“1950's Motel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mineral Bluff, Georgia
“1950's Motel”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed two nights while visiting the Pisgah National Forest. I made reservations via the phone specifically asking if they accepted pets. I was told yes with an extra charge. When we arrived to check in we had a reservation for the front of the motel but when my husband told her we had a dog we were instructed to go to the back of the motel. The lady at the front desk didn't note it on the file evidently. There were two rooms in the back, the first room we went to was nicely decorated however it smelled like dog/cat pee. The kitchen was being worked on so there was paint & tools in the middle of the floor.

We asked to be moved we got the room next door. Some updating had been completed but certainly was not as cute as the pictures shown online of the other rooms. The room was clean but outdated. Our bed was comfortable & it was quiet since it's on the back side.

If you have a dog I would suggest you find another place to stay. Or if you smoke this isn't the place for you. They are serious about their smoking policy (which isn't a bad thing) but feel you should know.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the motel. Make sure they understand you are travelling with an anim...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kaybama
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback but are very sorry that you were shuffled around. The person who took the reservation obviously did not put you in a pet-friendly room when you made your reservation if you guaranteed you would be bringing a pet. We have 20 rooms, 4 are pet friendly 2 in the front and 2 in the back so the front rooms must have been filled already. I wrote you a personal email but you did not respond but I still hope you will consider giving us another try if you come back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Parrish, Florida, United States
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed four nights and slept very well. The room was a double queen and was clean and comfortable. We were visiting family in the off season so we had the place to ourselves which made it very quiet. The location is close to the downtown area. There are great shops and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review. Lori
Saint Augustine, Florida, United States
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed here for the Swank 65 MTB race. It was a nice and cozy room and the bed was super comfy. Everyone I met was really nice. The only downside is that the walls were a little thin and you could sometimes hear what was going on next door.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sean H
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
We do try to cater to those who like to play in the woods so we are very glad you were pleased. We apologize for the disturbance you experienced. Consider asking for a box fan if you stay again or let us know if someone is disturbing and we'll play the "heavy" for you during office hours. Thank you again - Guido :-)
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We tried the Sunset, hoping to find a nice place to stay while we are moving to Brevard, that also accepted pets. This place is great, Lori couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. Room was spotlessly clean, we had everything we need. We will stay here every time we are in Brevard until we move. Save money and stay in a neat place

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike J
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
You are very kind. Thank you for giving us such a great review. It helps to know when/how we please our guests. We hope to add some special options this year so we hope to see you on a future trip! Thank you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is a lovingly rescued blast from the past still in progress. Lava lamps, 33 vinyl on the walls, pink flamingos outside your room, giant metal chickens, righteous neon signage, front desk staff who learn your names and love you to sit a while and visit. Mention a room improvement and owner/entrepreneur/genius Lori reached for a pad and pen to write it down, nodding, saying thanks.

We were nice. Staff were super nice back. Be nice, call or email 'em in advance to say what you need and they'll recommend which room. Rooms are different themes, different sizes, different pros and cons. Look at the generous pix on their website and ask. I needed to be away from road noise and potentially rowdy neighbors so we sprung for the huge (bigger than my apartment!) cabin in back that's sheltered from traffic.

Motels in the 50s did not always have mandatory daily housekeeping. Sunset doesn't either. Need something? Ask! Else they'll respect your privacy and stay out. Yay! This means no ringing phone at dawn, nobody banging on the door or just plain unlocking and walking in on you. No rattling carts and ruckus of cleaning staff. No creepy feeling when you come back and find your possessions moved while they cleaned. How awesome is that!!

We arrived with all our own toiletries but most were present anyway and they've more IF you ask nicely. Prepacked coffee was typical institutional so-so but, geez, the heavenly Blue Ridge bakery is a two minute walk away.

Cabin was clean above and beyond. NO smoking anywhere so no butts in the parking lot, no iffy smell in the room, no typical burn holes on the furnishings. Yay! Cabin was generously furnished and decorated with beds for 6. Kitchen even had a washer/dryer. WOW!

TVs? Cable? Wifi? Cell coverage? No idea. You're in breathtaking Brevard, waterfall central of the USA, get offline, tune out, and get outside and play already. Walk to downtown in 5 minutes. Drive to see a few dozen waterfalls, mountaintop Smokies views that put you in touch with your deity of choice. Or chill out, start a BBQ, hang out in the lobby and exchange silly banter with the staff.

In all my life, I do not recalling having such a swell time anywhere that I hugged the owner when I left. I'll be back soon and often, and probably bearing a couple of retro decorations gathering dust here that would be perfect there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JN1901A
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a couple a weeks ago while in town for a family reunion. The room was clean and you can see the owner has completed lots of renovations. Size of the room was fine as well. Only issue I had was the same as another reviewer recently stated and that was the online booking. I made a reservation online for an apartment that they offer above the office area that was available at the time and two days later I got a phone call telling me that in fact that it was not available. So I was offered another room that was a little more in price but I took it anyway. I emailed the owner and she responded about two weeks later to tell me that their online system doesn't work very well. I also asked about a discount that was supposed to be offered to people in town for the reunion and I had booked before the cutoff date but was told I was too late and that not enough people had made arrangements to stay so she couldn't honor them. I didn't bother to push this since it's kinda obvious they have issues with there computer system or the operators. Long story short I would stay here again but next time I will try to make the reservation over the phone instead.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rca72
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for writing a review! First, let me apologize again for our online booking errors. The good news is that we have a sophisticated POS system to put in place starting December that will eliminate these problems. (We couldn't install in high season without major disruption in service.)

As for group booking, this is an area of concern for us. All hotels have cut-off deadlines for group bookings that are done individually. After a time,we cannot save rooms for people who may not book and turn others away if we are close to the date. Since we are much lower in price than the other 2 respected hotels in town, even our full rates in high season can be 40% to 55% lower on weekends .

We're glad to hear you would stay again and we hope to see you next year! Lori
Summerfield, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The Sunset Motel is an old '50's slightly renovated one with, as one reviewer said, quirky details. If you know ahead of time that beds will not be made, trash will not be taken out, and clean towels will be provided only if you put your dirty ones outside the door in your appropriate chair, well, then you will not be taken back by these different approaches to hotel service.

Rooms were small; our beds made so much noise when we turned over that we sometimes woke each other up. The bathroom was larger than some more modern locations, but ours was not really clean...needed a paint job for sure. The little closet in our room looked as if it had not been used for a very long time. Curtains were new, but the rods reflected many years of use. Artsy items and colorful bedspreads help to add cheer to an otherwise rather dark room. No breakfast items provided.

Mamagement was prepared for our check-in and was very nice. Location is also a plus, within a walking distance of the historic downtown, at least, for most in our group. Parking slots must be based on the 50's car sizes, as a large SUV has trouble fitting in.

I lived the 50's and don't really want to return to the limited situations of the motels in that era, but for younger people who think this is cute, the Sunset Motel will be fine. As for me, and at the same high price of the "leaf" season, I would prefer a more modern motel.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the front, not the back side, if you want to gather with friends. However, do bring ea...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lynda W
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I'm sorry that we did not fit your needs and it does sound like you expected us to be something different and I'm sorry for the confusion. We do offer daily cleaning upon request. That is made clear in a sign at check in, in our quick welcome spiel, on your room receipt and in your guest brochure. You are correct that we do not offer breakfast. The way we stay one of the lowest lodging options in Brevard is by cutting out expensive add-ons or making them optional. I understand that we don't suit everyone and am sorry you were disappointed. There are many great lodging options here and we hope you find one you like! Lori
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brevard
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brevard
#3 of 11 in Hendersonville
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
Etowah Valley Golf & Resort

Been to Sunset Motel? Share your experiences!