“Absolutely awesome…is the only way to describe my weekend with Wahoo’s Adventures”
Review of Wahoo's Adventures

Canoe, Kayak, Paddleboard Adventure Rental in Boone
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Boone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS! "2 Time Outfitter of the Year", 5 Time TripAdvisor "Peoples Choice Award". Now celebrating our 38th anniversary. Award winning service, with the highest quality outdoor adventures in the region, at the GUARANTEED LOWEST PRICES! Fantastic full service Outposts, located on or by the areas best rivers. Providing the ultimate in convenience with riverside parking, hot showers, store, catered meals(basic to gourmet), camping, treehouse cabins, and so much more. NO LONG BUS RIDES! We have adventures for the smallest of children "MILD", up to "WILD" World Class Extreme Rafting adventures. Our Guides are known as some of the "Finest Seasoned Outdoor Professionals", you will find in the World today. Many have been running rivers for over 10+ yrs, honing skills on rivers Worldwide and then sharing their skills with our younger Guides and YOU our GUEST to offer an amazing experience! Go with the PROS at WAHOOS, You will WITNESS and EXPERIENCE the DIFFERENCE!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
High Springs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 27 April 2009

We spent our spring vacation in the North Carolina Mountains and a friend referred us to Wahoo’s Adventures for an outdoor experience…and they did not disappoint. These people are what southern hospitality is all about.
Some of us wanted to go whitewater rafting but others were looking for something a little tamer. The guy at the office was very helpful in accommodating our needs and arranged for the girls to go canoeing on the New River while we took an expedition down the Nolichucky. It was great -- and the lunch on the riverbank was a nice touch. The guides were entertaining but at the same time very safety conscious. Our whitewater trip was an all day affair and we certainly went through a lot of fierce rapids but we made the mistake of expressing our desire for more to our guide Patrick. He told us the Nolichucky is ranked as a class four river but that there was an opportunity for a high adventure on a class five the following day.
It’s called Wilson’s Creek and it is not for the squeamish or faint of heart. The only way to go down the river is in a single man raft similar to whitewater kayaking…and wow, what an experience! It’s a very narrow river with drops over waterfalls and through tight canyon walls. Once again, it was great seeing the guides on the bank at the ready with safety ropes. It was a hair-raising run and the experience of a lifetime…thanks Wahoo’s!

Ryan
High Springs, Fl

1 Thank moto_x_jro

Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Thing to Do In the Mountains”
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My Family and I were searching for accomodations and fun things to do while we visited the Boone, Blowing Rock, North Carolina area. During our stay we wanted to go White Water Rafting and were recommended to Wahoos Adventures. The raft trip was first class from the beginning to the end. It was exhilarating, fun and yet we still felt totally safe with the experienced professional guides which accompanied us on our journey down the river. The next day we wanted to do something more relaxed and Wahoos provided a peaceful, scenic adventure on the New River. Wahoos also recommended other entertaining things for our family to do as well as helping us find accomodations for our stay. Wahoos entire staff are friendly and professional. Thanks to Wahoos our vacation was awesome.

Charlotte
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No trip is complete to the high country without a ride down the beautiful Wilson's Creek Gorge”
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Our group of 9 went down the Wilson's Creek Scenic River with Wahoo's in funyaks and we have never had so much fun!! Great ride!! Fun class 4 and 5 rapids. The guides were amazing and the trip leader Evan Hill was professional and as nice as he could be. All the guides made our trip a wonderful expereince that we will never forget. This is a mosy trip for anyone vacationing int he high country

1 Thank pantherhill
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worst Business of the Year Award”
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Our family went to Wahoo's Adventures while we were on vacation in Blowing Rock, N.C.

On the first day my family and friends went tubing which cost $155.00. At the same time they a reservation for white water rafting ($270.00) which was charged on the same ticket, a total of $425.00. When they returned from tubing the young people asked to cancel the reservation since they felt like they were too tired to do two consecutive days of river activities.

The store clerk told them that they had to talk to the manager. The manager said they could not cancel. My son tried reasoning with him and asked if there was some way to work out our problem. His response was that if someone with a long standing reservation died four months prior to the expected date of the activity then perhaps he would think about canceling. He further told us sarcastically that he would be happy to provide information for the Chamber of Commerce.

Perhaps I should have insisted that a bunch of tired young people be forced to go white water rafting and that way I would not have completely wasted $270.00. I didn't like the idea of the risk and if there had been some accident I would have suffered from guilt knowing that they said they felt too tired to do the activity in the first place.

The services were never rendered. There was no formal contract. If someone feels so strongly about his services that the only way that he would consider a cancellation is death, then these policies should be posted in written contract at the time of the reservation. Even something as simple as renting skis carries a formal written contract.

Most reputable businesses have straight-forward policies which allow their customers to make informed decisions. I find it hard to believe that people are never allowed to cancel a reservation especially when dealing with an activity that is outdoors and therefore weather dependent and also involving a river which could flood.

I suggest being very careful when dealing with this company and definitely do not recommend them.

10 Thank RoamingRita
ASU_Student, owner at Wahoo's Adventures, responded to this review, 28 April 2009
Here at Wahoo's Adventures we were very disappointed to see such an out of character review of the our company. In over 30 years of business we have taken thousands of wonderful people down various rivers and made it a priority to ensure safety as well as an enjoyable experience.

As a whitewater rafting outfitter we begin booking trips months in advance for the height of our summer season. In this particular trip we had arranged a packaged deal in which the group received a discounted rate for the two trips (tubing + rafting) on consecutive days. After a long day of tubing and taking part in the consumption of adult beverages the group had decided the meet time the next day was too early and they
"would not feel good enough to make the trip" Our cancellation policy is clearly posted on our website and in our office. The fact of the matter is we had already had lunch catered, hired guides, and prepared a bus for the trip due to the overall size of the group.

Needless to say the customer was quite rude in dealing with my staff and myself, and contacted his credit card company and had the payment stopped to our company.

If you were to book a cruise with Royal Caribbean (leaders in the hospitality industry) and try to cancel the night before the trip they too would reference you to there cancellation policy. We had offered a credit for another day and would still offer this credit to the group.

Now that we have addressed this matter, we look forward to seeing you on the river!

Jeff Stanley
valdese, nc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“rudest treatment I have ever received from any business person!”
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I have taken many rafting, inner tube, and kayak trips in my life. This was the only time I've had any problem at all.
First, when I entered the establishment, I asked if lockers were available and the manager said "Yeah--your locked car".
Second, this was the only place I have been where the customer is given a copy of a crude, hand-drawn map and told they would have to drive to the river themselves. Every other establishment has provided transportation to the river.
I drove my car and my sister navigated according to the drawn map. We did all right at first, even though we are not natives of the area; many county road signs were missing; and there were NO SIGNS indicating that we were on the correct route to the Wahoo Adventures river landing.
We apparently took a wrong turn at some point and became lost. When we called Wahoo Adventures, the female associate, Lilly, was trying to be helpful but there was a communication difficulty between us.
When the manager, Jeff Stanley, came on the line, he was unbelievably rude and condescending; at one point saying , "Look lady, I want you to just get out of your car and go stand in front of the (road) sign. Then write down everything I tell you to do because you've managed to get yourself lost". (I had told him what was on both sides of the road sign and what direction my car was facing.)
I felt physically sick with anger and I was so mentally stressed by his verbal abuse that I hung up the phone after this comment. I drove back to Wahoo Adventures, where Jeff Stanley denied being rude and refused to refund my money.
I have voiced a complaint with the BBB of Northwestern Carolina; with the Boone Chamber of Commerce, and any and every one with whom I've had contact since this unfortunate incident. I intend to follow up with a formal, written complaint to the BBB of Northwestern NC. I also found out from many individuals that this is not the first complaint that has been lodged against this establishment, for various reasons.
My sister was going to go on her first tubing adventure today and her vacation was ruined because of Jeff Stanley. He got $30, and my sister and I got insulted and stressed out.
I would NEVER recommend Wahoo Adventures in Boone to anyone who wants to include a river trip on their vacation in NC.
P.S. Deloach