“Disappointing Neglected Timeshare”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Bradenton, Florida
“Disappointing Neglected Timeshare”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We are not hard to please but we certainly expected more from a timeshare. This place also serves as a motel (no-tell). It might be all right for one night, we moved out after 2 down the road to Foscoe. Foul odor in the room. Living area was crowded with a large sofa (we sat on beach towels as it seemed dirty), dresser & table & 2 chairs (the other 2 chairs were stuffed in the closet). Carpeting felt 'tacky' on our bare feet so we wore socks. Bed squeeked & bedspread had stains. The whole establishment needs updating from the rooms (when was the last time they decorated), pool & lobby. As the building is on a hill, the auto lights shone directly into our bedroom & living area windows. It was not cozy, but neglected & very depressing.

Room Tip: Check websites before your reserve your timeshare!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Spent 5 days here early Sept. 2012...Must be off season, leaves due to change in about three weeks and school back in...had very few guests...most nights only 3 or 4 cars in the parking lot...Felt as if I had a private hot tub and heated pool, as at the end of each day I used them and never saw another guest. Weather was Great....Facility is nice, has all amenities you could ask for including a free washer & dryer opportunity...Room was large and clean...beds comfortable and bathroom was nice....offered a full stocked kitchen, in line with what I would expect from a time share property...Towel exchange available daily...I assume overnight guest receive room service equal to a normal hotel stay...We were here on an RCI exhange... Staff was friendly and service was as good as you could ask for...I would definately recommend and or stay again...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnMcNulty
Shallotte, NC
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My husband and I have been timeshare owners at Smoketree since soon after it was converted from motel to timeshare in the mid-to-late '80s. We bought at this location for one reason: We love the mountains and wanted to make sure we made it up here from the coast at least one week a year; we were not really interested in RCI or in-group exchanges.

For many years it was well-maintained and the units better furnished, but in recent years the maintenance has not been up to par...perhaps because caring for an older property is more challenging and costly, and time shares are less popular give greater work demands on most of us as well as the newer, larger resorts offered for interval ownership.

The two bedroom unit we have is supposed to sleep six...it is very comfortable for two adults and workable perhaps for 2 adults and two small children.

Yet we LOVE Smoketree! It's like home away from home. The staff is friendly and genuinely helpful. If anyone treats you badly, maybe you need to make an attitude self-check. Are you treating that person with respect?

The location is fantastic--we have a great view of Grandfather Mountain from our 2nd floor unit, the pool, jacuzzi and exercise rooms are spacious and clean and the lobby offers amenities such as public computer access, and inexpensive games. Freebies include a very small library, magazines and lots of jigsaw puzzles and plenty of tables for working puzzles, playing games and eating together in larger groups. There is an outdoor grilling area as well.

From Smoketree, day trips are possible throughout western North Carolina and parts of Tennessee and Virginia.

We have never had a problem with smoke in our unit (thank goodness, because I am allergic to it). Commuting to and from some classes in Kentucky, I stayed in other units and occasionally encountered mildew and smoke issues, but was quickly moved to another room...same thing when a particular room was too far from the wireless transmitter.

Yes, Smoketree is showing its age and needs a makeover. Meanwhile,it's kind of like visiting an elderly neighbor or grandma's house...it's cozy, friendly and laid-back. It's also close to anything you could possibly want to do or to visit in the High Country. And it is budget-friendly.

At one time--before the chef died suddenly--Smoketree had one of the best restaurants and Sunday buffets around, and business was steadily growing...Still miss it!

My husband and I only wish Smoketree was dog-friendly--we board our lab-border collie mix at High Country Vet in Banner Elk (great folks), and check her out for the day to go hiking, to play at the EXCELLENT Boone Dog Park, or for Buffy to swim in a local lake or pond.

Room Tip: Avoid the handful of rooms that open to the outside at the back of the building and the few rooms ne...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan E
Walland, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The room was overwhelmingly nautious with tobacco smoke. When I asked for a non-smoking room, was told they had none as all can be smoking rooms. I had no where to go so had to stay. I asked to have the room cleaned and they sent in some sort of little portable tower fan and we left the room for 2 hrs. The smell never left the room and was so strong that our clothes and hair reeked of tobacco smoke every day and we were sick the entire time. Had to sleep with the windows open and leave them open to breathe. I think not offering no smoking rooms violates the law. This young and inexperienced staff cannot handle their jobs although they tried to be nice. The entire place needs to be bulldozed down and built anew as it is old, steps everywhere, obviously in need of new everything. It is apparent this is a place that has been added onto in the past w/o thought which makes it very difficult for people with any type of mobility issues to get into and out of their rooms. The in house wi-fi would not reach most of the rooms and you had to go to the lobby to use your computer. I could go on and on. I tried to call the manager but never received a reply. I sent her an email but again no reply. To best this all, I am an owner guesst. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank EKH1946

Travellers are raving about these Boone hotels

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed at the Smoketree Lodge 2 nights Thurs Jan 12-Saturday the 14 2012
We had reserved 3 nights, but it was so bad we left early. Kids were running through the halls screaming until after midnight, and the staff did nothing, even when reported.

Pros: The pool and hot tub were very well maintained and very clean. The hot tub was nice and hot. Smoking is allowed in the rooms, so this is good if you are a smoker (we aren't)

Cons: Everything else is dirty and worn out. The walls and ceilings are paper thin and you can hear everything. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, and I actually like funky little hotels/motels and have a high tolerance for dirt and shabbiness.

It was noisy all the time. The rooms were tiny. We were supposed to have a king size bed but it was just a single double bed, they said that's all they have besides the one and 2 bedroom suites (not what they said on the phone). The bed was so uncomfortable and old that we would have been more comfortable on the floor, but there was no room. The headboard was not attached to the bed so if you moved at all it slammed against the wall.

When we first went to the room, it had been sprayed so heavily with chemicals my eyes watered. We opened the window all the way and turned the fans on high, it was just bearable when we came back hours later.

There are many options besides this place. I would sleep in the car before I set foot in the Smoketree again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Miss M
Lake City, CO
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I really liked this hotel, but it had some major problems. I liked the atmosphere, kind of a funky mountain cabin feel and I loved loved the pool and hot tub! In great shape with clean water at the perfect temperatures in a lovely room. But... They allow smoking in the hotel. Our room did not smell bad but the halls had a distinctive whiff to them. And when some jerks were smoking in the pool area there were no 'No Smoking' signs to point to to make them stop. Great prices, comfy beds, and great pool.

Room Tip: The small suite had two beds and a small kitchen.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jplinsey
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I visited with friends in the summer. This place was just great! We had one of the rooms with a patio outside, which was a wonderful way to enjoy the evening air.

The room was smallish compared to chain hotels, but very cozy! Loved the wonderful, clean kitchenette with all the tool and utensils you could need.

The shower had great water pressure and was nice and hot.

The lobby is a delight, with lots of places to sit, TV, games, like air hockey, fooz ball, video games, etc. I felt right at home.

The prices are very reasonable. I love the location off of 105.

The pool was just wonderful. Perfectly clean, and the hot tub was nice and hot and very clean as well.

I simply adore this unique hotel and would stay again without question!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nora A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk
Sleep Inn Boone
Sleep Inn Boone
#5 of 18 in Boone
Baymont Inn & Suites Boone Near APP State

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!