“Good food, slow service”
Review of The Red Onion Cafe

The Red Onion Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Onion Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 152 Restaurants in Boone
Price range: US$10 - US$23
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Red Onion is a local restaurant that has been serving the High Country across from Appalachian State for over 30 years. Our menu ranges from lunch time favorites to local delicacies and exquisite entrees. With a wonderful waitstaff customer satisfaction is always our top priority and we promise you a meal you will feel good about.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hubby and I ate here for lunch on a Saturday. We sat indoors as we had been hiking and wanted to sit in the AC. Outdoor patio was almost full, but only one other couple was indoors. By the time we left, there were a lot more folks inside. The ambiance and décor were nice. We enjoyed our food-- burger and fries for my husband, salad and quiche for me. The menu said the beef was local, and my husband said the burger was good. The quiche was delicious, and my kale salad was ok. I did think the kale was a bit bitter, though. Service was slow. Server visited our table only intermittently during the meal. Would've liked more attentive service. Other servers did seem to be better; perhaps we just got someone who wasn't that great. This restaurant has been here for 30 years, so they must be doing something right. Very convenient location on a main road, directly across from ASU.

There are newer reviews for The Red Onion Cafe

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Came in last Saturday with the family, had to wait 30 minutes to be seated. When we were finally seated, our waitress, trina I believe. Seemed flustered and frustrated. Our salads came out after 20 more minutes, and when we finally got them and asked for more dressing, she rolled her eyes and there was audible complaining coming from the kitchen. She did not return for 15-20 minutes. Service continued to be slow and lacking for the rest of the meal. My wife's salmon and my trout were delicious. Food is great, but sadly will not be returning due to inexperienced waitstaff.

1  Thank Jeffinnc
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stopped in for lunch, and sat on the outside terrace. The terrace had a nice crowd and somehow seemed a better atmosphere than the inside. Service was attentive and flawless. The menu had a reasonable selection if one is not seeking fine dining (which at lunchtime for the typical American style, is quite appropriate). There is a nice selection of wines not overpriced, and the food was exactly what we were expecting for a nice lunch: flatbread with an interesting twist of cheese/vegetables (we added the house made hot sauce) & a variety of salads. Two thumbs up.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Ate at Red Onion for dinner after son's graduation in May. Server was excellent. Very attentive. Our food was great. The salmon on polenta was wonderful. Would return in a heartbeat!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stopped at Red Onion since it was highly rated on TripAdvisor. It was okay. I had a club sandwich and fries. Nothing amazing--just a sandwich. The interior seating area seemed nice enough. The staff refilled drinks and were prompt and friendly. Prices were about what we expected at $10-12 for lunch. Can't complain I guess, but the food was just okay. I think I was expecting a bit more based on the TripAdvisor rating, but I guess a top 25 restaurant in Boone is different from a top 25 restaurant in a bigger city--diner beware.