“Cute and Convenient!”

Sunset Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brevard
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Arrived for the weekend and we enjoyed a wonderful sweet stay! I thought I had made an online reservation, when in fact I had not! However, owner was quite nice and gave us a wonderful room for both nights! We will definitely go back! It's close to downtown, we walked alot, and is also convenient to Dupont Forest!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
lorileigh63, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Wow! 5 stars on all fronts with you! Thank you so much for sharing your enthusiasm with the online community. We are eternally grateful when guests take the time to write reviews like yours.
Please come back.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This little boutique motel has been renovated and retrofitted to its original 1950s-era glory, with some 21st-century conveniences included. The rooms come in a variety of sizes, and we rented one of the larger ones with two beds. Ours had pink tile on the bathroom walls and tiny black and white tiles on the floor (room 14). The bathroom has a tiny little window in the tub area, which I left open while showering. I was treated to a couple of bluebirds flying back and forth to the large tree just outside the window, which was fun to watch while showering. The showerhead was wonderful, by the way. The room and the bathroom was immaculate. The room came with a flat-screen t.v., a mini-fridge, a microwave, a coffee-maker, and a blow dryer. The a.c. worked very well.

Lori, our hostess, was a delight; she was responsive, prompt, and helpful with our requests. For example, in an effort to conserve water, maid service is not automatic, but if one desires it, just let Lori know and it will be done. If one just needs the towels refreshing or more coffee for the next morning, she will see to it. Her "can-do" attitude was a welcome change from some of the customer service received at the more expensive motels and hotels we've stayed in.

If you're looking for all of the bells and whistles, such as a hot breakfast, a swimming pool, or workout facilities, you need to look elsewhere. If you're looking for a clean room with the amenities mentioned above, if you like unique little motels with an innate charm and a personality all of their own, if you like owners who care for their property and for their guests' comfort, then the Sunset Motel is for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OldHandatThis

We are grateful for your kind words about The Sunset Motel. It is always a great pleasure to hear about new customers like yourself discovering us. We are committed to providing unique quality and flavors that you will enjoy and hopefully keep you coming back. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This quaint lil' motel was like a picture out of a family memory book! It was like we stepped back in time. For me it was like the first beach motel I stayed at in Florida in the 50's! Wow!
From the moment we walked into the front office and Courtney greeted us with a warm smile until the last minute and we knew it was time to go. . . Staying at the Sunset Motel was Fun!
If you are tired of those big, fancy hotels along that fast interstate and want to really experience the joy of traveling like it used to be, treat yourself to this quiet, clean and cozy motel! It is close enough to downtown Brevard to enjoy the best restaurants, gallery browsing and shopping. . . all within minutes. Brevard is also close to Hendersonville where there are many shops and galleries to enjoy.
Check out Sunset Motel and tell Courtney "Bea from Tennessee recommended Sunset Motel."

Room Tip: Corner Room # 11 was nice for sitting outside and feeling like you were not in the middle of things.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I drive all over the US and Canada, and check into a half-dozen motels every week we're on the road. We prefer to stay in retro, court-layout motels that feature parking at the door of your room. The Sunset Motel takes retro a happy step further with 1950s-themed rooms that harmonize with the architecture. This place is a little gem, owned and managed by folks who really care about their clientele, as well as the place itself. We're pretty fussy people, but our room more than satisfied our need for clean, and we stayed two nights. The wall-mounted heating/cooling unit was new and was much quieter than is typical in such places. We're planning a return to Brevard in a couple of months, and will surely stay at the Sunset again.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the two larger rooms in the end unit across from the office.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A friend and I were on a road trip and wanted to stay in a real, old fashioned motel. We were so happy to find the Sunset. The office was full of cool decorations, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the owner was a really nice person, who made us feel like old friends. The whole place had an (intentional) retro feel, but was very updated where it counts. The rooms were really nicely done, with a couch in front of the TV and beautiful bedding. I would return without a doubt. Really nice night at the Sunset!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KarinsRoadTrip

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you! First, for staying with us and second for describing our business in the wonderful fashion that you did. Please know that we are most appreciative of your desire to share your experience with the online review community. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We prefer to stay a little motels when we travel. We enjoy the experience and the family-run business. It was our second stay at the Sunset Motel. We enjoyed the updates that have been made since our last stay. Staff is very friendly. Location to the downtown Brevard area is great. We don’t mind the talking outside or the parking lot. It is part of the fun of staying in great motels like this one!

1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I'm guessing maybe we had a room that had not been re-done? It's the only thing I can figure after reading the other reviews of this place. We checked in and went to our room to rest before heading back out. My husband sat on the edge of the bed and immediately began itching. The room itself is old, outdated and bears nothing of any sort of resemblance of any picture I saw of this motel. The gap in the bottom of the door was large enough to let a small animal through. We discussed just sucking it up and staying since the room was non refundable, but could not bear to spend the night, so we dropped our key and left.

I should note that about the time we got back home, I received an email from the motel asking if there was a problem and if that was why we left. I thought, "Okay, they at least care." I only went into the itching with her, and expected I would hear something in response to my email. It has been more than 24 hours, and nothing. I guess they really didn't care after all.

DO NOT waste your money on this place!

4  Thank winterrose79
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

I truly hate it when anyone is unhappy when they stay with us. I spoke to this guest prior to finding this review and gave them a full refund. I tried to call and sent them an email as soon as I realized that they left almost immediately after they checked in. After inspecting the room and finding no insects of any sort, we called and interviewed the guests that stayed in that room the night before they came and the day they left, we asked(a) if they experienced any itching and (b) what they thought of the room. Neither of them experienced any itching and both of them were satisfied with their stay so I'm not sure what we can do further in this situation. We realize that not everyone can appreciate a motel built in 1957 with its quirks and everyone has different tastes but it is our mission to provide the best service, value & experience possible. I will be posting photos of this room on the Sunset Motel's Facebook page later today if anyone is interested.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brevard
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brevard
#8 of 11 in Hendersonville
Red Roof Inn Hendersonville
Red Roof Inn Hendersonville
#7 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Sunset Motel? Share your experiences!