“Best place to stay in Bryson City”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My family has visited the Hemlock a couple of times...when riding the polar express.. We really wanted to go back this year, but were unable to. This is THE BEST Inn we have ever visited!!!! The owners and staff were excellent. So friendly, and they go out of their way to make you feel like family. The rooms are great..(just like staying at Grandma's) And the food.....all I can say is WOW!!!! We have even purchased cookbooks. If you have the opportunity, stay with the fine people at the Hemlock...you will NOT regret it!!!! Believe me....it is just like going home....A wonderful experience!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lesa B

Reviewed 3 November 2012

I first visited the Hemlock Inn with my parents and older brother when I was about 6 or 7 years old, and then again when I was 10. Did not return for many years after that, but always wondered if it was the same wonderful place we remembered. My mother and I finally decided in the early-to-mid-eighties to go find out. Turned out it was, and we have been making our way back there regularly ever since! If you look up the word "relaxation" in the dictionary, you will surely see a picture of Hemlock Inn as it is the most relaxing place I know. No phones or TV's in the rooms only enhances the peaceful atmosphere.
Meals are served "family style" at big round tables with Lazy-Susan centers, and dinner conversation with new friends is always lively and fun.
I simply cannot say enough good things about the Hemlock Inn!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DHut
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Our first visit to Hemlock Inn was many years ago....in fact, our son was in a high chair at the dinner table! He is now 37..when our family thinks of this wonderful place, they remember the friendliness of the folks, the delicious food, and the fresh mountain air. Many games were played at the shuffleboard court as well as the ping pong table. Hiking out to the overlook was a big deal. Planning next year's visit was always a priority. In fact, we need to plan a trip now. If you are in this part of NC, stop in....you will be glad you did.
The Tester Family

Room Tip: We like a room that has a screened in porch overlooking the woods.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I'm not sure my family fits the demographic that the Hemlock mainly appeals to - couples and groups of friends on weekend getaways - but it's the perfect prescription for this hectic family. We have three kids ranging from 11 to 4 and we consciously seek out escapes just like the Hemlock Inn, where the emphasis is on the outdoors, on slow afternoons playing board games and on delicious family style dinners that help show our kids how to socialize. Yes, they have Wi-fi and for trip planning these days you really need it, but it's in the main lodge - as is the one TV - and everyone is drawn to hang out there and socialize instead of hole up in their rooms. We think it's just about perfect.

The rooms are fairly spacious and tastefully, if somewhat dated, decorated, but you're really not going to spend much time there. If you're into granite counter tops and frame-less shower doors you won't like the bathrooms much, and they're probably the one area that could be updated over the next couple of years, but they're serviceable nonetheless.

The owners/hosts are gracious and accommodating and you'll feel like you are part of a family here and in on a bit of a secret - a place that has survived the tread of box-like hotels on one extreme and too-precious B&B's on the other. It's just... comfortable, and my family has returned a couple times now and will make it a yearly tradition.

Room Tip: Definitely call to get the best room choice. Some can be connected, some are cabins, others are larg...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Our first visit to the Hemlock Inn was nearly 25 years ago. We were on our way home from a trip to Orlando's Disney. We searched for a stop on the way home to counter balance Disney. What a wonderful first experience. Our children fell in love with the Hemlock and we have gone back over the years. If we are heading anywhere near Bryson City, we plan a visit. Beautiful setting, wonderful staff, relaxing environment!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This property is showing its age, but you can't beat the staff for friendliness and helpfulness. The innkeeper makes one feel welcome; it's almost like being part of a large family. The meals are great. Many of the rooms have screened-in porches. It's a quiet, peaceful place, worth visiting more than once.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I'm 42 years old and first started visiting the Hemlock Inn when I was a kid. My wife and I now take our boys (12 & 5) to the Hemlock and it is such a special place. When I first started going with my parents Mr. and Mrs. Shell ran it. Their daughter and her family now run it. They still know me by name. It is true the hemlock doesn't have ac (it isn't needed bc it's in the mountains) or tvs or internet etc. But guess what? That is a relief. To go someplace to unwind and unplug is crucial. The dining is a special part of the Hemlock experience. Breakfast and dinner are served in the large dining hall on lazy susan tables. The food is SO GOOD. We bought the hemlock cook book and make some of the dishes we love when we go. You are seated with other folks on vacation too. The owners sit and eat with you as well and talk to folks about what they're doing that day etc. I particularly enjoy going early morning and getting my coffee and sitting on a rocking chair overlooking the mountains. As for kids, my boys do just my my brother and I did: run around, play shuffleboard, slide down the hill, walk trails. While we are there we go tubing down Deep Creek, go into Cherokee, horseback riding, Biltmore Estate and so many fun things. Typing this makes me want to go now.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family