“Another Great Local Option in Boone”
Review of Proper

Proper
Ranked #16 of 149 Restaurants in Boone
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Proper is a Southern bistro-style restaurant located in downtown Boone NC. We offer carefully prepared fresh food in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Most everything we serve is made from scratch, in-house, and what we do not make ourselves is all natural and preservative free. All of our desserts are made in-house as well. Our best sellers are fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese, and chocolate pecan pie, but we have much more to offer. Come see us and find out for yourself.
Boone, North Carolina
“Another Great Local Option in Boone”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had an anniversary dinner here. We sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful Boone evening Summer weather. I had the fried chicken and mac n cheese. The chicken was great, mac n cheese is mac n cheese. My wife had a vegi plate and it was all good home cooked stuff. I highly recommend the potato cakes topped with pimento cheese. Oh my gosh they are outstanding. They have a unique beer menu so try something new. Drive on past Cracker Barrel and give this place a shot. You will not be disappointed.

1 Thank AppNeer

Boone, NC
“Homemade, fresh food in the original Jailhouse”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

You can't tell it's the old Jailhouse, but the atmosphere is very antique and welcoming. It's a great little place to enjoy a meal, even on the cool little porch. The food is very good, and very southern "home" style foods. Nothing like most restaurants! Everything is fresh, homemade and unique. There is a set menu for each day of the week that remains constant every week, with different specials every day. The only thing I haven't cared much for is the pulled pork, which was very fresh but too spicy for my tastes. Chicken and catfish are great! All of the sides are amazing and Sunday brunch is equally as good. Honestly, the sweet tea might be my favorite though. Prices are average, but definitely cheaper than chain restaurants these days.

The restaurant is very small with limited seating, so make sure you plan for that. Parking is limited to like 4 spaces as well, so you'll have to try parking on King Street (although if it's a weekend be prepared for everything to be full). Another tip...go early for lunch or dinner in case they're running low on food. There have been a few times they run out of some items.

The only negative here (other than lack of parking which has found me driving around for half an hour before) is the service leaves much to be desired. They're all punctual and informative, but nobody has a personality here. It's almost like they don't care you're giving them your business. But at least they keep your tea glass full and make sure you have everything. It appears most people have the same kind of service based on previous reviews. Guess that'll never change.

Overall, I like the food here, and will keep coming back for it. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for something new, fresh, or homemade.

1 Thank RahnC
Greenville, North Carolina
“Like Dinner at Grandmas”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I would imagine this is what a dinner at a southern grandma's would be like. My son had fried catfish, husband had meatloaf, and I had fried chicken on salad. The sides were awesome. Mac n cheese, green beans, sucatash... Hush puppies for an appetizer. Food was all delicious and the atmosphere quaint. Service was attentive except on the drink refills. Mid-priced. Overall, I loved it and would go back.

Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“Pricey”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I've lived in Boone for six years and usually visit Proper when I need some really good southern fancy food. My fiancé and I went tonight, and I was rather disappointed. It seems like they've raised their prices, but I was okay with paying it knowing I was going to get some delicious catfish! However, I was disappointed again with my catfish coming out like mush. The breading was not crispy at all. I would've mentioned it to the waitress if she hadn't kept disappearing. There were two people bringing us water, another bringing us food, and another that took our order and brought the check. I wasn't sure who exactly I was tipping in the end. Overall, the $30 meal was very underwhelming and I'm not sure that we'll be returning. The only good thing was the mashed potatoes. They were delicious.

1 Thank craigsl
NC
“Brunch needs some work”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had heard great things about this place, so decided to try it for Sunday brunch. Service was punctual, our waitress was very nice Then when we ordered, they were already out of the cooked apples. How can you run out of something 45 minutes after opening?. Then we waited 30 minutes for our food to arrive. Thought I was going to have to go & move our car from the 1 hour parking space!.We both got one of the scrambles (omelets ). They were both brown all over from being overcooked.The biscuits were very hard, & we weren't offered any jam, jelly etc. to go with them. We thought about getting a dessert to take with us, but out of the 8 items listed- 5 were marked out-meaning they were out. Oh well, don't think we will be back for brunch.

• Visited June 2014