“Quiet and Peaceful”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This property is showing its age, but you can't beat the staff for friendliness and helpfulness. The innkeeper makes one feel welcome; it's almost like being part of a large family. The meals are great. Many of the rooms have screened-in porches. It's a quiet, peaceful place, worth visiting more than once.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I'm 42 years old and first started visiting the Hemlock Inn when I was a kid. My wife and I now take our boys (12 & 5) to the Hemlock and it is such a special place. When I first started going with my parents Mr. and Mrs. Shell ran it. Their daughter and her family now run it. They still know me by name. It is true the hemlock doesn't have ac (it isn't needed bc it's in the mountains) or tvs or internet etc. But guess what? That is a relief. To go someplace to unwind and unplug is crucial. The dining is a special part of the Hemlock experience. Breakfast and dinner are served in the large dining hall on lazy susan tables. The food is SO GOOD. We bought the hemlock cook book and make some of the dishes we love when we go. You are seated with other folks on vacation too. The owners sit and eat with you as well and talk to folks about what they're doing that day etc. I particularly enjoy going early morning and getting my coffee and sitting on a rocking chair overlooking the mountains. As for kids, my boys do just my my brother and I did: run around, play shuffleboard, slide down the hill, walk trails. While we are there we go tubing down Deep Creek, go into Cherokee, horseback riding, Biltmore Estate and so many fun things. Typing this makes me want to go now.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This was our first visit. We stayed for a week for our summer vacation. We travelled with our 11- and 14-year-old who never got bored with the beautiful views, the public spaces with books, dominoes, shuffleboard, ping-pong, and hummingbirds. Not far from downtown Bryson City with quaint shops and good restaurants. We loved the Deep Creek River area, only 5-10 minutes away with easy hiking, waterfalls, and fun (& cheap) tubing. It's also only 10-15 minutes from Cherokee. Meals were great and good variety -- my husband was getting fed like he did growing up in the South. I loved how quiet it was and enjoyed the conversations with other travellers at breakfast & dinner. The beds were not great, but we would definitely visit again because everything else was perfect for our family.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

The Hemlock Inn is not for everyone. If you require a cocktail with your dinner, a pillow top mattress, a TV in your room, a blush bath robe waiting for you or room service, this is not your place. If you are offended that someone wants to ask a blessing before you eat your food, go elsewhere. If you are looking to experience gracious hospitality while you unplug and unwind, you just might fall in love. Here is why we come back:
- We have always enjoyed making new friends over the delicious locally grown southern breakfasts and dinners which are served family style and are included in your room price.
- The view from a rocking chair on the porch is so awe inspiring it just might add years to your life.
- Our family needs a place where all there is to do is play ping pong or read a book.
- We are wowed by the outdoor activities Bryson City has to offer. (these will only appeal to you if your definition of a perfect day includes a scenic hike along a creek).
- The innkeepers have a gift of making all guests feel like treasured visiting friends.

Be warned, while the rooms are clean, they are rustic. Our family doesn't spend any time in the room, so this does not bother us. The common gathering room is stocked with games and puzzles and there are lots of rocking chairs on the porch. Perhaps spring and fall are the best months, as the air conditioning offered in the rooms is less than ideal. Fortunately, in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, this is not usually an issue. We were there in August, and didn't need it.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

This was my third visit to the Hemlock Inn; on the last night of our week's stay, my fourteen-year-old son made me "shake on it" promising that we would return annually. What more of an endorsement could you want? I first visited nearly twenty-five years ago as a newlywed, returned ten years ago as a single mom with two children, and visited this time with only my son. Whatever the circumstances of my visits, the Hemlock Inn was enjoyable and relaxing because it is a CHANGE OF PACE.

What is it that you want? If you seek luxury accommodations, the Hemlock is not the place for you. However, if you are seeking an experience in which you can enjoy nature, tranquility, simplicity, conversation, and friendliness, make your reservations now.

The rooms are clean and simple--nothing elaborate. One does not go to the Hemlock for elaborate rooms--no, one goes for the beauty and peace of nature and for getting away and slowing down.

From sitting on the porch in the rocking chairs by the main inn and enjoying the view of the mountains or watching the seeming flocks of hummingbirds at the feeders to sipping coffee and conversing with new acquaintances from all other the country, one can lose track of time and can relax in ways too often we neglect in the busyness of our everyday lives. At the Hemlock, guests read books and play ping pong, kids play wiffle ball and hike, and mother and teenage son play Scrabble, Yahtzee, and checkers. Guests can access Wi-Fi throughout the main inn and watch TV in one room of the main inn. And if my son had to watch a movie in our room, he simply inserted a DVD in his lap-top and could do so. What we both savored most of all were the moments of peace and the simplicity of the setting--the ambience. Oh yes, and the meals!

With food this delicious, we were never late to any meal! (I have the original cookbook, and before leaving placed my order for the new updated version to be released later this month!)
Here we found truly the best of Southern hospitality. From the servers to Mort, the innkeeper, and his nephew Chad to meeting new friends at the family style meals, we looked forward each day to the conversations we would have at breakfast and dinner. And to have both meals each day included in the cost of the room is a value!

Late on our last night, as my son and I played ping pong, Chad approached us and asked if we liked stargazing. (This after Chad earlier in the evening had brought me a book with a short story he thought I might enjoy reading!) He then escorted us to the deck to look at the Milky Way. This night happened to be the evening of the meteor shower; we were treated to a display of shooting stars.

As my son and I reflected on our week's vacation and our favorite activities as we drove back home to Ohio, my son said nothing beat whitewater rafting on the Nantahala and sitting on the deck of the Hemlock looking at the stars.

Thank you, Mort and Chad. We will return! The Chambers

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Regina C
Reviewed 7 August 2012

If you are a 5 star type then you will be too distracted to really enjoy what this great place has to offer. If you are not a 5 star type, then you will love the place for the location, food, hospitality. This is one of the few remaining places that rises above the low moral standards that our country and society have settled for. It is recommended to stay.

Room Tip: Cabins offer privacy, the swiming pool is the river rapids, the fitness center is the great outdoors...
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Our family stayed in the Innkeepers cottage. The two master suites on each end of the cottage worked out great for us. Breakfast and Dinner are included. Good food and fellowship. This place is relaxed and unplugged and a little off the beaten path. Mort White runs a relaxing and family oriented place. We'd recommend if you want this type of get away.

Room Tip: Older facility...but lots of character. Great food!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Folkestone Inn
Folkestone Inn
#1 of 10 in Bryson City

Been to Hemlock Inn? Share your experiences!