“Problem addressed by Management”

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
Ranked #2 of 35 things to do in Bryson City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 52-mile rail journey through valleys, inside winding tunnels and across spectacular gorges of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Two friends and I had booked a getaway in Brevard, NC for Sept way in advance. We had booked the rental home and a train ride for the week of Sept 16. One of my friend's husband was diagnosed with Esophageal cancer in July and it became apparent by August that we would have to cancel our trip. Initially, GSMR was going to charge a $14 per ticket cancellation fee - I posted a review stating that I felt this was unfair due to the circumstances and management contacted me to apologize and our full refund was given. So I want to thank them and let them know that when we are able to go forward with out trip, we will definitely be rebooking the train ride as a part of our NC experience.

5  Thank 69Mary2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,436)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Some of the reviews for this activity are pretty negative... but we enjoyed our trip. As far as the cost, it is pricey but you know that going in so I'm not sure why people complain about the price. People should try to recognize the cost that must be involved in operating and maintaining the engines/fuel, cars, track, liability ins. etc.
I would have given it an excellent rating except for the staff. I really can't say that we encountered any staff member that made an effort to be friendly. I can accept the price, accept the food selections but if the train company wanted to make some cheap, easy? improvements... get the staff to be a little more friendly/helpful.

1  Thank K W
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We boarded the train at 10am. The train promptly left the station at 10:30am. We were served a tomato bisque soup which was very good. The bartender was ready to serve any drink upon request. Coffee, tea and softdrinks were included with the ticket admission. We also received a generous sandwich of chicken barbeque and some kettle chips. We enjoyed the views from the open car and we were blessed with a beautiful day. The sun was everywhere and a temperature of 78 degrees. We stopped at the NOC where there were many people enjoying the cold water and sunshine. We enjoyed a local beer and then back to our train after an hour stop. We has a great slice of key lime pie waiting on us there. This is a trip that is meant for young and old. We would definitely do this again!

1  Thank Kimmie R
Reviewed 29 September 2013

A delightful trip through the Smoky Mountains on a vintage train. It just does not get any better than this.

1  Thank blacksmith48
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Make sure you take advantage of the museum of miniature train. Best collection I have ever seen. Train ride was nice. I would recommend the box lunch so you can spend your time off the train looking around.