“Absolutely the worst service I have ever had”
Review of Smoketree Lodge

Smoketree Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boone
Smoketree Lodge
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We were not to keen on the idea of giving more business to a person that displayed such terrible customer relations to begin with and we did not plan on paying for 2 rooms so we declined. We opted to resolve this conflict by canceling the reservation. She quickly informed us that would not be possible and that she was going to bill us anyway. We showed up at about 5:00 pm which is early enough to cancel at almost every other reputable hotel company. Again, we are well traveled and are very familiar with most travel policies.

We were forced to take the room anyway and as we were leaving the foyer the lady at the front desk threatened that if we all even entered the room she would have security come. Again, this is not a way to treat a customer even if we are upset.

When we got to the room it smelled like mildew and cigarette smoke. As I said before, we have babies, and that is not a good environment for them, so we had to go back down and confront the very same people that we very combative with us.

When we went down to the desk we asked for another room and she said that she did not have one for us. This perplexed us because at the very beginning of our encounter she told us that we would have to purchase another room. Now, they did not have another room. While we were there another manager came by and finally let us cancel our reservation.

We were perplexed as to why we could not cancel. I would think from Smoketree’s perspective, you would not want a pissed customer staying in your room. I hear stories all the time of customers destroying hotel rooms. We of course, would not do that, but it is a poor business decision to force someone to take the reservation anyway. Another thing that is funny to us is that all we have to do is call our credit card and put a hold on it anyway. Why cause all this distress when it was 5:00 pm and there is plenty of time to take rent the room?

We were there to celebrate my son’s 2 year old birthday and this was a terrible way to start it. We were forced to leave and find another place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank gregoree1978

Reviewed 4 January 2010

This hotel is well worn, but served it's cause. We stayed a couple of nights, rooms were quite and interesting. If I were staying longer I would look elsewere.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Mau18Tampa_FL
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I reserved this lodge for a get-together with my three sisters! I was so disappointed with the appearance! You could walk the halls and smell cigeratte smoke...it was old and nasty smelling...even though I had a non-smoking room. The carpet is old and smelly!
NO MAID SERVICE unless you pay extra! When you want fresh towels, etc...you have to go to the lobby with old towels to get the new. The rooms are small with only one bathroom...not much privacy at all. The rooms are only accessible by multiple steps...hard getting luggage in and out.
The lodge is on a main highway, on a curve and hill and very hard to get in and out of.
There is no food service in the lodge...no coffee in the lobby either! The pool, etc. was in another building, not easy to get to either.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank blh608
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Smoketree looks somewhat old and worn out on the outside, but the inside is absolutely nice. The pool is clean, and the hot tub works well. The fitness room is nice also. We had an enjoyable stay. Centrally located in HWY 105 - you can access lots of places like Boone, historic downtown Banner Elk, Linville, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. etc. etc. Just a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wmhardecker
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Just spent four days here. Nothing fancy, but clean & all appliances worked. Great location, close to a lot of things. April's the off-season for the area so not a lot of people around. Would stay again. Good value for $

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank BSUBigboy
Reviewed 19 February 2008

I was reading reviews and saw a lot of compliments and complaints about this place. First of all, I loved it. It was rustic, quaint, the pool and sauna were both fantastic. The room was clean, hot showers, kitchenette. I am glad I chose this as it was inbetween Sugar and Hawknest. The only thing I would say is not to book Room 201, that was the room right near the door where everyone came in and you heard that until midnight, when they close. It depends on what your'e looking for, if you can not climb stairs, don't book on the third floor. If you want more room, book a suite or 2 BR. But all and all, I have nothing but good things to say about the hotel itself. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank DElliott
Reviewed 22 January 2008

Stayed at Smoketree Lodge over the new year holiday, nice clean room , cozy, nothing too fancy and a little dated but well worth the money.compared to other places we check prices at.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
8 mi away
Comfort Suites
#6 of 18 in Boone
Hampton Inn & Suites Boone
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Boone, NC

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!