“Step Back in Time”
Review of Fryemont Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Fryemont Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing spot to kick back, but still close to hiking trails, rafting, zip lining through tall trees, biking, listening to Blue Grass music, or strolling through a genuine, small town, look no further. The Fryemont Inn in Bryson City, North Carolina, is conveniently located to all of the above, but away from the hustle and bustle of areas like Gatlinburg and Cherokee. The historic inn has a lovely porch and common area living room with a large fireplace. Bedrooms are quiet and comfortable, but nothing fancy. There are no phones or televisions in the bedrooms of the main lodge, although there are a tv and free Wi-Fi in the common area.If you must have a tv in your room, choose one of the cabins. A good breakfast and dinner with many options are included in your room rate. There is a great, fully-stocked bar, with an excellent bartender, and a serviceable wine list. Family owned and run, the Fryemont takes you back to a time when relaxation and quiet were a big part of your vacation.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back of the Inn are quieter than the ones that overlook the valley.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dingostar

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Fryemont Inn 5 nights from September 25 to the 30th. Very reasonably priced and the rate includes breakfast and dinner for 2. Cannot beat that. We were a bit dissapointed on arrival because we thought it was a bit more remote than it actually is (within walking distance of the town of Bryson City). It turned out that since we had reserved one of the balcony suites, which are close but a bit more remote, it did not bother us. The suite is rather nice if not luxurious. It has a living area with a kitchenette and a nice bedroom with fireplace and a bathroom. The bathroom could use some updating (walls, floors and tub), the micrawave is old and missing the rotating tray, and the TV are old style and the one in the bedroom is too small and so distant from the bed that the remote barely works. There is a nice all around balcony. IT is very quiet and a short walking distance from the inn where the dining room is located. We are glad we did not choose to book a room in the inn itself. They are dark and have a musty smell that overwhelms you the minute you enter by the side door. The reception area is very nice with a beautiful fireplace. The food at the inn is by no means gourmet. Homestyle cooking wth basic ingredients. They try to have more "healthful" options but fall a bit short. The menu, the same for both breakfast every day and every night, has too many choices. I would rather see less but better prepared meals. Service is uphazard, depends on who the server is and our room was cleaned better some days than others. Clientele during the week at least is older. I don't know if it is a chicken or the egg issue. Food is old style so the older crowd likes it
It would not take much for this place to be great. Deal with that unbearable smell and improve the food choices to accomodate more modern tastes.
Good place for hikers (that is why we were there). Wonderful hikes within less than 45 minutes drive.

Room Tip: If you like bright rooms and are sensitive to smell, stay away from the inn and book the balcony sui...
1  Thank vivelenny
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The smell of mold and mildew was overwhelming. The rooms were neat and clean but cheaply built of board and batten construction. The rugs probably are holding some of the mildew smell and should be replaced. I know that this is supposed to be a historic hotel but some things are just plain old, age does not always equal quality. I am a 25 year realtor, sell property in the Northeast, have sold antique homes and beach cottages much older than this and know shoddy built & poorly maintained structures. I would eat dinner here though (dining room didn't smell), the food was good and the service was gracious, bartender was very nice too.
The mildew smell just would make it impossible to stay here again, even sleeping with the windows all open.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

.I Retired a couple years ago from American Airlines...32 years in Customer Service...and while employed had the opportunity to do a good bit of traveling....and we have stayed in Hotels in Germany..France..England....Hawaii and so many in the US we cant count....I Know what Good Customer Service is....and the extreme lack of it today.....That is Not the case with the Fryemont......we "discovered" the Fryemont quite a few years ago...and try our best to go back as often as possible.......They have the Old Style Customer Service that you used to see years ago and is now so sadly lacking just about anywhere you go....whether it be a Hotel....Restaurant or even at a chain Hardware Store.....I have always told everyone that staying at the Fryemont for me ...is like going back in time....to an old Black and White movie of the 30s and 40s.....the Atmosphere of the whole place is just Fantastic.......and Ive read some of the reviews........and yes....there is no AC...nor are there Elevators....or Handicap Ramps........if you read the information on the Website or one of their Brochures....its pretty well spelled out........Hello People...!!...Its Not like they just suddenly spring it on you at check in......and someone said there was a lot of poison oak around.......Hey..this is the Smoky Mountains...!!..its NOT the Sahara Desert...so expect some poison oak...its not like theres a sign suggesting you go roll around in it...!!...In this day and time it seems like the everyone wants to be taken by the hand....told dont spill coffee in your lap...it will burn...and dont leave your hand in the screen door when you shut it....it will hurt you......it seems as good ole common sense has gone out the window for some people...........and i read in one of the reviews about the driveway is so steep you need a Jeep to get up it........Come on now.....be realistic....!!......Ive driven up it in my car....and also on a Honda Goldwing motorcycle.....and to be honest....the last few trips....I DID come up the drive in my old 1987 Red Jeep...(didnt have to use 4-wheel drive either)......as for the food.....its Fantastic......and the sweet lady in the bar always has my Glenlivet on the rocks just the way I like it....along with those fabulous crackers....and the dining room is just a couple steps away...........and .No..there are no Televisions in the rooms nor computer service......when you come to the Fryemont....you are there for a pleasant relaxing visit.......so the lack of televisions and ac in the rooms are a plus in my book......The Staff at the desk have Always been courteous....in person or on the phone.......As I mentioned earlier.......we have stayed in Hotels just about all over the world.......and the Fryemont leaves all the others in the dust......on a scale of 1 to 10....in my book....the Fryemont is pegging a 12+........My Wife owns a Travel Agency and we promote the Fryemont as often as we can........No....we dont get a "kickback" for saying it......we have just had quite a number of people ask...."do you know a good place to stay in the Smoky Mtns.?"......and we do.....the Fryemont.........so many people today complain about the little things....it reminds me of the old Cowboy saying..."Some folks would complain if you hung em with a new rope".......and as a final note....I have to say......Monica is cute too ......which is a bonus in my book... :) (just had to add that)

Room Tip: We love the first floor rooms due to my wifes knee surgery......also its close to the lobby....A Fan...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hans0072013
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Let me start off by stating that this place was established in 1923. It's over 90 years old but it's been well kept. Rough sawn wood, bark siding, doors don't open and close smoothly, there are no elevators, it's not wheel chair friendly, I doubt there's a level floor in the place, no a/c in the main inn, the only TV is in the lobby, wi-fi is only available in the lobby. It's part of the fabulous charm. The beds are comfortable, each room has a ceiling fan, the casement windows slid well, everything is clean. The large pool was closed for the season but looked like fun. The large lobby and porch invites guests to hang out: play games, assemble puzzles, sit by the huge fireplace, watch a game on the TV, rock hours away watching clouds dance around the mountains across town and smile at the occasional train horn. Town is just a short walk down the hill where you can take excursions on the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad. The price for a room includes breakfast and a four course dinner (less bar and tip)! We expected so-so food but were blown away by some of the best comforting food we've had. Great selection of dinner entrees. Not fine dinning but darn good grub. Noticed that the "locals" use the restaurant for their special events and big deal meals.
I haven't mentioned the best part. The staff. From inn keepers, to front desk, to wait staff, to housekeeping - these are some of the friendliest, most positive people you'll ever meet!
I wish we had stayed at the inn sooner because I plan to go back - often.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 4thacura
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights at the start of a 3 week tour. We loved our balcony suite... like a treehouse for grown ups! Very comfortable and very quiet making for a great nights sleep. The rate included breakfast and dinner which made it great value for money. No problem with this at all except very slow service one morning at breakfast. It was 20mins before we got acoffee and 40mins before our food order arrived. Luckily we wern't in a hurry! We met several people who had been coming back for years and I'm not suprised. Dinner in the evening was good in a homely way.. not fine dining! Coming from the UK we found some of the vegetable offering a bit strange but thats' s just us.

1  Thank sueg47
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We loved the charm of the room, the fresh mountain breeze, and the sunset views from the rocking chairs in the porch! The evening meal, included with the room rate, was amazing! I had the pecan trout, my DH had prime rib plus wonderful sides, soup, salad, and cobbler for dessert! The next morning we were treated to another wonderful, order from a menu breakfast. The whole experience was welcoming and relaxing...puzzles set out to work, board games and books available . We didn't swim but the huge pool looked inviting as well. We came as a couple, but would love to come back with the whole family.

Room Tip: We loved our room in the main old part of the lodge.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple