“Just a Sandwich”
Review of The Red Onion Cafe

The Red Onion Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Onion Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 152 Restaurants in Boone
Price range: US$10 - US$23
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Red Onion is a local restaurant that has been serving the High Country across from Appalachian State for over 30 years. Our menu ranges from lunch time favorites to local delicacies and exquisite entrees. With a wonderful waitstaff customer satisfaction is always our top priority and we promise you a meal you will feel good about.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stopped at Red Onion since it was highly rated on TripAdvisor. It was okay. I had a club sandwich and fries. Nothing amazing--just a sandwich. The interior seating area seemed nice enough. The staff refilled drinks and were prompt and friendly. Prices were about what we expected at $10-12 for lunch. Can't complain I guess, but the food was just okay. I think I was expecting a bit more based on the TripAdvisor rating, but I guess a top 25 restaurant in Boone is different from a top 25 restaurant in a bigger city--diner beware.

There are newer reviews for The Red Onion Cafe

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I went here for a lunch date with a friend and loved it. We got seated right away, and our waiter was quick and very kind. I ordered the teriyaki chicken sandwich and it was delish. I will in back.

1  Thank sandcmom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had high hopes for this restaurant after reading the other reviews on tripadvisor. We were seated quickly inside and the waitress took our drink order right away. When she came back I asked her about the spinach and artichoke quesadilla. It mentioned on the menu that it was spicy. She said that it wasn't too spicy and that it was one of her favorite things on the menu. So, I ordered it. When it arrived and I cut into it, I noticed that there was chicken inside. After I tasted it, I looked inside the tortilla and saw that there was indeed plenty of chicken, but not spinach at all. It was OK, but I was disappointed that I didn't get what I ordered. My dining companion had the chicken caesar salad which came out piping hot and tasted very good, and french onion soup that he said was "a little weak." The salad also came with a warm whole wheat roll that tasted delicious! When the bill came I saw that the quesadilla was $3 more than the price on the menu, probably because of the added chicken. If I ate here again I would probably order something on the homemade bread and repeat my order to make sure that I was getting what I wanted.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently checked out this restaurant while visiting Boone, which was recommended to me by an acquaintance. I ordered the Lemon-Poppy Salmon Salad, which had cranberries, goat cheese, etc. With the lemon-poppy seed dressing poured over both the salad and the salmon, it totally tied the whole dish together very nicely. I typically take half my entrees home with me in a doggy bag, but on this occasion, I had to finish the whole thing! I sat outside on the patio for dinner, and it was cool enough in June to need a sweater, which I fortunately had with me. I would recommend this pleasant restaurant for a nice dining experience.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had eaten at the Red Onion several years ago and liked it, so we decided to go back. Many of the menu items were similar to what we remembered, but they had also added new options. I had the Salmon Spinach Salad, which was quite good. It had dried cranberries, nuts, goat cheese and a nice, light dressing. The salmon was cooked perfectly. The wait staff was attentive and welcoming.

They have limited outdoor seating on a covered patio, and the weather was cooperative for enjoying this feature.