“Watch out for hidden tip at the restaurant”

The Inn at Crestwood
Ranked #7 of 9 Boone B&B and Inns
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Watch out for hidden tip at the restaurant”
Reviewed 5 September 2010

There was a hidden 18% tip added to the restaurant tab. It was tucked in the middle of the itemized list between the wine and the dessert. We left a normal tip based on the total. Afterwards I asked how much was the dinner and said that sounds a bit high. Upon examing the tab we discovered the hidden tip. We tried to reach a manager the next day and our call has not been returned. Wonder how many others have been taken this way?

Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank SeasonedTraveler088
Crestwoodnc, Manager at The Inn at Crestwood, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Dear Seasoned Traveler,

I know that our operations manager has contacted you personally to try and get this sorted out. However, I know she makes an effort to respond to all messages. As to the hidden tip, we both believe that it was a server mistake that night, I truly believe that none of our servers have a malicious intent to overcharge any guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2010

1. The hotel room is large (although I reserve their second largest room, the master suite), but it was dirty. There were fecal masses floating in the bathroom. The sink had remnants of facial hair from shaving. The bathtub had soap residues and it was quite dirty. Room was filled with various bugs, mostly moth, but also various crawling creatures. This room was sold as a great room for mountain views, but most of the view is actually an ugly parking lot.

2. The restaurant has a nice view of the mountains on a terrace. However, the audience is very loud and there is no separation between restaurant customers and those who just came to enjoy the view. So you would have a nicely set up table with a view of mountains and then there will be a loud group of people who would stand with their back to your table blocking the view and taking pictures of their mates.

3. Restaurant personnel is not attentive at all and service there was worth than in any dinner.

4. Breakfast was included and scheduled 8-10:30am. We came both days at around 9:30am and there only crumbs on the table, no plates, coffee. The personnel did not care and it took some time to actually hunt one down to find utensils and plates and cups and maybe some leftovers in the kitchen. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.

5. The wine and cheese hour is ridiculous. There is a cheep bottle of wine with cheep cheese plate standing in the middle of the room. Again, no utensils, had to ask for them. Furthermore, because of the wedding, we were not allowed to go anywhere and stayed in the lobby with a glass of wine. Very pathetic!

6. I got the romance package that included a massage, a restaurant voucher for $100 and a basket. It was was 320$ extra. If one gets it separately, it is much cheaper: massage costs 80$ and must pay separately for the tip. The restaurant voucher one can use only once and cannot use for tips or alcohol. With all our appetite, two of us could not spend so much in this restaurant! The basket consisted of wine, which was cheep <10$ per bottle chilean wine, two bars of goat soap, and 10 pieces of dove small candy (probably in total worth <1$). So if you just buy the basket yourself (15$ tops), have two massages ($160), and eat in the restaurant ($60), you would spend 235$. I always thought that the package should make it more attractive than repulsive.

7. There is no DVD player in the room. In fact the hotel has 2 DVD players and they rent them for $5 per night. We did, and it did not work.

8. The atmosphere: many loud drunk guests who scream, smoke and make this potentially tranquil place a total disaster.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JohnWithers

Travellers are raving about these Boone hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Staff was friendly and helpful across the board. Made us feel very welcome. Location is gorgeous.... beautiful views. Bed was comfortable and room overall was fine, though lacking a bit in cleanliness. Not horrible, but powder on the bathroom floor and an occasional hair that wasn't mine. Not to the point that I was horrified, but could have been a bit better.

Breakfast was a step above the usual continental - mufifns, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, boiled eggs (one day) , coffee, milk, juice. Wonderful view as you ate and very relaxing. Probably my favorite part of my stay.

Wine and cheese reception was good....though a wedding was going on at the hotel, and it was almost like they forgot that it was supposed to happen. But they did give us wine at the bar, along with a nice cheese and fruit tray with crackers. We were confined to the bar and couldn't enjoy the outside views. And that is one of my major complaints....when the wedding and reception was going on, there were no outside area to enjoy. A lot of the indoor areas were also dedicated to the wedding. We felt a bit confined. Would have liked to have had a heads up about that, and would have made alternate plans for our evening had we known.

The spa service were great (I had a massage), and once again friendly staff. Spa area overall (lap pool and surrounding area and outside areas nearby) could use work. Party with the wedding was there the night before, and no one had cleaned up afterward (also noone cleaned up after the reception the next night, so there were things like beer caps littering the patio where we had breakfast). I would have liked the whole spa area to be somewhere where I would want to linger, and I didn't. Once again, a bit of perking up would make a world of difference, and would greatly improve the overall spa experience. Furniture outside was dirty, and did not appear to be used often. My guess is that people were like us...had it been a bit more inviting, it would have been a highlight. Rocking chairs, comfy chairs, a hammock, a ceiling fan....it would have been great! Also, if they worked on that area around the spa a bit more, it could be a great alternative outdoor space when they have events going on.

Restaurant was good. Once again, pleased with the wait staff. We ate lightly.... salads and split an entree and they accommodated that without a problem.

Wireless internet, but not great coverage in my room. Usable, but slow.

I hope they perk things up a bit....it has the potential to be an incredible place. For now, I would say that overall it was good...but not great. The people that work there were a highlight, though, and I think with any inn that is the hardest thing to master...so they are well on their way! I am cheering for them!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank stillme123
Salisbury, NC
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We had stayed for the first time at this inn for Thanksgiving and had a great experience. It is a small inn and privately owned. We came back for 3 nights and brought my parents. My stepdad is 96. We had wine and cheese by the fire and moved to the table behind us for dinner. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us. My husband and I attended their "Winter Indulgence weekend." We had a cooking session with their chef and an awesome 7 course meal accompanied by wine from a local winery. The food is excellent and we have been told that the Gamekeeper down the road less than a mile is awesome as well. On our first trip we went hiking. There are many beautiful trails nearby. Because the inn is small you do need to book spa services ahead of time, and check about the hours of operation for the restaurant, because this varies according to the season and planned events. I think you will find the staff very willing to accommodate your needs, if you ask ahead. Try one of their packages and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Both rustic & elegant Inn, Restaurant, & Spa. Scenic long range views of the Blue Ridge. Tucked away in seclusion we thought, but the inn was at guest capacity for ringing in 2010. Winding ice-rimmed road with no shoulder could have been no fun going or getting out had we been blanketed with snow, but there was only a dusting. We arrived after we had dinner, so I can't comment on the fare but the waft from the kitchen once in the lobby smelled divine! We did spend considerable time in the spa, just a few steps outdoors from our room, and the path there well-scraped was a plus because of the chilly 28 degrees night air we encountered walking back uphill to the inn. Brr. Lap Pool was not heated at swim temp but the sauna melted some of me away with incredible gusto! Two styles of music for eve party, we preferred the solo acoustic guitar room, and let others channel to the 2 bars, dancefloors and seating areas well-equipped with lotsa liquid, favors, & candles. Light, healthy breakfast included and needed upon departure. Shabby-chic, old brick, worn wood floors, very inviting overall, hope to return.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We saw the website and were very excited about a special weekend away - Crestwood Inn is in a beautiful location. However, the location was the only positive aspect of our "weekend away".

There was a wedding at the Inn the weekend we stayed, but no one had informed us of that when we booked the reservation. The room was dirty, there was a used bottle of KY jelly under the bed. The Inn was not well staffed - we always had to wait for service (never being acknowledged while waiting!) and all staff could use a seminar in customer service. The Spa services were non existant and the hot tub was "closed for service." We'll never go back.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank charlottenc1
Claremont, NC
Reviewed 28 November 2009

We were so excited to get away over Thanksgiving and do something different. We chose to stay at Crestwood based on their "misleading" website. We had gotten an email saying buy 2 nights, get 1 free so we jumped on it. We also made reservations for Thanksgiving dinner there as well.

The prime rib was good, but it took forever for our drinks orders to even be taken. It took well over 2 hours for us to finish. Our toliet would not flush and they had to come fix it 3 times. The "spa" was located in a different building and it was very cold to walk from one facility to the next. The indoor pool was freezing cold so we could not use it and the hot tub was closed for repairs. My husband got out of the steam room to find no towels. He had to dry off with paper towels. (This was supposed to be a "resort") We asked to book spa services and told there was no one working to perform them. I have to agree with the review before me....it was very understaffed!

The only good points.....the place was clean and the bed slept well. The location was peaceful. That's about all that was good.

I am not looking for perfection, but we were very sad because our stay did not meet the expectations we had based on viewing the website.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maysameh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
#4 of 15 in Blowing Rock
Courtyard Boone
Courtyard Boone
#7 of 18 in Boone

Been to The Inn at Crestwood? Share your experiences!