“Second visit here; still lovin' it but ya gotta spell out whatcha want”
Review of Sunset Motel

Sunset Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brevard
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Every room is different. Some are quieter, some are noisier, some have better wifi. Each is decorated special. Last time we were in the wonderful cabin. This time we were in one of the rooms on the backside, perfect as we wanted to be away from traffic noise. The backside rooms are sheltered from the rumble of cars. I think we were in #19. Room was cute and very very clean. Kitchen is tiny but.. hello... this is retro 50s... what did you expect? Owner somehow managed to wedge a tiny fridge and microwave in there plus table and chairs. Bedroom wall covered in cute little mirrors and other wall had a gorgeous pull-out 3-panel screen.

My ancient laptop wouldn't talk to her wifi. There's a McD's 5 minutes away that did fine. We're in the gorgeous mountains on a weekend. Email can just wait. I enjoyed being logged out, really.

We will request this room or the cabin next time and we will definitely be back. Owner Lori very receptive and accommodating of requests and takes notes if you spot potential grumbles. I wish more people in hospitality were as hospitable. We still think she's awesome for rescuing this place.

Room Tip: If you can't sleep through some traffic noise, ask for a secluded room on the back side or find...
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JN1901A
lorileigh63, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Wow! Thanks for a great review! We are pleased that you appreciate our originality. We are always on the look-out for fun kitschy decor to put in rooms so they are ever-changing. We are glad you enjoy our cottage. It is one of our most requested options. We hope to see you again! Lori

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Clean rooms, cute decor and quiet neighborhood surroundings made our 3-day stay just perfect! A real nice respite from the typical chain hotel/motel scene. Definitely recommend staying here if you're visiting any of the surrounding parks and the Blue Ridge Parkway!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Jenny B
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Yes, we were hesitant when we saw the outside, but it's just as advertised on the website. It's from the '50s and it looks that way inside and out. We liked it so much we stayed two nights. A king bed with couch and retro decorations fit our bill just fine. It is close to downtown, and while it's on the main street, it wasn't too noisy at all. The cleaning staff and owner are terrific. There's even a picnic table behind the building where it's cool and shaded. Each room seems to have its own decor and theme, so choose one that makes you dance!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SandAngel13_12

I hope I can borrow that quote "choose a room that makes you dance". That is awesome. Thank you for your kind review and we are thrilled you gave us a chance and we passed! Please come back again. Lori

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Sunset Motel is cheap, very clean and a blast from the past. The bed was super comfortable and there were NO bugs. I check! It might look like a seedy old roadside place but up close and inside, everything has been redone with new bathroom fixtures, new appliances, new linens, carpet. The furniture is like something from your old aunt's garage sale but it looks nice. Each room is decorated a little differently, like you do at home. At the end of the day, all I care about is a clean bathroom and comfortable bed. So happy to have found this place! And the price is right

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank MicheleinParis
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My only regret was that we could only stay one night! We really felt at home and both our little girls loved the motel. You did a great job remodeling and it really feels like we went back in time. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments! We try hard to make a stay at The Sunset an experience, not just a place to sleep for the night and we are pleased that you like what we have created and hope you can come back for a longer stay!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had hoped that my husband and I would really enjoy this place when I found it online and saw the pictures. Unfortunately those hopes were pretty much dashed from the moment we arrived. Check in-time is 3:00pm, but our room wasn't ready until almost 3:45pm. All we got was an "oh sorry". After a long day of driving we weren't happy about that. We had to sit in the car in the heat until the maid was finished.

To get to our room (#19) you have to drive down an alleyway and there are only 2 rooms back there (and the large cabin). We felt very cut off from everything...you couldn't get to the front of the hotel to get ice or drinks without walking up the alleyway. Our room was much smaller than we expected. The kitchen table only had two chairs and was teeny-tiny so there was really no where to sit unless you wanted to sit on the end of the bed. The room did have a desk and chair but the chair was not very sturdy.

There was a huge hairball on my side of the bed on the floor that I found as soon as we walked in. Yuck. The bed had a pretty comforter on it and the room was decorated nicely but it smelled old and musty. The appliances are VERY old, but they worked. Not sure how the dishes get cleaned, except by hand maybe, and that can't be very sanitary with so many people staying in the rooms.

Every night when we got in bed I felt like I was being bitten by tiny bugs. We couldn't see anything in the bed (believe me, we looked!) but I didn't sleep well at all because my legs and ankles were itching constantly.

When you go to their website it states that the Wi-Fi is "spotty" in the rooms. But when we got there, we were told by the person in the office that it was pretty much non-existent. So I was having to walk up to the front of the motel whenever I wanted to do an online search for places we wanted to visit. They do have a little table and chairs in the front of the motel that we sat at to do some online searches but the table and chairs are in the grass and we got ate up by bugs there too. This was very irritating also.

We were supposed to be staying from Thursday through Sunday but by Saturday I had had enough and we left a day early. I didn't say anything to the people in the office because every time I went up there they were on the phone, which wasn't their fault, I was just impatient - plus I was really trying to give this place the benefit of the doubt.

Our stay was in June and I've been debating until now as to whether I should write this review, but I think others should know how we felt. If you want to stay there, then maybe the rooms up in the front of the motel are nicer and more up-to-date. We were really sad that the motel didn't work out for us.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
lorileigh63, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

We thank everyone who writes a review. We also think it necessary to address issues brought up in the review if they are negative. I'm really sorry you were so disappointed from the moment you checked in. I can't understand why you chose not to say anything to us and just stay unhappy for 48 hours, especially if you thought you were being bitten by bugs in your bed and you found a hairball. We offer a satisfaction guarantee and, if we couldn't move you to a room that better suited your needs, we would have refunded your money and found you another place to stay. Since the time you stayed in that room, the A/C has been replaced with a modern unit so I'm sorry that it was not up to par when you were with us. To anyone reading this, please tell us if you are unhappy at my motel. We will do whatever we can to fix the problem or refund your money.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We were very happy to find Sunset Motel on Yelp, within our price range, and just sideways enough to appeal to us. It's a throwback to the 1950s family vacations of our youth updated with modern conveniences. Owner Lori was very welcoming when we checked in mid-afternoon. We enjoyed a refreshment on the front lawn with the pink flamingos (could've done the same in the backyard under the hemlocks), then walked 5 blks to downtown Brevard to inquire about music possibilities that night. On the return walk stopped at the Blue Ridge Bakery. That evening we had dinner at the Cardinal Drive-In on our way back downtown to enjoy Old Time music at the music store 3 doors from the White Squirrel. Bought a growler at Brevard Brewing Co. on the way back to Sunset Motel. Great respite and highly recommend the experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Wow what a great review! Sound to me like you took advantage of all Brevard has to offer. Thank you for saying such complimentary things. We appreciate you and hope to see you if you wander this way again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brevard
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brevard
#8 of 11 in Hendersonville
CedarWood Inn
CedarWood Inn
#2 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Sunset Motel? Share your experiences!