“Good for Boone”

Ranked #78 of 149 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Japanese
“Good for Boone”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This is a decent Chinese food spot with some good sushi options as well. Lunch special has a lot of choices with large portions and a low price. Service is pretty bad which I don't understand why because they always seem to be overstaffed with servers sitting at the bar on the phone or just relaxing. Compared to China Buffet and Hunan this place isnt too bad!

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
“3 Strikes and You're Out”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I've been to Taste Grill 4-5 times since they opened. I was so psyched when I found out that there would be another Asian restaurant coming to Boone and made sure to go right after they opened.

My first experience was the worst and I'm not sure why I went back. My family including 2 young kids went one evening for dinner. Let's just say that we were there for over an hour and ended up leaving without any food. We ordered and then watched table after table seated after us get their food, eat, pay and leave. I asked on at least 5 occasions where our food was and they kept telling us it was coming out next. I finally went to find someone other than our waiter who informed me that they didn't even have our order. Did they offer us anything for our trouble? NO!! The only thing we got were free drinks. We ended up at Subway for dinner that night.

The 2nd strike came after about 4-5 months when we decided to give them another chance. This time the service was mildly better but the food was only tolerable. My daughter's hibachi steak needed a hacksaw to get through it. Complained again to no avail. I guess this time it is shame on me.

The last strike came about 2 weeks ago. My wife and I had just finished a 5 mile run and were very hungry. Since Taste Grill is so close to where we run it seemed like a good idea to give it one more shot since we were hungry for Chinese. Well, our take out order was incorrect when we got it home. I asked for brown sauce with my Chicken/Broccoli and it had white sauce and there was no rice in the bag. Umm. I thought rice was supposed to be included.

Well, there are the 3 strikes. Never again will they get my business. I should have known when I asked someone where to get good Chinese in Boone and they said go to Charlotte!

• Visited March 2014
B Rock
“Above average Chinese Food for this area.....reasonable prices”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I've read the other reviews and am a little surprised that service is being criticized so often. We have eaten there several times and have never had bad service. We have never had service which I would rate as "outstanding" either, but certainly nothing to complain about. The place is fairly new and, like most restaurants in the area, depends on local students for the majority of their service help. Without good training, many times these students learn the service industry by trial and error while they gain experience.

The place seems clean. The food is good - not great but certainly on par with most of the other Chinese restaurants in the local area. Prices are VERY reasonable....particularly lunch time prices where a variety of specials which include soup, and an egg roll are offered for around 6 bucks!

We go there fairly regularly since it's more convenient than Hunan (our preferred Chinese restaurant) and we would not hesitate to recommend it to our friends.

• Visited February 2014
Blowing Rock
“Just OK. Poor service”
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Hot and Sour soup very greasy. ..the waiter should have seen the grease on top before serving. Did not see waiter till main course was served. He dropped off food and left. While eating he dropped off check...not even finished with meal. No asking...how is dinner or anything. Then had to wait and wait. He needs training. Very poor service. Average food may not return. Was here once prior and meal was ok but service was better. Zachary was today's waiter.

• Visited February 2014
Boone, North Carolina
“Good food bad service”
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

The food is probably the best Asian food in the area. Both times I have been there our service before being seated was terrible. I was getting so angry that no one would seat us I had to raise my voice and some what shout at one of the waiters for a table.. seemed as though there was beef between the staff, could tell they didn't get along.