“Just a place to sleep”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Greensboro, NC
“Just a place to sleep”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Honestly, if you've got the money to stay somewhere else, I would recommend going elsewhere. However, I found a great deal on this hotel for $60 less than the cheapest alternative that I would actually consider staying in, so I had to take it. There are other hotels that are much worse in Boone, and if you get a great deal, the Super 8 is decent enough to serve as a simple place to sleep. The area is safe, and it's close to ASU, but it isn't noisy. The rooms are run down - stains on fabric, rusted areas in the bathroom, damage to furniture - but it is definitely clean. The free breakfast was simple, just cereal, Eggo waffles, toast, apples, and danishes, but it's something.

I only had two major complaints: (1) The beds were completely and utterly worn out. They bowed down in the middle, and it was like sleeping in a bowl. (2) One of the cleaning products left a gag-inducing, chemical smell in the bathroom. The rest of the room smelled fine, but the bathroom had to be aired out upon arrival.

Overall: If you're just looking for a cheap place to stay, and you plan to spend most of your time away from the hotel, this place is okay. However, if they aren't offering an excellent deal, just shell out for the better option. You'll be glad you did.

1 Thank BrittSprink
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. Many travelers are indeed looking for value in their accommodations and I'm happy you were satisfied. Everyone has differing opinions about softness/firmness of beds and pillows. We try to reach a happy medium that will satisfy the majority of our guests. I will pass on to our head housekeeper your concerns about the odor of cleaner in the rooms. Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Oak Ridge, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We arrived at 2:40pm to check in. Yes, we were 20 minutes early for the 3pm check-in. The person at the counter was quick to point this out and said there were no clean rooms available yet. I'm not a math major, but I figure there are 200 rooms in this place and if they don't have one clean room 20 minutes before check-in time they have issues. No big deal, we drove up the street to see what there was to see and got back at 3:00pm. There were 4 other couples standing around in the lobby. We were told that the rooms would be ready shortly and then the excuses started. "We were busy last night." and "We're only running 10 minutes behind schedule." OK - fine, just give me a room.

Then the guy checking us in decides that he'll try an attempt at humor to lighen the mood of those waiting. He asked for my ID, and noted that my wife had made the reservations, so he called me by her name. That might have been funny in a nice hotel. When I didn't laugh he said that their houskeeping didn't realize that the hotel was book solid the previous evening, so they were running behind. When I pointed out that his explanations and excuses weren't getting me checked in any faster, he again claimed that they were only a few minutes behind schedule. I pointed out that making excuses to a guest that only wants to be checked in politely and efficiently isn't helping the matter.

The room.... well let's see... the towels in the trash can in the bathroom should have been the first clue of the problems. The room temp was around 80 degrees, there was no place to plug in the microwave or coffee maker (shouldn't there be sufficient outlets and the appliances already plugged in?), the bathroom door knob is broken and will not latch, the complimentary shower gel and shampoo is empty. I sit down on the corner of the bed to assess the situation and it creaks and moans... the box spring is broken and every movement creates popping sounds from the springs. Oh goody!

Oh well... we'll make do, I tell the wife. We go sight seeing and to a concert and then return to the room. The couple next door are arguing and we are unwitting listeners because the adjoining room doors are hollow and thin. We call the front desk at 11:30pm and ask that they address the noise. It really didn't matter because the sound would have been drowned out by the roar of the air conditioner.

As for the air conditioner, when it ran - it roared. When it got to the comfortable room temperature we set, it shut off and the room temp would swing 10 degrees before it came back on. No amount of adjustment helped make the room comfortable. It was either frigid or it was sweltering.

By morning we were ready to get the complimentary continental breakfast and get out of there. The breakfast consisted of a tray of less-than-appealing danishes, yogurt, or a basket of apples and bananas. Of course there was coffee and juice. Rather than subject ourselves to more of this ambiance - we simply checked out.

Do not plan to have relaxing and enjoyable stay in Boone NC if you include this hotel as part of your plans.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. My expectations were not met either. Our entire staff has been made aware of your review and all department heads are working with their staffs to correct the issues you had. First of all, I can assure you that our Front Desk employee meant no disrespect to you, he was trying to make the best of a situation that became difficult for everyone involved.
There is no excuse for towels being in your trash can. I can't explain that at all. I can promise that it will not happen to another guest. There are 4 outlets in each room, in addition to 2 plugins on a table lamp. I'm sorry that was not sufficient for your needs. We are working on replacing our air conditioning units and in the meantime the Chief Engineer is keeping the old ones running. We are truly a work in progress.
Finally, our breakfast exceeds the standards set by Super 8. In addition to the required breakfast items, we have several approved optional items. We also have the best breakfast attendant in Boone.
Again, I am sorry you were inconvenienced in any way during your stay with us. We would love another chance to host you and I am willing to guarantee your satisfaction. Thank you for your review.

Travellers are raving about these Boone hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was told by a friend in Boone that this Super 8 was only a few years old but when I got to my room, it looked like it was 10+ years old. There was a hole in the carpet the size of a golf ball, a huge hole in the bathroom door was hastily covered with putty, the chair at the desk was terribly stained, and the bedspread had burn holes along with stains of unknown origin. The bathtub faucet did not shut off completely, the shower curtain had mold and mildew growing on it as did the ceiling tiles. There was what I assume a heat lamb that did not work and was not properly installed and the toilet was in desperate need of new caulking at the floor as it wobbled quite a bit. If indeed this hotel is only a few years old, it has not been cared for very well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
I apologize for your experience during your stay. Our Head Housekeeper and our Chief Maintenance Engineer have been made aware of your concerns and are working now to take corrective action.
Orlando
Reviewed 22 June 2014

water in tub and toilet ran a little, but closed the door and didn't bother me. Staff is always friendly, and I have all I need and always a clean room. Even though I don't usually have time to eat breakfast, they have a big dining area and pretty decent selection of food. This is the best price and value in town so I always stay here when I come through. Pool was being repainted when I was there, but it's nice when working- indoors.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your review, it's always good to hear from our regular guests. I am happy to hear that we "consistently" meet your expectations. Our goal is that day-to-day quality in service and cleanliness. I will pass on to our staff your comments and we will look forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Boone
Reviewed 20 June 2014

we were there June 13th and June 14th on the 13th the room was hot as hell woke up at 2 am sweating and there was a dirty nasty washcloth on the shower rod. We couldn't get the remote to work no one told us we had to program the remote every time you turned it on,the was a hole from a cig in the bedspread. Next day they put us in the next room cause of the a.c. and the remote didn't work on the TV and the volume keep changing on it's own the body wash in the dispenser was empty and shampoo was close to being empty as well sorry to say we are coming up in Aug but while we were there we looked for another hotel to stay at I can't go thu that again. The breakfast the toaster didn't work and no one told people when they were waiting for it to cook,i felt that the breakfast could had been better.This was the 1st we had stay at 1 of these Super 8 and the last time too.

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Thank Sheril And Davi... H
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied with your stay here. We try our best to meet our guests' needs.There should not have been an issue with your TV, we have just recently installed Charter Digital service for all of our rooms. This requires a remote for the TV and an additional remote for the cable. I've found that many times guests have unintentionally set the TV to the wrong channel then compounded the problem by trying to reprogram the cable box remote. I would encourage any guest to contact our front desk or maintenance department if and as soon as they become aware of an issue. Our team is great at responding to the needs of our guests.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

first time staying at this location, was a bit let down that the pool was out of order and was empty for some sort of maintenance, but I digress. the front door area needs some cleanup it seemed a bit dirty to me. the desk guy was friendly and checked us in promptly. the room was cool when we arrived so that was nice, but the next thing I noticed were stains all over the carpet. I mean ALL over the carpet. the room smelled clean so it was not dirty as in smell, but it looked really dirty on the carpet. I guarantee there were at least 15 places on the carpet that was stained. the bathroom was large but the shower itself was very small. im a 6 feet 1 man and my head almost touched the ceiling while taking a shower and the shower head itself was probably only 5 feet off the ground so I had to lean over to get under the shower. the beds were very comfortable and I saw no bugs at all. the breakfast was to me a bit poor. waffles you had to heat yourself, yogurt, apples, Danish, and orange juice. I might consider staying here again, but I might also think twice and try somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
jmchap, General Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for your review. Great service from our staff is one of our expectations, we also expect our guests to be satisfied with the rooms we provide. I am sorry we did not fulfill our obligation to you. If you could contact me with the details of your stay I can see that corrections are made.

We would love to have you stay as a guest again, please consider The Super 8 of Boone on your next trip to the High Country.