“Worst Campground I ever stayed in”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boone
Honey Bear Campground
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is the worst campground I ever stayed in. We went there as a group and were scattered all over the campground. The sites were reserved in March and this should not have happened. The read getting into the campground is NOT RV friendly hairpin curves in a small two lane road. The Campground sign is not along the road but sets back to the right and can easily be missed and little or no room to turn around on this type of road. My site was not level and never could get the RV level. Needless to say we will never stay there again.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this campgrounds
Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Glenn S

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Honey Bear Campground for a 2013 Labor Day weekend getaway. We arrived late and after a very easy check-in we set up our campsite to the sound of live music (the singer was very talented- I wished we had gotten there earlier). We were on site B15, on a beautiful creek and near the bridge that crosses over to the restrooms. My only complaints with Honey Bear was that B15 is the "cut through" site to get to the bridge, which is understandable. But, it would be better if there was a clearly marked path for people from other sites to use to get to the bridge. Also, we discovered when we returned Sunday from hiking, after a tremendous downpour of rain, that the excessive water runoff flows right through the middle of site B15. We'd bought new outdoor carpet to put outside our camper and it had a mud mark through the middle where the water flowed. There may be opportunity for improving drainage around this site, but again, we've had a summer of record rainfall, so this may have been an unusual circumstance. Next visit we will pick sites B14 or B16. The restrooms were large and clean. The activities available for kids were great- all kinds of games available, arts & crafts, a fishing pond, a cool tree swing, and outdoor movies at night. Although, we didn't have our kids with us on this trip, we will surely bring them next visit! Saturday morning I realized I'd forgotten to pack coffee. Not a problem at Honey Bear- they have a coffee cafe on site! Even better- you can "text to order" coffee, ice, firewood, longer cable wire to hook up the TV so we could watch the football game, anything you need and they will deliver it to your campsite! They also came around several times a day to pick up trash- just put your trash bag at the road and they carry it off! The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. We'd like to give Luke a special thanks for his hiking suggestions- Hebron Falls was beautiful, despite the rain. We had a wonderful weekend. The service and hospitality at Honey Bear was fabulous, we will definitely stay again on our next visit to Boone, NC!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bravesonn
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I camped at honeybear for 10 days in July 2013. I found the new owners (Barb, Carl, Kim and Sky) to be friendly and welcoming to guests. There were plenty of daily and evening activities to keep everyone busy. Young college age staff were adorable, helpful and friendly. Rest rooms and grounds were very clean. The Sunday night cookouts ( open to everyone in the campground) were special times to relax and get to know the staff. Have already booked another trip for next summer.

Room Tip: Camping sites on the creek are my favorite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Janice M
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 nights camping at Honey Bear Campground in our truck camper this August. The camp office is very nice and there is a little coffee cafe attached with a beautiful lounge area and big screen TV to use. The staff was always very friendly and helpful with any questions we had. The sites are all nestled deep in the woods and surrounded by mountain laurel. The sites are so shaded that it seems dark all the time! There is a large bath house with spacious showers, and there is also a small laundry room in the bath house. It seems to be a very family oriented campground in that there are lots of games for kids to play at the office. The office also has a DVD sign out with lots of movies to choose from. Overall our stay was very nice and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank amyandrobT
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Honey Bear had very friendly staff and offered daily activities for the kids. The tent sites were roomy but some of the RV sites were very close together. Most of the sites were shaded. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank GinaNC
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Good value, staff was friendly but u had to pull information out of them. We got rained out and had to leave. The policy clearly says no refunds due to weather so I didnt press this issue. I paid for firewood and ice that I didnt get to use. That said, it would have been a good business practice for Honey Bear Campground to call or send me a 50% coupon or something for my next visit. I guess that is asking too much but at the same time that is the kind of service that makes a bad day worth while and would give me a reason to go back. Bath house was really tired and old looking but fairly clean.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We love camping here. The kids love it. To those complainers and criers....it's a CAMPGROUND...not a 5 star hotel. If you can't confirm the measurements of your RV and ask someone at the campground to check before you drive there...well LOL. To the lady complaining about arriving late at night on motorcycle...Super 8 has bike parking outside. The campground was being nice by letting you arrive after hours. To the ones moaning about a storm...wow..really? If you've never camped in a storm see the post above about Super 8.

To all those campers like us that can handle camping in fair and stormy weather Honey Bear kicks butt. Too many idiots leave bad reviews when they expect too much and think they are better than all the other campers. Don't come to Honey Bear then cause we don't want you camping beside us. That leaves more room for the fun folks. Only bad customer service is when the customer expects the royal treatment and gets the same treatment as anyone else.

So things to remember: You don't need to bring and attempt parking the space shuttle in an RV spot to camp. Show up at a decent time as it is also courteous to the campers that turn in early and don't want to hear your "Harley" rumbling through the park at night. If you're scared of geting rained on stay home or just rent a cabin from the get go.

Honey Bear offers: a gameroom, outdoor games, activities, outdoor movies, a coffee shop, delivery of goods to your site, fish pond, clean bathroom/bathhouse, hiking trails...etc etc...Love the place. WILL be staying again... primative on the creek again in a tent,. Rain or shine. :) Camp On!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank buckblakk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
Linville Falls Campground RV Park & Cabins
Holiday Inn Express Boone
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 18 in Boone

Been to Honey Bear Campground? Share your experiences!