“Needed a place to eat late and it wasn't a good choice.”

Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar
Ranked #38 of 150 Restaurants in Boone
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Boone's original Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar since 1981. Makoto's is the Best Tasting Show in Town! Watch our chefs perform their culinary magic tableside or for a more intimate dining experience, dine in our Sushi Bar. Enjoy the views of our Japanese garden from every table.No reservations. Full ABC permits. Visa, MC, Amex, Discover cards accepted. No personal checks. Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Dinner (Open Christmas Eve Lunch 11:00-2:00), Christmas Day.
Cary, North Carolina, United States
“Needed a place to eat late and it wasn't a good choice.”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Needed a place to eat late that was not fast food. Turned out we should have gone to get fast food. The floors were very dirty. My son was given his tea and started drinking it to find a pile of food on the bottom of the inside of the glass. Not a way to start off. Food wasn't bad but not great. I would have enjoyed the experience more if the place was clean.

• Visited September 2013
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at our restaurant. We strive for great food, great service and a great time for all. I am sorry we did not live up to that for your family. It would be my pleasure to make this up to you next time you are visiting the Boone area. Please feel free to contact me via email at gwen@makotos-boone.com or call 828-264-7976. I am sorry that this matter was not taken care of the time of your visit. Please allow us to show a great time on your next visit.

Deep Gap, North Carolina
“Good Show”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Food was good but wish the grill top had been cleaner. Also carpet needs to be cleaned. Still its a lot nicer and cleaner then the old Place. Overall a good time.

• Visited July 2013
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your visit at Makoto's. We welcome feedback positive or negative. I am glad you enjoyed your meal and the chef show. I have made a note of your comments regarding the grill tops and carpet. Our chefs are sure to clean the grill top before and after each meal. As the table gets bussed, debris may fall so I will make the bussers aware. We are also on schedule for carpet cleaning every 6-8 weeks. I hope you will stop in next time you are in Boone. Be sure to introduce yourself.

Greenwich, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Went for the Electric Car Charging Station & Loved the Food!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

You can genuinely say that I traveled over 700 miles to eat at Makato's and it would be truthful. The owners own and believe in the power of electric cars and have done a tremendous service to their community in Boone and those wanting to visit (in TESLA cars) by installing a J1772 charging station in front of their restaurant. As they don't charge patrons to charge while dining, we made sure to arrive in the evening and had our first of several meals during our 4 day stay. Whether it be lunch or dinner, the food was excellent and the service was equally so, even the owners are a handsome and attentive couple. My visit to Boone could not have been accomplished (in my Tesla) without the forethought and generosity of this couple who inversted in this technology and then provided a greater service by matching that level of service and quality in their restaurant. Keep up the good work! One last point I have to mention, as I employ a large number of people, I am sensitive to the conduct of employees in general and based on those at Makato's, the owners have a wonderful working relationship with them as they were phenomenal. To a man, they represented themselves and their establishment to a standard rivaling that of "owner". without exception I was made to feel like they could each find a way to help me independent of their boss' and that is an admiral quality both owner/employee should be proud of.

1 Thank Michael G
It was a pleasure meeting you all. I cannot believe you drove 700 miles to eat at Makoto's. It was nice seeing another Tesla charging in our lot. Thank you for your kind words regarding our employees. I am so glad they represent Makoto's in a positive way and make our guests feel at home.

Millers Creek, North Carolina, United States
“Family Event”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My Family Had Lunch On Wednesday 07/17/13...........Great Food........Very Nice Owner....Really Enjoyed Talking To Her....And The Rest Of The Staff Were Great Too. I Highly Recommend This Restaurant. Not To Mention My Sister Drives 1000 Miles To Come Home To NC. On Vacation And We Always Have To Go To Makoto' It Is A Family Tradition <3 Thanks To Gwen The Owner We Always Enjoy It <3

• Visited July 2013
Thank you for your nice review of our restaurant. We love having families get together at Makoto's. It makes for a great time for you and us. I look forward to having you dine with us again soon so we can chat!

Carlow, Ireland
“Decent sushi”
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Sushi was good, tempura was just ok.
Service was good. We didn't do the hibachi, but from what I saw, it looked like a great show.

I found the tv's a but distracting.

Visited July 2013
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed your visit to Makoto's. We strive for great food, great service all in a great atmosphere. I hope you will stop in again. Maybe you can try the teppanyaki side and watch our chefs put on the Best Tasting Show in the High Country.

Warm regards,