“Loved it!”

Foggy Mountain Gem Mine
Ranked #1 of 44 things to do in Boone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Monroe, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Took my five and ten year old and they has a blast finding all the gems. We found emeralds, rubys, turquoise, amethyst, tourmaline, garnets, rose quartz and many more. I think the adults had just as much fun as the kids did.
Very easy to find, right outside of Boone.
The staff was very nice and helped us with any questions we had.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank Leah Q

Lake Gaston, NC
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“LOVED IT!”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I loved this place so much that when I got home from my vacation and found out they were not on tripadvisor I sent in a request to add them. We went twice while in Boone. We have a 4 year old son and we went to Tweetsie while Thomas was there and it lasted 3 hours tops before he was done. We had gone gem mining the day before and my son asked if we could go again. So instead of staying at Tweetsie longer or heading home we went back for more. The staff was very nice and my son made friends with them instantly. We found a great selection of rocks. Lots of tourmaline, a 2 carat ruby, garnet, smoky quartz etc. It was wonderful. Must stop in for a visit. They have a cute little shop also where they sell jewelry, rocks, crystals, and even dinosaur fossils!

Visited June 2011