“This place was our second choice.”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We stayed here for one night because the Fryemont Inn was only open to reservations made for two nights, which did not work for us. I was unaware of the mandated participation in grace before meals (stand behind the chair, no less) or I would not have stayed there. I enjoyed meeting the folks from other areas of the country seated at our table but the food at both the evening and breakfast meals was really mediocre. I invited a friend to stay there with us and on a scale of 1 - 10, she rated the food as a 5. I agree. We had to ask for extra coffee at both meals and seconds were not offered.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank montbarb

Reviewed 1 September 2010

My impressions of this "B&B" are mixed. Although we frequently travel to this part of the country to enjoy the whitewater and the Smokies, we had never arrived without reservations until this year. The Hemlock Inn was recommended by one of the luxury cabin rental companies we'd previously used, and I was more than pleased to find that they had a cabin open. Yes, this is an "inn" but they have several cabins also available for rental. Although not impressive from the outside, the 2 bedroom, 2 bath was nice enough--portable a/c units in each of the bedrooms made the nights pleasant. The view was spectacular. Even though we were directly 'down the hill' from the main inn, the cabin seemed isolated and quiet, which my family particularly enjoys. The view from the front window--awesome.
The interior was certainly rustic, and could have been cleaner. I agree with other reviewers who used the term "Retro" to describe the place. I'd also agree a little updating is necessary. They could make it so much more comfortable without abandoning the rustic, homespun quality. Admittedly, we are accustomed to more modern accomodations, with modern amenities, while still being situated in pastoral surroundings with great views! The teenagers were not comfortable, but we enjoyed some family time nonetheless. It was as welcoming as you'd imagine an elderly aunt's country home.
There was a 'Hemlock Inn' brochure displayed (which I read cover to cover) that included Inn etiquette such as standing behind chairs before mealtime, saying grace, and more-or-less "dressing for dinner." Three out of four of us did not savor the idea of family seating AT ALL, but we welcomed the Christian atmosphere. However, we brought nothing with us other than rafting clothes and flip-flops. So we cooked our own meals in our cabin rather than going up the hill to the inn. When we checked out, the lady at the desk asked why we hadn't attended meals. I explained about what I'd read and she told us that the books had not been updated for many years. MANY YEARS? She then asked me to tell her in advance the "next time" we booked and she'd deduct the price of the meals. (My upbringing would have lead me to offer such a family a refund, but I understand that the food was prepared based on the number of guests registered.)
While I understand the appeal of this inn to many, there will not be a "next time" for us.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank TexasTraveler057
Reviewed 9 August 2010

The host family that owns this sweet retreat are awesome! My daughter and I stayed there for a weekend and was very impressed with the facilities, the manicured grounds, the homey lodge, the rocking chair porch with the gorgous views, the charming clean rooms and breakfast was great! I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Livinghigh
Reviewed 21 April 2010

This was my first trip to Hemlock Inn and I can say I will definitely be going back! I went with my Sunday school class and we had a blast. The location is awesome, the view is amazing, the food is out of this world, and there are plenty of activities around the area. If you stay there, make sure you say "Hi" to AJ the Hemlock Kitty for me, he was fun to play with.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank John H
Reviewed 20 April 2010

We went with our church group. The owner was so very nice, he went out of his way to make us all fill at home. The Food was EXCELLENT!!! really without words. We recommend this B&B to anyone for any reason. My husband and I do plan to come and stay personally anytime we are in the area. Was very easy to find with easy access to anywhere Cherokee, Bryson City all HWY's.
We will be staying again :)

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank banagayle
Reviewed 18 April 2010

This was my third trip to Hemlock Inn. My sunday school class generally goes every year. The rooms are very clean and cozy The staff is genuinely nice and the place has amazing views. Not to far away from Bryson city for local shops and restaurants . The meals were incredibly delicious. Definitely reccommend staying here. Will come back yearly for sure!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank harleybabe18
Reviewed 17 December 2009

My husband, two kids and I just returned from a stay at the Hemlock Inn. We were in town to do the Polar Express train ride. As we were driving to the Inn, I was getting a little nervous about what we would find (lots of rundown motels along the way). I was pleasantly surprised when we got there. The Inn is motel style with a rustic feel. We had a downstairs room with two double beds (wish it had been a King, so my husband and I could have slept together) and a pull out sofa for the kids. The beds were on the firm side, but acceptable. There was wood paneling on the walls, old fashioned quilts on the bed. The bathroom was ok (the shower kept dripping) and it took a bit to get the temp right. There was a nice roomy dressing area though with extra sink. If you book the downstairs room, be prepared to hear the people above you. The breakfast in the morning was a nice touch. I did not mind saying a brief standing grace, like others have complained about. I would return if we go to the Smoky Mts again. Oh, and whatever you do, if you go to the railroad and want a bite to eat, DO NOT GO TO ANTHONY'S! They had the most horrible Italian food (if you could even call it that) ever!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family