“It was decent enough”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Cary, NC
“It was decent enough”
Reviewed 17 December 2009

My husband, two kids and I just returned from a stay at the Hemlock Inn. We were in town to do the Polar Express train ride. As we were driving to the Inn, I was getting a little nervous about what we would find (lots of rundown motels along the way). I was pleasantly surprised when we got there. The Inn is motel style with a rustic feel. We had a downstairs room with two double beds (wish it had been a King, so my husband and I could have slept together) and a pull out sofa for the kids. The beds were on the firm side, but acceptable. There was wood paneling on the walls, old fashioned quilts on the bed. The bathroom was ok (the shower kept dripping) and it took a bit to get the temp right. There was a nice roomy dressing area though with extra sink. If you book the downstairs room, be prepared to hear the people above you. The breakfast in the morning was a nice touch. I did not mind saying a brief standing grace, like others have complained about. I would return if we go to the Smoky Mts again. Oh, and whatever you do, if you go to the railroad and want a bite to eat, DO NOT GO TO ANTHONY'S! They had the most horrible Italian food (if you could even call it that) ever!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
NC
Reviewed 24 November 2009

After a relaxing train ride on the Smokey Mtn Railroad, we got a little lost looking for a place to stay for the night and found a real treasure. The Hemlock Inn is an older, but refreshingly charming place with motel type rooms with knotty pine paneling and homemade quilts.It has the ambience of a B&B with family style dining in a warm and cozy greatroom with woodfire. Great views, food and and rocking chair comfort. Rooms are older and walls are thin, no tv,but the overall experience was one that I would gladly do again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sidek1277
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I can blame myself for not reading more carefully. As one reviewer stated, this should be advertised as a Christian based inn. The rule book included in the hotel information booklet states that you cannot have alcohol in any public areas, along with a long list of do's and dont's. I find that interesting as the chairs in the rooms were so uncomfortable you couldn't sit in them for more than 10 minutes and there wasn't even a head board on the bed, so sitting on the bed was an uncomfortable chore. There was no table between the two chairs to even leave your reading material, or a footstool to make sitting more comfortable. That leaves the "common" areas to sit, but you can't have a drink in any common area, so there you go. There is no coffee maker, no hair dryer (which I really didn't expect) and 2 thin towels. (you can request more if you want to be demanding). When I go on vacation, I like to have the time to myself. Although the food was good, sitting at an assigned table with 8 people I didn't know was more than I anticipated. Standing up behind the dining room chair waiting for grace was like being at a formal Thanksgiving dinner with unknown relatives. I can't say the service was more than mediocre in the dining room. i was never asked if I needed refills of water, tea or coffee at breakfast.

I woke up in the night to burning, red eyes from the windows being open the whole time as there is no air conditioning. The room didn't get hot, but if you have allergies, be sure and take Benadryl. The location was much farther away from town than we had originally thought.

We did have breakfast and dinner included in our $190.00 bill. Even with the good food the room still had water stains on the ceiling, cracks in the old wall paper, old green fuzzy carpet that was lumpy and loose, and no normal room amenities. In comparison to other bed and breakfast experiences in this area, this rate seemed high.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank flory91
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway or a traditional family vacation this is a great spot. My boyfriend has been going since he was a teenager, and I can see why. The Hemlock Inn harkens to a simpler time when delicious food, great conversation and being with the ones you love were to be celebrated. It's close to lots of great hiking and other outdoor activities as well as other historical attractions. I highly recommend the Hemlock Inn - it's a treasure!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hollinsgal
ENFIELD
Reviewed 29 July 2009

It was my Mom's birthday and I took her on vacation, from the Hemlocks web site they looked and sounded great. That is as far as it went, in reality it was very dissappointing. The room are out of date, the bathroom had low light, a mirror so high above the sink that I had to stand on my tip toe's to see in it, The food was not good. We had planned on staying 2 nights and cancelled the 2nd night after we got there. This place needs major updateing, a better Chef in the kitchen, and friendlier management. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank postp
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I have been staying at Hemlock Inn since I was a kid with my parents and now me and my husband vacation there every year. Hemlock has the most relaxing atmosphere and when we arrive there I can almost feel the stress just fall off! There are no tvs, A/C, computers, etc. but you don't need any of them! The cool mountain air is enough to cool you during the summer and with no tvs you get to actually enjoy the company of your friends and family there! Everyone is very friendly, especially the staff! They will help you find all of the mountain activities that they have close by. The food is absolutely wonderful and is enjoyed in a family atmosphere! My husband I absolutely love coming to Hemlock and we look forward to it every year as it allows us to escape the daily stresses that we have and gives us the chance to really reconnect with each other! We will continue to come every year!

• Liked — Relaxing, frendly atmosphere and great food!
  • Disliked — Nothing! I love Hemlock!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We love the Hemlock Inn! We had been staying in Cherokee on our annual trip to the area., but the Hemlock is a perfect location for everything. This is our second year and we plan to return .
It is like a bed and breakfast hotel! No TV, no A/C, no phones (who needs them!!!) How about a library, ping pong, shuffleboard, etc, with other young children there to play with (and play they do, as they meet each other at dinner and breakfast). You sit with fellow guests (many long-time returnees) following an optional blessing and get to enjoy the best home cooked meals you will ever have, served family style on lazy susans, 10 people per table.
Location is perfect, 50 secluded acres with trails on north end of Bryson City. Get to Bryson City in minutes (Train), on same road as Deep Creek section of SMNP (dirt road here, but easy entrance thru Bryson City on paved road) 10 miles to Cherokee,
Pricing is fair...the food is great...the staff is excellent. I am Marriott Platinum so I have stayed in all kinds of hotels and this is a winner.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryson City
#3 of 28 in Cherokee
Calhoun House Inn & Suites
Calhoun House Inn & Suites
#4 of 10 in Bryson City

Been to Hemlock Inn? Share your experiences!