“Feeling of hospitality and tradion at Hemlock Inn”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend at Hemlock Inn. We really enjoy visiting the mountains and why we have not ever heard of Hemlock Inn I do not know. As first time visitors we were outnumbered greatly be long time returnees. We are definitely going back as we have already made reservations for the future. This inn is a throwback to a different day and age. If you are looking for an upscale inn and a busy glitzy nightlife, this place is not for you. The inn looks old because it is old, built in the 50s and without much updating since. However the rooms are clean and quaint without phones or tv and the bathroom is old but serviceable.

Many of the people we met at our table had been coming for over 30 years and now we know why. What you see is what you get at the Hemlock Inn. This place is about southern hospitality, southern tradition, and feeling at home.You are asked to stand behind your chair for the blessing before each meal. If that offends this place is probably not right for you. It didn't seem to offend those in attendance during our stay as most voiced a hearty Amen at the conclusion of the prayer.

The food is served homestyle on big lazy susan tables where you turn the table to bring each dish to you. You eat what you want and as much as you want and the food takes you back to your mama's table or your grandmother's table.it is southern cooking at its best. The cost includes a night's stay and 2 meals. Once you figure the cost of 2 all you can eat meals and a nice quiet peaceful night's rest on the mountain, the cost to stay is not overpriced at all.

To be honest the Hemlock Inn is not for everybody. But what hotel or inn really is? Most of the people staying there were in the age range of 50+ and these folks appreciated what the Hemlock Inn is all about. The location offers beautiful mountain scenery in a nice quiet setting where you can get quality homestyle southern cooking. Who could ask for motre?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TownsendTraveler

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Perfect place to relax. Great views, great character and friendly staff. Remember it was built in the sixties and tries to maintain that charm. It rain the night we were there, so we left the door open to the screened porch and slept like a baby. Hope to visit again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

My wife & I just returned from a 3 night stay at Hemlock Inn and we loved it! If you're a hiker, fisherman, or rafter, it doesn't get any better than this. The innkeepers are very welcoming, even showing you to your room and explaining the activities and mealtimes. I loved the lazy susan
style of dining because it enables you to meet so many wonderful people and hear their stories. We felt so renewed and invigorated after each meal. The breakfast and dinners are very good and there was plenty for "seconds".
Downtown Bryson City has some interesting shops and excellent restaurants serving lunch which we thoroughly enjoyed. We will definitely return to Hemlock Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank KenyonJ
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hemlock Inn in mid-September and absolutely loved it! We have recently become "empty nesters" and this was our first vacation without our son in 17 years. We loved staying at the Hemlock Inn. It is quiet, quaint (1 TV for the entire inn, so-so internet connection in the dining area) and just what we needed after the stress of work. The view from the balcony is breath taking.

There are lots of opportunities for outdoor activities in the surrounding area and we took advantage of a lot of them. But, if we had just wanted to sit, read and relax, we could have done that as well.

Mort and his staff were fabulous -- attentive and friendly, willing to go out of their way to make sure our needs were met in every way. The food was true Southern cooking -- delicious! We had a king room with a porch -- it was bigger than the regular king rooms and it was nice to have the porch to sit on if we wanted to be alone.

I would recommend this Inn to anyone heading to the area and looking for a place to unplug and unwind.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TinaVT86
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

My husband & I were looking for a nature filled & relaxing family trip through the Mountains. After reading reviews & checking the website I was very excited for our stay at the Hemlock Inn. Lets start with The drive from through Cherokee to Hemlock. this is no direct reflection on The Inn but doesn't set the best impression. it was like one straight out of a horror film. That areas businesses & homes are so run down & trashy to say the least. Upon arriving at the Inn we were still very apprehensive. It is tucked into the woods and looked desolate & kinda scary. We probably would've left but it was already late & the surrounding area was even more questionable. After checking in (and under the beds for axe murderers) we found it to be very clean & cute. We made it to dinner which is at 6:30pm sharp and it is expected of everyone to stand behind their chair while a "blessing" is given. This was welcomed by us as we are religious. But I did feel slightly uncomfortable at the dinner table when I kindly asked for water instead of the offered tea & the gentleman acted as if i was rude for asking. Our "Family style" dinner was quiet & stuffy. I did not eat dinner as it was nothing of my liking but the desert was absolutely decadent!! The mountain people spared us our lives and we were able to make it back for breakfast the following morning. The view from the main house is beautiful. We were able to help ourselves to coffee which was a nice surprise & relax on the porch over looking the mountains till breakfast was served. Breakfast was held by another young man who was much more friendly & made our last meal more enjoyable. The breakfast food selection was plentiful & delicious. The fresh bananas tossed in honey & nuts were my favorite. All in all the place was very peaceful & the lack of technology makes for a nice retreat from everyday life. I can see how this would be a "gem" to some.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Dansprin
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is the second year that we have had our Choir Retreat at the Hemlock Inn, it is without doubt, my favorite part of God's creation, and most definitely my favorite place to sing, to sit on the back porch and look out over the mountains while singing God's praise is one of the greatest joys in my life! Then, there's the food...I went on a cruise this past summer, and I am here to tell you now, that the food at the Hemlock Inn beats any cruise ship food. If you're on a diet you just need to set that aside at the driveway, because you won't be needing it. Mort and Lainey are the BEST hosts anywhere; dinner conversation is so much fun! It is just the best place ever to run away to.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Bryson City is located a few miles down the road from the uber tacky Cherokee, NC--a gateway to Great Smoky Mountain National Park. If you are looking to enjoy the beautiful scenery and many outdoor activities in this area, it would behoove you to steer clear of Cherokee and stay in a charming spot such as the Hemlock Inn. It is not fancy, but quite comfortable (no TVs except in the TV room--yay!!). We made good use of the small screened-in porch attached to our room. Meals, served family style, are included, making this an excellent value. Guests gather in the dining room, say grace, then share a copious meal (no alcohol served). After dinner, our children were entertained by the ping pong table, shuffleboard court, abundant rockers, and porch swings. The staff is very gracious and welcoming, and guests do tend to mingle and chat over the meals, which is nice. The Hemlock Inn gets many repeat customers, some of whom have been going there for years.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family