“Close to Hospital: Overall good options with a few noted exceptions”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Burlington (Elon)
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Burlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Indianapolis
“Close to Hospital: Overall good options with a few noted exceptions”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were there due to a family member being in the hospital. The location of the hotel is very convenient to the hospital-- about 4 minutes drive away.

CON: The food in the breakfast is low quality even though the variety was high. Quality service of front desk varied from great to horrible -- inconsistent.

PRO:The housekeeping manager was friendly. Location to hospital. Several restaurants/eateries in the area. (Extra Tip: Mellow Mushroom is yummy.) We enjoyed the suites space and amenities and the beds were very comfortable!

My Experience: We experienced helpful service from Gretchen during our stay but did come upon a hiccup of rude service at the front desk with Nora. When we told her the hot water wasn't hot and asked her how to get hot water for some tea she told us she was busy and copped an attitude. When my mom apologized for upsetting her (which she really didn't need to apologize), Nora replied that she was very busy. I confronted her, telling her that if a hotel offers a service and it doesn't meet the expectations, no matter how busy you are, there is a way to speak to your guests. I offered that she could have at least told us that she would get right on it just as soon as she finished her tasks. We weren't unwilling to wait and our expectations were not prissy. Nora apologized to my mother but it really stuck in my mind that the hotel needs to know about her horrible service for coaching opportunities. I will say that she apologized but it still upset me because my family was in town because a family member was dying. This was an opportunity for compassion and empathy for a guest to be displayed to deliver WOW service-- but instead human compassion was zero and it was just salt in the wound.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shannon P
CountrySuites, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Burlington (Elon), responded to this review, 5 September 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from an associate. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. You can rest assured that the issue with the desk associate has been addressed. Should you have additional concerns, please contact the hotel, 336-584-1115, and ask for Michael.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It was very clean and the TV ware new. Best free breakfast ever! The room was outstanding. Staff was very professional. Worth the money. Top notch. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Christopher M
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a road trip from South Carolina to Virginia. We received a warm welcome and had a very comfortable and spacious room for the night. Yes it is close to the traffic but it didn't really bother us. Plenty of eating options nearby, we chose to have food delivered to our room which came very quickly. The location meant that we were off and running on the next leg of our trip within minutes of checking out so all in all, very convenient.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil S
florida
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Oh boy was I pleased to see a clean room and a shower with great water pressure! I asked for a room in the back away from the interstate and had a much needed restful nights sleep in a comfortable bed. The breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausage, potatos, fruit, all the standard continental style breads, cereals, and juices. I'd stay here again if I find myself back in Burlington. Added bonus- lots if shopping and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FSUSeminole
Largo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel from June 5-9. Check-in was simple and the staff was so friendly. This hotel was recommended by my daughter and was our first experience staying here. We could not have been happier. This two room suite enable both my husband and myself to each watch our own television program. There was plenty of room. The king bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was great each day and I so looked forward to the strawberries and cantaloupe. There was plenty of shopping nearby at Alamance Crossing and numerous restaurants. We enjoyed this so much we stayed at another Country Suites in Brunswick, GA. Will definitely recommend this hotel and plan to stay here again at our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rtrdpat
Reviewed 9 June 2013

All accommodations were suites. This hotel was older but very well kept and clean. The breakfast was upper scale continental. There were. A variety of choices. The beds here very comfortable. A very pleasant stay. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RossieWilliams
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I always stay at hotels in the Carlson group because I get points that I can use to pay for other stays. I've stayed in Country Inns and Suites all over. This one was the BEST of all! Nice little city near Greensboro, NC, nice quiet neighborhood, and a beautiful, immaculate hotel! This one only has suites...but the prices are the same as the others. I should have taken pictures. My room had a living room area with a pull out sofa bed and a nice flat screen TV...about 32in. Little kitchen area had a nice fridge and a microwave. Bedroom had a comfortable king bed with another flat screen! No noise at all.

Everything was so clean and smelling so good. Bathroom immaculate! I just can't emphasize that enough. Cleaning staff was polite and helpful. All front desk personnel were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was waaay better than 'at home'! Bacon, eggs, waffles, juices, cereals, muffins, bagels. Not sure if there was sausage. Four kinds of coffee...just AWESOME!

I won't be staying here again because I'm visiting my friend--I'll be visiting my friend again so I can stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: I was in room 324 but I'm sure they are ALL superior!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo