“The Bistro, Expected Better”
Review of Nantahala Village

Nantahala Village
Reviewed 21 July 2014

On a recent trip to Bryson City and the Nantahala Gorge area my family decided to eat at the restaurant on the grounds at the Nantahala Village. Primarilly because this was the resort we wanted to stay at, but made last minute plans for this trip and the Lodge rooms were booked. On a trip a couple years back we had stumbled across the Village Resort and popped in and asked if we could see one or two of their cabins along with a Lodge room. The Tree House Cabins were not very well appointed and they were "pet" friendly and that was very noticeable. For the $$$ they want to rent those cabins I would expect a lot more than furniture I had in my college dorm room……. 20 years ago! But the lodge rooms were a bit more reasonable and much better condition relatively speaking.
Any way, we ate here more recently and in a nut shell it solidified the fact that while convenient to the Nantahala Outdoor Center, there was no longer the feeling of need to stay here. The restaurant (Bistro) was inviting, decor and table settings appropriate for the lodge setting, we sat outside on the patio and the view of the mountains in the distance is spectacular. Even if you sat inside, I don't think there was a bad seat in the house. The hostess was very pleasant, The waitress, for the most part, was attentive. My wife HAS to eat gluten free and the waitress was super accommodating reading labels on dressings and various ingredients. Not sure if this was unfortunate or not based on my opinion of the food the rest of us ate, but many of the dishes that my wife was interested in, the seasonings were questionable, so just to play it safe she limited herself to a salad with a plain grilled chicken breast. Our kids had the Filets, one medium rare and the other medium-well. Both came out pretty much on the medium-well side. When I pay close to $30 for a filet, I expect it to be on the thick and tender side. These were a little on the thin side, and dry. When eating with kids, I tend to not make a fuss and send things back just due to timing. They ate them without much complaint, which at that point makes making a fuss pointless and I didn't feel like like they owed me a free meal because of it. Each steak was complimented by real mashed potatoes, tasteless, but real and asparagus. The asparagus was sautéed which would've been fine, but it was caramelized in a very thin coating of something that gave it both a candied & oily texture. I had the salmon. It was cooked to perfection, however the marinade / glaze was very oily and was heavy on a buttery taste. I should've ordered it "dry" or "sauce" on the side. The fish was accompanied by the same potatoes and asparagus.
The food was not terrible, I would not turn down an invitation to join someone there for dinner, as frequent visitor to the area, I simply will not return because I don't feel the value is there. As an "exclusive" full-service destination resort, I had higher expectations for the quality. It is my opinion (not fact) that this was not "fresh" food, but rather food rich in preservatives that ultimately lacks on taste and requires a good bit of doctoring, unfortunately in oil and butter based spreads that are counted on to deliver moistness and some level of flavor to the end product.
For the money, one is better off renting a privately owned cabin in the mountains and cooking their own food. ***please note, in all fairness, I did NOT actually stay here. I only ATE here, but observed the rooms and cabins by way of asking the front desk for keys and access to unoccupied units in order to make judgements on staying here on future trips***

Room Tip: Stay in a Lodge Room, the cabin prices rival those of some of the more affordable & newer privat...
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kip Z
Kate P, General Manager at Nantahala Village, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

It is unfortunate that you did not take a new tour of the property and lodging that is offered at Nantahala Village as much has been done in the last two years. All new bedding, furniture, and TV's for starters.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We arrived on Friday afternoon. Julie and Kate greeted us and made us feel at home. They were very helpful with sharing the information we needed to make our appointments on Saturday. They are very knowledgeable about the area. The food and service at The Bistro was amazing. I cannot say enough good things about the restaurant and its staff. The filet mignon was unbelievable and outside dining has an amazing view (covered with ceiling fans). The bar staff was very knowledgeable about the area as well. The room was clean and spacious.
We used the pool, game room, and walked the property during our stay. The views are spectacular, the property is peaceful and we intend on staying there in the near future. The location is perfect for the activities we enjoy (rafting, hiking, train, zip line, etc.)

Room Tip: Mountain view was nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian W

Thank you so much for your review. I'm glad we could help make your visit more enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I honestly hate to give a bad review but this was a really bad experience. The cabin was in horrible shape the couch was broken and sunken in, we only had one chair besides the couch. So we sat around the kitchen table the entire time we were there. A TV was missing, which left one which didn't work. One bathroom was completely out of commission. The floor was buckling and had some mold. We cut our loses and left after one night. Honestly had we not arrived at 9pm, we would have left and found another place to stay. The game room didn't have any air or heat and was freezing for the kids.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bval323
Kate P, General Manager at Nantahala Village, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Please let me know which unit you stayed in. All of our bedding, sofas, chairs and TV's were replaced this year, so I'm very interested to know more about your stay.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel advertised a spa on their website with all the prices listed. There were signs along the road advertising spa ahead. We were told that they were hoping to get one soon. They advertised free wifi in public areas but it did not work ! The beds and pillows were wonderful! The front desk Julie was very helpful. Great place if rafting in the area. Expensive for what you get. $131 and breakfast is around $10!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jan R

The property had a spa under previous ownership. We only use Nantahala Village as the title of the property now but there are some marketing sites that still have the word spa in our title, and unfortunately we cannot change what was done under the prior ownership.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed in Cabin 41 for a week with our 3 children. It made a great home base for all of our activities. It is close to numerous rivers and Fontana Lake. Tons of outdoor activities within 30 minutes. Management and service personnel were extremely kind and helpful even in the planing stages of our vacation. On-site horseback riding and pool were both great. Cabin was clean and not too close to other guests. Overall, we had a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your review. We're so glad you enjoyed your vacation in our area and your stay at Nantahala Village. Our location is great for exploring everything there is to do nearby.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our Treehouse cabin was nice, run down with rust all over the refrigerator and limited kitchen utensils. The bathroom was only open to the bedrooms, so the people on the pullout sofa had to go through a bedroom (which made it fun with our son's girlfriend in one bedroom. About the only thing they keep up was the foosball table in the cabin.

Mouse poop under the sofa was a turn off, only Wi-Fi is at the main building.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We post the floor plans of our different lodging styles on our website to give a better picture of what the accommodations are like. The treehouses are simple and can accommodate a group, but there is only one bathroom.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Staff was excellent and helpful. The food at the Bistro was amazing and fresh. I had beet salad, ahi tuna, my husband has ribeye and salmon. He said the steak melted in his mouth, my food was top notch and our waiter was excellent.
We stayed in cabin #45, it was adequate for my husband and I. Love seat, TV with satellite, small table in main room. Bedroom had king bed (not hard or soft), a dresser. Very tiny bathroom, my husband had trouble in the shower, as he has broad shoulders, enough room to turn around in front of toilet. Kitchen was fine, I suggest taking good sharp knives and anything special you might need. Our cabin was very dark and lacked good lighting.
Wi-Fi is only available in the lodge. There are not many plugs in the cabins, no CPAP use because there was no plug or table near the bed. The pool was clean, game room had old equipment. They do have a huge shelter that we held our cookout for our family reunion under. No fishing on site and no bike rentals. It is located between Bryson City and Nantahayla Outdoor Center. It was quiet and peaceful. We would have preferred a better equipped, more updated cabin, but that is our personal preference.

Room Tip: Cabin 45 had hot tub, 48 was bigger, brighter and had a foosball table. cabins 42 & 43 were bigg...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kate P, General Manager at Nantahala Village, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review and suggestions. Cabin 45 is in our historic group as this property has been a resort since 1947 and some of our cabins date back to the 50's . We do have larger and newer lodging options that you might want to consider next time - like a Fireplace Suite if it's just the two of you. We purposely choose to have "old school" games in the Game Room as kids and families these days spend enough time in front of electronic devices. Our air hockey, ping pong and fooseball games give families an opportunity to interact with each other.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryson City
#3 of 10 in Bryson City
Lakeview at Fontana
Lakeview at Fontana
#2 of 10 in Bryson City

Been to Nantahala Village? Share your experiences!