“Fabulous, Friendly and Fun!”
Review of Two Rivers Lodge

and 1 more site!
Two Rivers Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bryson City
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We felt like we were staying with really great friends. The owners actively manage the motel and were extremely helpful. This place is in the middle of all the fun of the Great Smoky Mountains. It is a perfect place for families (pool/wading pool) and motorcyclists (paved parking) alike. Rooms are a bit dated but that adds to the charm of the location. Very clean. We will be staying at this motel whenever we are in the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 July 2009

Perfect location for the Smokies. Wonderful setting, great owners. Conveniently between Bryson and Cheroke. This will be an annual stop.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We found this place by a recommendation from another motel in the area that was booked up and were very pleased that we did. There were nine of us that met there for some riding in the Smokies including the Dragon at Deals Gap. We had such a good time! The owners are down to earth people and we enjoyed sitting around the fire together at the end of the day. They even helped us out by lending us some tools to work on one of the bikes. Try getting that kind of service at one of the big chains! We reserved 5 rooms which were dated but clean and everything worked fine. The beds were comfortable and the a/c got our room as cool as we wanted. The wireless internet was fast & dependable. The river at the back of the property is beautiful and the location was perfect for us. Special thanks to the owners! You helped make our stay terrific!

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank calexandre
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I booked a stay here so my son could ride the train in Bryson City. I looked to tripadvisor for help and believed that this hotel was truly the #3 hotel in the town. Do not believe that!!! It is a dump. The lady quoted me a 59.99 price through the week and charged me 69.99 once I got there. The river view is not a view at all and if you stay here don't bother; just walk out and enjoy. My main concern was that this was spring break and there was no heat in the bathroom so we nearly froze. The shower was designed for a midget (I am 5'9") The kids loved playing by the water and they have outdoor grills to cook on. The owners are not really friendly. Would not assist with dinner plans. The beds were not comfy and BRING YOUR OWN PILLOWS. Evidently town people rent the rooms to live in and they were constantly in and out. I could not sleep. When we got to the Best Western my kids thought they had really moved up in the world.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank 3reasons
Reviewed 14 August 2008

We just returned from staying at this lodge. If you are looking for a place to get away and enjoy the outdoors with your children, a place where you can get them unplugged for a little while, this is a place to do it. This is not the place to come if you want fancy. You can stop reading this now if that's what you and your family desire. But come here if you want a place where you can sit by the fire at night and roast marshmallows and tell stories and play the guitar and watch meteor showers - a fire built especially for you by the owner, by the way. He actually splits the wood, right down to the kindling starter sticks. He also keeps handy a shovel and pit where guests can dig worms for fishing. And fishing we did. I have to say; it warmed my heart to see my teenage son and pre-teen daughter spending hours out on the river (the river right behind the motel) casting and catching fish. These are children who say, "I'm bored" if they aren’t being entertained by some form of technology or hanging out with their friends every minute of the day. But here they were, out climbing on the rocks, fishing, and hiking nearby on GSMNP trails. They wanted to go tubing but we didn’t manage to fit that in. We did make it whitewater rafting on the Nantahala, which was fun though my children would have preferred a bit more challenge. Still I recommend it for the experience and beauty.

The owners of this lodge are more than accommodating. They’ve had their hands full since they bought the place a year ago. It definitely needs some fixing up. But they go out of their way to make their guests comfortable. They are fun to chat with, too. They know a lot about the area, both to recommend places to go and to give you a little bit of history. Oh, and they do have Internet access. All you have to do is ask.

Cherokee and Bryson City are both nearby and have nicer, higher priced places to stay. But I wouldn’t want to trade being able to wake up and walk right down to the river for luxury. We had what we needed, and yes, we did bring our own pillows and our own coffee. But the coffee pot worked great, as did the microwave and toaster oven. We heated up our breakfast, made sandwiches to take along on our hikes and then ate dinner out.

Trip Advisor is not perfect because there are too many different personalities out there in world for a one size fits all review. So I’m trying to be honest by saying, it’s not a place to stay inside and stare at beautiful art on the walls and luxurious fixtures in the bathroom. It’s not fancy, but it’s comfortable, and the owners are good people who try hard to please. It’s a place to rest your head in between doing all the other fun things there are to do in the area. Take your kids and get outside!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We loved this place. Our crew was Mom and Dad with our kids 10,8,3. We all had a great time. The room was spacious enough, the beds were comfortable. The frig and air conditioner worked fine for us as well as the high pressure shower. If you are in love with your pillows, by all means take them. This place is about comfort. If sitting in a small, pretentiously appointed room, starring at a tv is your idea of good time--you won't like it here. This place is down to earth and from years past, but you can tell it has been kept with great care. On our stay, Dad and son fished in the river behind the rooms, a group of inter-tubers started their trek down the river, one group of kids who just met were running and laughing while another group were playing horse shoes. Parents chatted around campfires as the evening played on. The website gives an accurate depiction of this motel, and honestly it does look better in person. As a mom to three kids, what I liked best : Of all the places I've stayed from the Red Carpet Inn to Disney's Grand Floridian, this was the absolute cleanest ! With kids that is important. We'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2008

Every one has different expectations and comfort levels. We wish we had stayed elesewere. The owners were freindly but the place has seen better days. I found the lack of internet access dissapointing, shame on me for not noticing it prior to making reservations. The location was ok and quiet, the place was clean but worn out. The furnishings were cheap and dated. The bedding was old and faded, but clean. The towels were the see thru variety. The air conditioner was one of those $88.00 units found at discount stores and was grossly undersized for the space, we were hot. The refrigerator would not cool. The towel bar was missing. My wife and kids were not impressed with the shower. there were spare blankets on a plywood shelf that were absolutly shot. They reminded me of my dogs blanket with fuzz knots, but they were clean. They do offer a microwave and toaster oven but they had a sign posted "no cooking in the room" , I thought it a bit strange... The envelope on the counter with "Gratuities are appreciated" on it, was just a bit tacky. We noticed the art on the walls were miss matched and tacky. If you like velvet Elvis you might not have a problem with the art. They would have been better having nothingon the walls I learned a lesson that Trip Advisor is not perfect and the reviews come from people of all walks of life. I am sure to anyone on a tight budget the place would be O.K. But I beleive there is much better lodging in the area with the amenities most middle class travlers desire, but expect to pay more than the $78.00 a night at Two Rivers charges. You get what you pay for!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Lloyds on the River Country Inn
5 mi away
Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Baymont Inn & Suites Cherokee Smoky Mountains

Been to Two Rivers Lodge? Share your experiences!