“Tale of Two Visits....”

Cuisines: American
B Rock
“Tale of Two Visits....”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We have had occassion to visit Ruby Tuesdays twice recently. Once with another couple and a second time with two other couples. If I were to rate our first experience, I would probably give the place an overall 4 stars........our second visit was, however, a huge letdown - at best a below average two star rating.

Our food on our first visit was very good....on our second visit I had a steak which I had ordered medium rare, but which arrived medium well.......and was gristly as well as dried out. Other diners were satisfied with their meals...
The differences in our two visits were primarily in the quality of the service ....On our first visit we sat in the bar area and were served by a professional waitress who knew how to care for customers. On our second visit, we were unable to acquire a table in the bar area and were seated in the main dining room and were served by a very nice young woman who had no idea what she was doing as a waitress. When our drink orders were taken promptly, we weren't served them until at least 5 minutes had passed and we were able to flag down our waitress and inquire about them. We ordered three appetizers to share among the 6 of us....two appetizers were brought out in a reasonable time frame, the other lagged behind significantly. One of the appetizers was a shrimp fondue served with an "unending supply of tortilla chips"...We were served the dish with = at most - a dozen torilla chips which we quickly finished. This left more than half the fondue "undipped" and we asked for more chips. After another long wait, we stopped our server again and inquired about the chips. "Oh" she said, "did you want them BEFORE your meals?" By the time the chips were actually brought, the fondue had cooled into a lumpy mess and was no longer appetizing.

Boone is a difficult restaurant town....restaurants largely depend on the large student population from ASU for their wait staffs. This is a fact of life here that almost all the other restaurants have learned to deal with. High turnover and inexperienced help is commonplace.

It's unfortunate that Ruby Tuesday's management doesn't have a more effective training program for their servers.

It makes it hard to rate a restaurant when service and food was so "above average" on one occasion and so "below average" on the next.

I rated this place "average" in a review a year or so ago....if I were to 'average' the two ratings from my recent two visits, I suppose I would have to rate them about the same way. It's unfortunate that they are so inconsistant.

• Visited December 2013

nc
“Very slow service!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

4 of us, 2 couples, went to Ruby Tuesday for a late lunch last Sunday. We were quite hungry and just stopped at one of the first places we came to. My husband ordered the salad bar, I ordered a hamburger and the other couple just ordered 2 appetizers as their meals. We sat there for over 45 minutes....waiting for our food. When it finally came, the Guacamole had the avocado skin in it and the hamburger was dry…but we were starving, so we ate on. After we finished, another waitress brought us the check and all 4 dishes were on 1 check. She looked surprised when we asked her to split it. I will not go to this Ruby Tuesday or the one near where I live again!

• Visited September 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
“Better than most”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We ate here because it was close to our hotel. Our steaks were very good. Better than other Ruby Tuesdays we have been too.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank retiretravel46
“Unenjoyable”
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

First it was so hot in the restaurant I was sweating everywhere and I stay cold. Everyone was complaining and the waiter said his manager would not turn the AC on. Miserable but I was starved. Salad bar was the worst I've seen at a Ruby's ... brown lettuce and broccoli ...watery veggies- just bad. My mini burgers and baked potato came out but the cheese wouldn't melt as it was very old ...tale tell by the hard white film on it. I was craving a baked potato and really I should have went to Wendy's and got a dollar potato. I was too hot to even try to eat and a little disgusted so I left and had a can of ravioli for supper. Gross!

• Visited May 2013
Banner Elk NC
“There are much better places to eat in Boone”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

First off, I don't know how this place rates a 94 sanitation rating. The floors, the walls, the ceilings, the light fixtures, the blinds, everything had splotches of dirt and grime. Second, the food is just blah. If you want a really good salad bar, go to Pepper's...It's the same price and much better. I'm a local yokel and eat at Ruby Tuesday's at least once a year since it has opened, but no more. The place is a dump for tourist's to eat in. The nail in the coffin on this visit was a hair in my chicken noodle soup. It was just to much for me to stomach.

• Visited March 2013