“Great place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boone
Hidden Valley Motel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Huntington, West Virginia
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We've stayed here twice when we've been to Boone on business. It's spotlessly clean. I wish they would come clean my house--especially the bathrooms. The gardens are beautiful and the price is very reasonable. I enjoyed looking at the old Packards in the shed. Nice mom and pop business who really care about the property. We're late risers, so take note of the 10:00 am check out ;-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tera Cora, Curacao
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Great atmosphere, hospitality and value. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a locally owned, authentic place to stay while visiting the Carolina High Country. Already planning my return trip next month with my wife. I can't imagine a better place to stay near Boone!

• Stayed June 2013
Beaver Dam, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

We were traveling through on a motorcycle trip checked out the reviews. If you are looking for good over night stay this is it. This is nothing fancy but very unique. Loved the atmosphere, the owners are very nice and very helpful in suggesting where to eat. If we are passing through the area again we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dayton
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here while on a family motorcycle trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Jim & Maxine will treat you like family and welcome you to their place. Rooms are cozy and quaint and you will enjoy the peaceful front porch! We had a great stay and were back on the road early the next morning.

• Stayed June 2013
Somerset Kentucky
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I have went to Boone almost every year since 96 in October and have stayed at many of the chain motels. Two years ago I found this place through this web site and discovered I could have a nice room for about half the price of the chain motels. No swimming pool or breakfast but really nice owners who care about a happy customer. Our room both times was charming and very clean. I will return this fall for another stay. I meant to leave a review when I stayed but must have done something wrong because it is not there.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank farmbo29
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We (group of 3 adults) stayed here while skiing in the Boone/Banner Elk area. This is a price-gouging tourist area, but at this motel we were able to get 2 queen beds, a bathroom, a fridge, and a microwave for $95. That is exactly what we needed, which is great, but it's also nothing more. It's clean and the beds were comfortable, but It's still a low-key motel. I would recommend to bring dishes if you'll need them, a hairdryer, be prepared to make breakfast, etc. The internet works great, the heaters function perfectly (just read the labels on the buttons.... it's honestly not hard to regulate). Location is great to get to all the area ski resorts, the price was great, and we will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lauren F
JimBoone, Owner at Hidden Valley Motel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Thank you Lauren for the kind review.

We do have a hair dryer or two available on request if needed by a guest, just ask.

To be fair and clear to future guests, there is a fridge in every room and microwaves in the two large family rooms. I do have an extra microwave and you had the lucky room where that extra one was located, but if it is important to a guest please ask when making a reservation.

Thanks, Jim & Maxine
South Carolina
Reviewed 2 January 2013

You will get what you pay for here. Paid $95 for a two queen room at the end of December. The owners are attentive and work to make this a good place to stay. Beds are very firm - probably new. Bathrooms are very clean. The biggest problem is the heat (or air). Ours was impossible to regulate - a single unit against the back wall. There is not an air vent in the bathroom - so there is really no heat or air in the bathroom (which can be rather uncomfortable). The owners did not vacuum the room on the second day - even though it needed it from the salt/sand that had been tracked into the room. Nice to have a refrigerator in the room. We brought our own coffee pot based on prior reviews. No hair dryer or iron in the room. The adjoining rooms can be rather noisy from doors opening and closing. Checkout routine included being out by 10 am (too early) and leaving the key in the door (wondered about safety issues with this). Probably would not stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
JimBoone, Owner at Hidden Valley Motel, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
I appreciate your review and apologize that we failed to meet all of your expectations.

Please note that the listed room cost is the total after adding sales and lodging taxes and not the actual room rate, I hope guests would find our rates reasonable for our area.

I can’t dispute the heat/cool system; it is typical of most small motels. I sleep in an identical room and like my bedroom cold, so yes it can make for a chilly bath if the bedroom is cold.

I dislike the control design on the units as turning the control to a lower number increases the temperature which may not be the expected result.

An early check out time (10am) also allows an early check in time (noon), which one has value depends on the desire of the individual guest; the original idea of the earlier check out time was the hope of our being free in time to attend church on Sunday.

Keys don’t usually stay exposed for long, we check as we see vehicles departing and a key in the knob is our flag that we may clean the room.

We are an older property, a hair dryer and iron are available to guests on request along with the precaution to please not expect to operate them all at the same time as there is not a dedicated circuit for those extra appliances.

Our grandson would say our beds were too firm while I would consider them too soft for my back; it is a matter of individual preference. We offer a choice of hard and soft pillows, but to be safe please consider our beds as reasonably firm and hopefully you won’t be disappointed.

Noise depends in part on other guests visiting at the same time and perhaps the season of the year. The winter season tends to bring younger more active individuals than some seasons of the year, I don’t think that is exclusive to only our location, in any case I’m sorry you were disturbed and did not have a better experience while visiting. Thanks again, Jim