“Not Terribly Bad”
Review of Super 8 Boone NC

Super 8 Boone NC
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel was cleaned and served well for our purpose of a one night stay as we passed through Boone. My main concern with the hotel was the lack of security as there were two entrances around the back side of the hotel that had no form of key entry. Anyone could enter the second floor of the hotel without being registered guests. Otherwise, not a bad stay but I think I would look elsewhere in Boone for our next stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

I am happy you found Super 8 of Boone suited your needs. I appreciate your concerns, but I assure you there has never been a security problem on this property. Most people find the doors on the 2nd floor one of the major conveniences of our hotel, allowing guests to access their rooms from the parking lot without having to go through the lobby.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
1  Thank Mary N
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Reviewed 30 July 2014

You opened the door and were greeted by a wall, turned the corner and entered a bland lobby, then you noticed how filthy the furniture is. The front desk staff was pleasant enough, but did not look professional. As we entered the first room we checked into, a non-smoking room, we were hit by the horrible odor of smoke. How did housekeeping not notice? Did they report the situation? Then on to the next room, walked in to a horrible, loud buzz of the a/c unit! Down to the lobby for a final try at a room, no more non-smoking rooms. I asked for my money back, the front desk clerk was willing to do that, until he realized I booked through Expedia! What, I just dialed an 800#? I had to call Expedia....I tried talking to 2 different people, for whom English is a second language, and each time was disconnected! I won't ever book with Expedia again! I gave up! We took the last room and decided we would "deal with it" and learn from the experience. They decor was horrible, who knows when the bedspreads were cleaned last, the horrible drop ceiling in the bathroom was just over the door frame, the carpet was disgusting. I called the front desk to see if they could get someone from maintenance to come up and take a look at the a/c, it wasn't putting out much cool air and the sound! 1 hour later, I called to see where he was.."Oh we got really busy, I'll get him right up...." She never contacted maintenance! While we waited, we tried to use the free wifi, but we kept getting dropped! 30 minutes later, he came 'right up' and basically told us the units really aren't that good, don't put out that much air and if someone plays with one, it throws them all off. When I asked about the sound, he told me it was "illegal" for him to touch it! Illegal! Really?! He asked if he could do any thing else for me.......Once we "settled in", it became painfully obvious that not only were we by the elevator, stairs, vending machines and ice machine, but there was no carpet in the high traffic area....we heard every thing, every luggage cart, every piece of wheeled luggage, every little kid, every youth group with chaperons who felt it was acceptable to yell greetings and salutations to the other end of the hall, everyone who filled their coolers at 5 am!
There are a number of items the hotel could do to resolve the noise issues, move the vending machines to the lobby area on the 2nd floor (which by the way is not secure, no hotel key needed to enter), carpet the floor in the high traffic areas and make sure the a/c units are working properly in the guest rooms to block out the sound. The front desk staff knew we were not happy, but did nothing to try and rectify the situation. No offer of comping a night, no offer to discount the rate, nothing. Just another horrible day at the Super 8 in Boone!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

I am so sorry your expectations were not met by our Super 8 of Boone. I really do wish your experience had been better. I guarantee your next stay at the Super 8 will be more to your liking.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I stay the previous year at around the same time. It wasn't like this. I had a pleasant experience last year. First of all, the sink was clogged. The young man who came to repair the sink was prompt and courteous. I couldn't help but see the gunk he took from inside the sink drain.

Another thing that happened was too gross: my quilt had what appeared to be blood stains on the white underside.

And the AC unit had a slow leak.

• Stayed: July 2014

I am sorry your visit was not up to your expectations. I am happy that you were satisfied with the prompt service you received from our maintenance department. I have spoken to the head housekeeper and he has made i thoroughly inspecting the bedding a priority. Thank you for your comments and please feel welcome to return to Super 8 of Boone.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The outside of the hotel looks great. The staff is amazing, kind and respectful. The inside of the hotel needs a complete make over. And should be made a smoke free facility. The mattress and boxsprings are way bigger than the headboards. As soon as we checked in we had to ask for towels and washcloths because they only put enough for two people in our room when they were told when our reservation were made on line that there would be two adults and two children. When we called the front desk for what we needed we were told that we had to come to the front desk to get it. The next morning we left and upon our return we had no maid service. When i spoke with the maid on our floor she stated that she was the only one on the floor and she had been instructed to only clean the rooms where people had checked out. I gathered my own dirty towels and washcloths and took them to her to get clean ones only to have her tell me she didnt have enouh to give me and we would have to wait untill she coud get more clean ones. While talking to her i watched her put clean sheets on the bed she was working on and then put the dirty comforter off the floor right back on the bed. Even the no smoking floor smelled of smoke. We did enjoy our stay there and all the staff was great from the front desk to the lady that worked the
dinningroom for breakfast. The only problem with the super 8 is the smoking and the inside needs some serious updating. the mattress, i cant even begin to describe how they felt.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your very kind words regarding our staff, they work very hard ensuring each guest has the best stay possible. You are right about our breakfast attendant, she makes everyone's stay memorable. I hope your requests were answered quickly. We try to impress on our staff that all guest requests are urgent to the guest regardless of what the request is. I have spoken with the Head of Housekeeping, we have instructed employees to honor guest requests as soon as possible, I look forward to your next visit with us here in Boone, NC.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This property is located off the main drag through town, away from all eateries. No laundry. Was told one price on phone and charged more upon check-in. Rooms are in serious need of updates. With 3 adults and 2 kids, we needed more than one bottle of shampoo. The manager was a complete jerk and very sternly and firmly told the young man working the desk "NO, to the shampoo". Pool was nice. Would NOT stay here again due to how management treated us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

I am sorry you feel that you were treated unkindly while you were at our Super 8. We were in fact out of the courtesy bottles of shampoo and lotion, pending a delivery which came early the next day. Ryan,my front desk clerk, was diligent enough to go searching out of use laundry carts for the few bottles he found.
i wish you had mentioned to me that you were charged a different rate. Many times, when one does not call our hotel direct, a third party vendor will quote a rate somewhat different from our daily rate. This is often due to vendor specific promotions. We cannot match those rates due to obligations to the vendors. Most times we can come close to quoted rates. But had you mentioned that, we could have made adjustments to your rate.
Again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
jmchap, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014