“Server where r u?”

Price range: US$0 - US$15
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A trip to Boone took us to Peppers, a first time visit for my husband. Our drink order was taken fairly promptly but unfortunately the sever's attentiveness went downhill from there. My husband could have eaten three salads before he was given the plate and then we had to ask. The wait for the meals was rather long but the food when finally received was good. I had the roast beef in a croissant with au jus and it was delicious. My husband liked his Reuben as well. In fairness to our server we were in a booth with high walls and therefore unable to see how many other diners he may have been waiting on.

1  Thank M H

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Each time I swear it is the last time but everyone wants to go, remembering how it was. We it was good now its barely poor. I order the triple app of fried mushrooms, onion rings and cheese sticks. The menu said the onions rings and mushrooms were done fresh daily, they tasted old, both batter and the oil they were fried in. My companion had the sprout sandwich, the chips and the pickle were the best part of the meal. We did split a carrot cake cupcake which was okay.

It was pricey for what we got. The apps were terrible and not fresh at all.

Now I watched the staff. I watched a wait person comb and put her hair up at the station by the salad bar. The hostess did the same well at the cashier register. Both had long hair and had to bend over and toss their hair. Not what I want to see while eating. I know this is a casual place but the hostess had on a 'summer camp' outfit and had to keep pulling at her shorts to keep them down.

Sadly the owner was there. I do not expect any improvement in this place it has gone down hill over the years and seems to be content to live on past laurels.

1  Thank strollingbonez
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Very impressed by Pepper's. A stop here has been routine for us on our return trips to Boone for years now. Very good menu, great staff and always a great experience. Highly recommend this place for a bite to eat while visiting the High Country!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Haven't been to Pepper's for awhile - have been going for over 20 yr. Tonight was possibly our last for dinners. No longer have our favorite: teriyaki chicken & steak; also prices have gone up considerably. Service was still very good & staff still friendly. Might go for lunch sometimes, but not dinner

jdubyapepper, General Manager at Pepper's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hi Vince.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with the fact that we took your favorite item off the menu. As a business owner we are faced with many decisions each day that could make or break our business. In regards to our selection, we feel like we have something for everyone. The two menu items you identified were great menu items but could not be left on the menu due to constraints with space.

The dinner menu had to be updated and these two things simply didn't make the cut. there are over 80 items on our menu. There are a lot of new restaurants in Boone and consumers tastes have changed since we opened in 1975. We have to change with the times while still respecting the customers that supported us the whole way. Each time we make a change we labor over the decision knowing that we will definitely take something off that somebody likes. Thank you for making an already difficult decision even harder. You can see all of the fine choices at http://www.peppers-restaurant.com/menus/

Next i'd like to point out that our prices most certainly have gotten higher over the years. This is a fact of life.

Our prices represent an extremely narrow margin where we are rolling the dice to attempt to make a profit. The wholesale cost of food has gone through the roof in the last few years due to draughts and other natural disasters. I'm sure if you watch the news you have seen how meat across the board is at an all time high. http://nypost.com/2014/06/18/meat-poultry-and-fish-prices-spike-to-all-time-high/

Where we have passed on about a 10% increase in price, we have absorbed nearly another 60% increase in costs. We have done this in an attempt to not offend our customers.

Thank you for the compliment on our service. We always put our customers first and will keep this commitment as long as we are open for business. I hope you'll still join us for lunch. We care very much about each person that helps put food our families tables, pay our employees, and allows us to give back to the community that we care about.

JWP

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Arrived in Boone, NC for an event. Friday evening 6 of us headed to Pepper's Restaurant on the recommendation of the staff at the Holiday Inn Express. Friday evening we had excellent service and the food was good.

On Wednesday evening we returned to the restaurant because our Friday night experience was good. This time we had 10 people and said we could be seated in a couple of groups if this would help them. We were quoted a 20 minute wait and that turned into a 40 minute wait. Ugh! We were seated together thus the service was horrible. People seated long after us received their meals before we received our appetizers. We saw people seated after us come and go. The meals finally arrived after an hour and a half. Some of us never received our entire meal. No salad, no onion rings, fries, etc. Waitress asked us one time in 2 hours if we'd like refills on our drinks. We of course we needed refills!!! Of course the waitress was quick to deliver our checks to us when she finally came by and asked if we needed anything else. At this point we all had finished the food we received and gave up on asking for the food items we never got. I finally went to the hostess area and asked for the manager on duty. I spoke with a nice young man and explained the events of the evening. I said Friday evening was great and I had recommended this restaurant to others attending this event. Saturday evening experience was a disappointment. By this time our friends had paid their bills and were in the parking lot waiting for me. The manager on duty offered to discount our bills but I explained everyone had checked out so that wasn't possible. I asked that the manager on duty to please address these issues. I also said I didn't know if it was poor service on the waitress or the issue was in the kitchen. I was assured both waitress and kitchen staff would be addressed. Would I recommend to others? If there's just 2 or 4 in your party I would say yes. For larger parties I would not consider.