“Pros outweigh cons”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Deep Creek Tube Center & Campground
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just got back from a long weekend camping and tubing. Family loves camping and has been to over a dozen different places in the last 5+ years. Most places are universally whatever rating they are accross the board of criteria, but this place had a wider standard deviation - lots of pros and a couple of bad cons but overall, we enjoyed things...afterall, campers always make all things right and good!

Pros:
- Expeditious organized check-in; we reserved extremely early for our specific site
- Sites next to the actual creek were awesome – locations range from about 20 ft from the edge of the bank right up to the edge of the bank hanging over the water, depending on how much water you want to hear rushing through the creek esp as you sleep.
- I liked how the campers were separate from the cottage folks and from the RV folks (didn’t see any RV folks…maybe they don’t take RVs)
- Very respectful, friendly clientele; all families – no singles, students, couples – no loud music, radios, guitars, drinking, woo-hoo-ers with flat screens watching “the game”, etc.
- It’s close to town, where there's a Dollar General and other shops/restaurants
- Convenient tube rental; cheap ($5 noncamper, $4 camper, $3.50 for two days; all due back by 7pm)
- Very clean grounds - ie no trash, cig butts, bottle tops, and other "small" pollution
- Very good oberservance of quiet hours
- Lots of kids amenities, all well maintained and laid out for easy access; nice grassy field for playing in
- Considering they have a nickel & dime mental for pricing things, I consider it a plus that they don't charge a nickel to ride the swings, a dime to pet the goats etc. (You do have to pay to feed the goats, which I thought was hillarious. I wonder if they charge for people to wash them too.)
- Bathrooms are clean, perfect proximity (not too far from camp sites but far enough away so that you don't smell or sense them); we esp liked how each bathroom unit is a private, mini-room with shower, toilet, and sink.
- Though this is a primitive site (no water, electrical hookups at each site), there is water very closeby in a sink and in the bathrooms; bring your own electricity though (car-lighter converter, batteries)
- Though there is a public road on the other side of the creek, the traffic is not noticeable whatsoever.

Cons:
- The campgrounds "police" is this old dude who rides around in a golf cart and walks through the place, but I felt he was over-doing it. He kept swinging by, asking us about a car he was looking for that hadn't paid the five bucks or something. This being a family-campground doesn't need the same kind of roving/walking around the campgrounds like one with groups of teens, older singles, couples etc.
- The pricing feels like they try to nickel and dime you charging you here and there for parking, an extra person, etc. - it's a whopping fifty cent difference in tube rentals between one and two days...(if they need 50 cents that badly, just leave a jar out, and I'll drop it in). I just consider it all one price for what I get so it's reasonable. You are required to do a 3 night stay though, but we could do only 2 - overall, it still came out fine for us. They also charge higher than the tube rental place just 100 yards down the road that is $3 per tube flat.
- Hot water ran out in the bathrooms during the busy times.
- Folliage between campsites is sparse, old, and/or dying so there wasn't as much separation like you have at other privately owned sites. It was not KOA-ish though so not too bad.
- Dumpster was overflowing and it’s next to the end of the gated entrance of the campgrounds, which was nasty.

Bottomline is that our family will return!

Room Tip: Get the camp sites that are right up next to the creek.
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank EBIATDA

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The place is aesthetically pleasing and well-maintained. All benefits end there. The staff were unpleasant to deal with. BOTH of our parties experienced the campground having difficulty finding our reservations due to their lack of understanding on the phone. You are only allowed ONE vehicle at a cabin. You must pay $5/day for an additional vehicle and they are required to park in the overflow lot. The cabins were over 100° F inside when we arrived bc the AC had not been turned on (it would be nice to do this for guests in the summer when they know a guest is scheduled to arrive). They charged for additional trash bags if they are needed. Their staff are on patrol frequently to ensure all rules are enforced. This made for an uncomfortable stay for we were constantly paranoid that we were breaking a new rule we were not aware of. They seem to cut corners and charge extra for anything possible to make any additional profits they can. Their customer service was unsatisfactory. I would not recommend this place. I have never written a review before but I felt it was necessary to do so after our stay. I would choose another campground with a more welcoming feel to it.

• Stayed: June 2014
10  Thank faithful373
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect. Our experience was absolutely perfect. Between the tons of other kids for ours to play with, the playground, volleyball court, creek access, wifi, goats, and amenities...our kids never got bored and my husband and I got the peace and quiet we wanted on vacation! The campground is small enough that this mother hen felt comfortable just letting the kids explore on their own. (My kids ages are 6-10).
We stayed in the Sharptop and it had everything we needed to cook basic meals. When the can opener didn't work our son just walked to the office/store on site and they replaced it. It was also super convenient that a really affordable General store Super Saver is less than five minutes down the road. We did skip on buying water shoes at the campground though and got them at Freds (next to super saver) for half the price.
Another thing we ended up needing was the hospital because my son ended up with strep throat. The hospital being one road over was an added sense of security.
The campground has a wonderful community feel and I doubt we will be planning anything different for vacation for several years.
I will say though, if you want remote camping with mountain views this isn't that type of place. You still experience the beauty of deep creek and the Smokies but all of the campsites and cabins are very close together.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary T
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was my second trip to Deep Creek. It is a very well maintained campground about a mile from the national forest. It has cabins, rv pads and tent pads. Brand new bathhouse with hot showers. The cutest goats live here too.
Pets on leashes are welcome.

I've always used the tent sites. Most of them are within 30' feet of the creek that flows thru the property. The bathhouse is equally convenient. The tent spaces are not on top of each other so there is a modicum of privacy.

There is a general store/main office that has just about every basic need including ice cream. The prices are about what you would pay at a regular grocery store. So no price gouging.

All in all a great, safe place to camp.

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The campground is one of the best I have been to. The setting is beautiful with the creek and views of the mountains. I love all the old log cabins, the playground areas for the kids and the new bathroom facilities. The staff is great always friendly and helpful. I look forward to many more vacations with my family here!

Room Tip: The old log cabins are my favorite but the newer modern ones are just as nice. I love the sites clos...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michele J
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The campground is adqequate. Tent camping near the creek is nice. Lots of playgrounds and a petting zoo for children make this an excellent campground for families.
The maintenance person is very nic and helpful. However, the check in staff is the weakness of the site. Each one I had contact with, either by phone or in person, need training in working with the public in a more friendly manner.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank pat c
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Facilities are excellent. Staff is very nice and helpful. The tubing in the campground creek is fun for the kids. The smokey mountains national park tubing are was awesome. Overall I woyld reccomend this place for its proximity to the park and the quality of the staff/sites.

• Stayed: August 2013