“Good value..carpet needs a good cleaning!”
Review of Smoketree Lodge

Smoketree Lodge
Smoketree Lodge
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Graham, NC
“Good value..carpet needs a good cleaning!”
Reviewed 12 November 2005

We had a 2br suite--good value. I mean, what can you expect for less than $100? But the carpet was filthy. Our infant daughter crawled around for about 10 minutes and her hands and knees were black, so that made us feel a bit unsanitary after that and wonder what else they don't clean! There was one of those vacuum things like they use in restaurants that you just roll on the floor and it picks up visible dirt--I think they must only use that, b/c I've never seen carpet leave black filth on you! The 2br even felt a bit clautrophobic, but the master br was a good size and the closet was huge..the largest I've ever seen in a hotel. We only stayed for one night, so it was fine, but I wouldn't want an extended stay in such cramped quarters, especially with children. The view from the lodge was great, and there is a spacious gameroom with a pool table, a couple arcade games, a couple poker machines, and puzzles and magazines. There is also a very cozy lobby with a large stone fireplace and couches and a tv..we enjoyed sitting there by the fire. There is also a nice indoor pool and jacuzzi..For the money, it is a great value with all the amenities you get. For a short stay, I'd probably go back, but I'd probably request the carpet be steam cleaned!

Stayed October 2005
5 Thank tbjustice

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 November 2005

My family and I just stayed at the Smoketree Resort in Banner Elk. First impressions were not great, it looked more like a motel than a resort. On night two my wife saw a mouse. We found the hole in the wall and plugged it with towels ( that does not work by the way!!). I had to drive clear to the other side of Boone to a 24 hour Walgreens as there is no attendant on duty after hours to provide mouse traps. Of course we cought a rather large mouse. I figured that would be the end of the problem....nope. Night two had a mouse run across my wife as she was sleeping. Needless to say she did not sleep that night. We cought it too thanks to the mousetraps but decided to check out early. I will never stay there again and do not reccomend this place to anybody.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Boone hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 July 2005

We stayed two nights and while it was a good value, under $100, there were some things that made it less than comfortable for summer visits. I think the hotel is more geared for winter. There was no air conditioning in the public areas like the lobby which made it very difficult with the heat to want to sit and spend any time there. Also the pool looked great, but it is enclosed, four flights of stairs down, and there is no air ventilation there causing it to be very hot like a sauna. I could see how perfect it would be in winter, but in the summer even though two sides are enclosed by sliding glass doors the staff informed us they dont open them to let in air because they want to prevent outsiders from using the pool, the only problem with that is it prevented the guests who were searching for a nice cool dip in the pool to escape the summer heat, from using it either. We had a one bedroom, it was very clean and the bedroom was comfortable with what appeared to be new furniture. The small kitchenette was handy even though we didnt use it and the living area with a sleeper sofa was just enough room. The sofa was the only comfortable place to sit. There was no air conditioning in the bedroom but a small wall unit in the living/kitchen area but it never seemed to make it all the way into the bedroom. There was a ceiling fan in the bedroom which helped, but again in the summer with the high heat temps we found it to be less than desirable. If you are traveling with a handicap person or have trouble climbing stairs, the hotel does not have an elevator. We were on the 3rd level and had to try and carry our heavy suitcases up some narrow steep stairs. I dont see how some people would have been able to handle it. They do have rooms on the main level so if you have any physical limitations be sure to request a room on that level. For a short stay it was okay, close to Boone, but not in the main section of Boone and a short drive from Banner Elk. I would not return to this hotel, but in the winter maybe it would fit the needs of its guests a little better.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank broadwayaddict
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 June 2004

We have stayed here many times during the last several years during both summer and winter. It is always clean, friendly, and peaceful. We love to come as a family to the lobby area to play games or just to lounge around. The pool and hot tub area are always well maintained and warm. I would highly reccommend this place for value and comfort.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
East Coast, Usa
Reviewed 25 April 2004

I have stayed her several days each summer. Nice heated pool. Very friendly staff. All rooms have kitchenettes, some even have full sized fridges. Close to Banner Elk, Valle Crucis for skiing in winter. Highly recommended. Always under $90 per night, even cheaper off season.

16 Thank worldtraveler0003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
Hampton Inn & Suites Boone
Sleep Inn Boone
Sleep Inn Boone
#5 of 18 in Boone
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Boone

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!