrong, not the facility fault at all, was that we had an ice storm hours after we arrived and we lost power for about 6 hours. It was starting to get kinda cold but the power came back on in the nick of time. It just made for an eventful Christmas day. I am looking forward to going back again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
jacksonville fl
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We stayed at the Hillwinds Inn during Christmas this year. There was an ice storm that came thru on Christmas Day. We lost power, but were told we could not stay in the main lobby where there was the only source of heat (fireplace). We had no heat or power in our rooms. We were told we could leave but those options could have put us in harm's way so we stayed. Absolutely no accommodations were given to us. I don't understand why they insisted on denying us access to where there was heat - that came from the employee and the supervisor. We entrusted them in our credit cards and they knew who we all were; we did not get the trust in return. I would like to have the owners explain that to me. I think that is a lousy way to treat your customers and I am sure there were laws violated. We were lucky that the power came back on in the afternoon. The hotel itself and the accommodations were nice - it was located in the historic area which was really convenient and also that it was pet friendly. Before I could recommend this hotel I would like feedback from the hotel.

Joyce Smith

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 6 September 2009

My boyfriend and I had planned to run a race in Valle Crucis, NC and then stay in at the Hillwinds Inn in Blowing Rock, NC post-race. Upon our arrival at the hotel, I was told by the front desk clerk that there was no record of my reservation (other than the printed confirmation I had placed in front of her). I had booked through Travelocity, who apparently failed to send the booking confirmation to the Hillwinds Inn. The Inn had no vacancies, nor did their sister hotels, so they would do nothing to help other than to recommend that I call Travelocity.

I realize that my main beef is with Travelocity, and have taken that up with them separately. But when the desk clerk at Hillwinds mentioned that they had numerous occasions where Travelocity had failed to send booking confirmations, that's when I became angry with the hotel. If they were having such issues with this, they should have severed their relationship with Travelocity and my situation would never have occurred. Or they should be willing to do whatever they need to in order to resolve the situation (meaning book me another room at their expense). THAT would be good business. Based on how they handled this situation, I will never book at Hillwinds again. So, if you're thinking of booking Hillwinds through Travelocity, don't... because you'll be SOL if Travelocity screws up.

Stayed September 2009
Manager1978, Manager at Hillwinds Inn, responded to this review, 6 October 2009
I am very sorry this guest experienced these issues during their trip to Blowing Rock. Unfortunately these occurrences do happen but are rare. We do all we can to be certain that our guests are satisfied with their accommodations and are secured in the rooms they have reserved through all sites. Please accept my apologies for this error and know that we do not find this acceptable either. Please come back to stay with us in the future.
hickory nc
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Very comfortable room...water pressure in shower was super....like a massage. Amazing large suites available for a small motel....something for everyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Manager1978, Manager at Hillwinds Inn, responded to this review, 6 October 2009
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate hearing the experiences of our guests. Please come back to visit us sometime in the near future!
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Our stay here was OK but it wasn't as nice as I expected it to be for the price. I guess you are paying for the convenient location too which was just a few short blocks to Main Street in Blowing Rock. Light appetizers were offered in the early evening but no wine (we were informed of this ahead of time and brought our own).

Our room was clean and the rocking chairs outside our room were pleasant. The bathroom was very small, cramped, and dated. The bedding seemed a bit worn. Overall I thought the room needed to be updated and was overpriced.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Franklin, TN
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This was a fabulous experience. We were celebrating our anniversary, (and hadn't been to Blowing Rock for 23 years), and upon registering (it was a Monday), we were notified that we were being upgraded to a suite. It was so beautifully appointed and the bathroom was very luxurious. The furnishings and linens were exquisite. Although the wine and cheese are no longer served in the late afternoon, they do provide fresh baked cookies along with coffee, and cheese and crackers with other soft beverages. It was an easy stroll to all the little downtown shopping areas. As we walked by the other rooms in the inn, they were beautifully furnished as well--also with top of the line bed linens. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Manager1978, Manager at Hillwinds Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2009
I am happy that you enjoyed your visit with us and enjoyed the Davidson Suite for your Anniversary! We certainly try to make special events memorable for our guests and are thrilled you and your spouse appreciated that. Blowing Rock is a lovely town and I hope you are able to return to visit very soon!
CAROLINA
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We visit Blowing Rock several times a year and stay at the Hillwinds Inn the majority of the time. And if we don't stay there we stay at a sister property (Village Inn or Ridgeway Inn). Hillwinds Inn has very charming comfortable rooms. The rooms are very updated with nice TV's and tiled baths. The continental breakfast is wonderful and the evening cheese and wine is a welcomed time at the hotel.
The location is perfect, across the street from the Blowing Rock Grill and a few hundred yards from Main St where you will find great dining and specialty shops. Also, there is a great park for kids at Main St. Nearby is Bass Lake with hiking for all ages and also nearby are Tweetsie Railroad and Boone, NC.
Pet friendly rooms are available for a small fee!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Manager1978, Manager at Hillwinds Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2009
So happy to see that you have enjoyed all of your visits to our hotels. Blowing Rock is a beautiful town and we certainly have a number of wonderful attractions. Thank you for your kind comments and please come back soon!