“A terrific expericence!”

Highland Hills Motel & Cabins
Boone, North Carolina
“A terrific expericence!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our plans fell through and on a whim we ended up in Rm 44. It was clean. I found a fireplace and whirlpool tub. There was some road noise but it didn't bother us. Amazing hidden rooms and cabins make you feel like your camping in the middle of town. The best of both worlds. This place is not just what you see from the road. The staff was friendly and helpful. So cozy and romantic!

Room Tip: Rooms not by the pool are much quieter. It is just road noise. There is a go cart track next door. T...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The 6-person cottage was old and nasty. Seriously needed to be remodeled. Beds were very uncomfortable. The sleeper in the couch was so gross. It smelled musty and like it had been closed up. Not good for a person with asthma and/or allergies.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank routh00

Travellers are raving about these Boone hotels

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Be prepared to pay upfront in advance (not at checkout like everywhere else). For the amount of money they charge for their rooms (about $110 per night) I expected this to be a nice place to stay. I was wrong... The paint was coming off the walls & chipped & dirty, the lights above the mirror where you get ready didn't work, the bathroom door did not close all the way!!!, the mattress: you feel the springs & hear the plastic cover / liner every time you move (we didn't get much sleep since we were both so uncomfortable), there is no shampoo or conditioner, there is coffee but no creamer or sugar, they do not provide breakfast, the 1-ply toilet paper was awful, the shower curtain magnets were missing so the shower curtain kept flying up on me, they are right off the road & you can hear all the road noise & traffic..... We may as we'll have stayed in a $29.99 per night room at a motel 6. I'm sure we would've been better off!!!

Room Tip: The best western plus in banner elk was fabulous!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank veronique s
Kenly, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have stayed in the Lodgement Motel Rooms (nice ones on hill behind standard motel) several times over the years and have enjoyed it VERY much! But after today, I guess we will no longer be staying at Highland Hills! I went on the website to check the rates and to make reservations. There was some glitch in the system so I couldn't make reservations online. I then called and began the reservation process only to be told that the rate listed on their website could not be honored and that the price was actually $20 more! After I explained what was on their website, I get some runaround and he tells me that I can try to reserve online to get that rate (I explained there was a problem with making online reservations) and was told they have to do everything by hand and that he had to charge the higher price! Really? How hard would it have been to charge me the price that was listed on their website. It could have easily been verified if he had wanted to bother. Not only do they have false advertising but this whole experience was handled very unprofessionally and I am afraid we will no longer be staying there again. Unless they get someone new who treats their customers better and no longer falsely advertise rated, I would advise everyone to not even bother to call them! Very, very disappointing!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cathy J
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were in the area for the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. You are about 30 minutes from Grandfather Mountain.

The cabin was wonderful, however, the website does not share much about the motel part of the property, which is an older one and not very impressive. It is off the main highway in Boone and their pool is small. Due to the weather, we did not use it. When we first arrived at the site, we wondered if we were at the correct place, because the motel is what you see and where you check in. I had spoken with Jackie both on the phone and in person during check in. She was professional and very helpful. She recommended the correct cabin for our family's needs and it truly was. She was honest about the road noise during our phone conversation.

Our family stayed in the Elkhorn Cabin at this property. It looked almost new, was clean and snug. It was tucked at the back of the property and relatively quiet. We had a full kitchen, covered porch with rocking chairs and 2 bedrooms with queen beds. One bedroom was upstairs in a loft. The bathroom and bedrooms were straightened daily. They do have notes about cleaning up dishes and not staining the towels as some reviews mention. However, in our opinion...those seemed reasonable requests to us. We enjoyed our stay and were glad that we were near some restaurants (Sunrise Grill-AWESOME breakfast!!) and the grocery store (Ingles).

We would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms are dependent upon your needs and tastes. For example, for a more quiet, private experience...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We rented a cabin for 350 dollars for a weekend cabin. We got to the cabin dropped off our stuff and headed out. Came back and checked out the room and there was a dirty tub, mold in lights, dirty sheets, pillows were stained, and rusty vents, sding falling off, stunk like crap, broken blinds, dirty dishes and i could go on!!! I would NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend this place! I took several pics for proof! We had the room for no more than 5 hours and ended up getting a full refund except for 25 dollar room cleaning fee ( which there ain't anything they can do to clean that cabin better!) because I threatened to turn them in for their conditions! They are way over priced and disgusting!

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank Sfamily2013
shelby, nc
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Just a warning for those of you thinking of staying at this motel...we live about 1.5 hours from this location and I called today to reserve a room for tonight and was informed by the front office clerk that they do not accept reservations for the day of arrival..,didn't make much sense to me so I tried to ask a couple of questions to clarify her statement. All i wanted to do was book a room and pay for it so that we had a place to stay tonight.

She went on to say that their office closes at 11 pm and they couldn't guarantee they would be there to check me in. She then informed me that "I am only the desk clerk and I inforce my owners policies...sorry if you don't like it there are plenty of other places to stay...have a nice day!" and promptly hung the phone up. I was going to book two of their cabins, therefore they just lost booking their two most expensive accomodations. Who knows what else they lose with this policy. If they don't offer any better customer service than this on the phone before customers arrive, who knows what it is like once you check in.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family