“A Must Stop”

Mast General Store Old Boone Mercantile
Ranked #1 of 14 Shopping in Boone
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Even you just go for the Candy, you must stop. It will make you feel like a kid again. However, don't miss out of the outdoor clothing. Go upstairs and check out the sale racks. They almost always some great deals. Was able to pick up a Patagonia Retro-X Vest for $78.00 which originally was $179. The staff is so friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Mark M

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Traditional and a recommended tourist stop, Mast General Store is an interesting and fun place to visit, but we found it way too pricey for much buying--except for a few pieces of their huge candy supply, which isn't cheap either! Some of the staff were extremely friendly, but others did not even acknowledge us (The people on the candy side all spoke and asked if we needed help, but the people in the clothing side ignored us completely. Upstairs in the outdoor section, the staff were all friendly to us).
The original Mast General Store's prices were probably very reasonable and everyday people could probably afford to buy themselves some good-quality clothing and supplies. Today's prices seem strongly geared towards the "rich and famous" and that is indeed sad.

1  Thank Almost-Tica
Reviewed 11 February 2014

While our Boy Scout troop was having fun skiing / snowboarding, some of the parents decided to go into Boone and visit the Mast General Store. I have not been to this location, but have been to the one in Valle Crucis a few times.

The parking is terrible. There is nothing but street parking. We had to park behind the store on the next street over.

The store itself is very pricey, but I didn't come to shop for anything but the candy. The candy section has just about everything you could think of. Especially those hard to find candies that have been long discontinued like candy cigarettes!

The staff is very friendly. I was looking for this one particular candy. They pointed out one that was similar, but it was not the same as what I was looking for. Then the one staff member realized what I was asking for and found it. It was nothing big, but he took the time to really think of what I was requesting.

They were promoting for every pound of candy you purchased, they would donate $1 to a local charity. I wound up with over 3 lbs of candy!

1  Thank mombear397
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend were on vacation in Boone and she suggested we go to the Mast General Store. I had never been or even heard of it but figured why not? It was very easy to find, however, parking is terrible so get there early for a parking spot. The Mast General Store was better than I thought it would be. First thing you see when you walk in are barrels and barrels of different candies. Take a bucket and fill it up with whatever you want. They weigh the bucket when you're done and that depends on the price...very reasonable. Once you finally stop looking at all the candy you start looking around at all the cool things they have. Things you just can't purchase anywhere else. Clothes, mountain decor, metal signs, wide variety of jelly, toys, etc. If you're in the Boone area it is a must that you make Mast General Store the first place you go for shopping! You won't regret it and walk out with something really awesome.

Thank JeffreySauerJr.
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Loved the old timey feel of the place, the variety of items in the store and the incredibly friendliness of the staff.