“Loved the Hemlock”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We love the Hemlock Inn! We had been staying in Cherokee on our annual trip to the area., but the Hemlock is a perfect location for everything. This is our second year and we plan to return .
It is like a bed and breakfast hotel! No TV, no A/C, no phones (who needs them!!!) How about a library, ping pong, shuffleboard, etc, with other young children there to play with (and play they do, as they meet each other at dinner and breakfast). You sit with fellow guests (many long-time returnees) following an optional blessing and get to enjoy the best home cooked meals you will ever have, served family style on lazy susans, 10 people per table.
Location is perfect, 50 secluded acres with trails on north end of Bryson City. Get to Bryson City in minutes (Train), on same road as Deep Creek section of SMNP (dirt road here, but easy entrance thru Bryson City on paved road) 10 miles to Cherokee,
Pricing is fair...the food is great...the staff is excellent. I am Marriott Platinum so I have stayed in all kinds of hotels and this is a winner.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 31 May 2008

As first-time guests, my husband and I joined another couple who have been coming here for 15 years.
We were struck by the tranquil beauty of the place, by the friendly atmosphere, and the proximity of the wilderness. Not fancy by any means, the long-time owners offer comfortable accommodations and family style Southern cooking. There are nice touches such as blankets enclosed in sheets, a cozy comforter available for the cool nights, and a charming library with a variety of books.
We loved the opportunity to just sit and quietly observe birds from the porch with a magnificent view of the mountains, when we were not hiking or bicycling on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a perfect getaway for anyone looking for an escape from the world of electronics and traffic.
We look forward to coming again to this mountain retreat. I particularly anticipate bringing our children and grandchildren, who would love the hiking and tubing opportunities just a few minutes away. They might also work on a jigsaw puzzle, play ping-pong, or read a book.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank JBS64
Reviewed 19 May 2008

I started coming to Hemlock Inn in 2000 and I really can't say enough wonderful things about this inn. The highlight of every day is probably the delicious Southern food served at breakfast and dinner, all served family style. The food is always accompanied by wonderful conversation with other travelers staying in the inn and the jokes of innkeeper Mort White. You don't come to Hemlock Inn for the pool, tvs, or wi-fi (the inn has none of the above). Hemlock Inn is a place you come to slow down. Walk the trails that wind through the land around the inn, play skittles or shuffle board behind the dining room, or just sit in a red rocking chair and watch the fog roll past the mountains. For adrenaline junkies, whitewater rafting is a short drive away at the NOC and tubing is just down the road at Deep Creek. I always leave feeling refreshed and looking forward to our next family vacation at Hemlock Inn.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank paix2002
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I stayed here with my fiancé, and while we were treated nicely and had an okay time, we were the youngest people there by at least 30 years (we are 24). The place felt stuffy, overbearing and kind of like going to dinner at grandma and grandpa's house, only you don't know them and there are 30 of them.
The rooms were dark, too. Not worth $200 a night in my opinion.
We left early.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 1234Swansboro
Reviewed 17 December 2007

Completely cool retro-chic place to stay! We spent the night at the Hemlock while in Bryson City for the Polar Express excursion with our young children. The Inn in older, but clean and very quiet. With no TV to distract, we played ping pong on the terrace and dominos by the cozy fireplace. We woke to snow and a warm breakfast! A real treat and a great Christmas memory.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 26 November 2007

My husband and I and another couple stayed at the Hemlock Inn only one night over Thanksgiving weekend. The Hemlock was quaint, cozy, had good and plentiful food and beautiful vistas. So what is my complaint??

I have no major complaints other than truth and disclosure in advertising. They do not mention anywhere on their website that the Inn is a faith based or Christian Inn. Although the website does say that they do not serve beer or wine, they do not say that they do not allow beer or wine in their dinning room or anywhere else outside your bedroom. So, when I asked the owner if I could borrow a cork screw to open a bottle of wine for dinner, she said we could not bring it into the dinning room but instead we were "welcome" to drink it in our room (clandestinely) Later at dinner, much to our surprise and dismay, we were obliged to stand before our chair, bless the table (not to a generic God) and "praise Jesus" while the owner led us in prayer.

Although the owners were very nice people and I wish them well, this is not the atmosphere of inclusion that I live by and will not stay there again. They should state clearly on their website who their target audience is.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank Gardener77
Reviewed 2 July 2007

It's getting harder and harder to really get away from it all. Often when I go on vacation, I have my laptop to check email and watch the television to keep up on depressing news. Thank goodness Hemlock Inn is a true retreat from the world. There is no TV, no wireless internet. So I had much more time to enjoy "home cooking", chatting with other guests, whitewater rafting (NOC), and hiking in the Smokies (just a mile away). This old fashioned "motor lodge" offers a step back in time to simple pleasures. Even the nearby Smoky Mtn Railroad offers a glimpse to the past with train rides through the mountains (don't miss that). The owners and staff make you feel at home. We loved waking up to the breakfast served family style with lazy susans on big tables. YUM! I had my first "streak-o-lean." Is grandma back in the kitchen??? This is real country cooking! Another favorite for us was rocking on the porch and enjoying the nice view.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple