“Decent stay, but staff needs to up their game a bit”

Econo Lodge Burlington
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Last time I stayed here in 2011 it was a Red Roof Inn. Now it is Econolodge. No big deal.
Felt like the staff needed to up their game just a bit this time around though. It was not a bad stay, but there were just a few little things that were off. Overall it was a good stay. And they do allow pets. And is close enough to the Burlington BMX track, which is what I was here for.

When I arrived, there was a sign at the desk that said they would be back in 10 minutes. After driving 7+ hours, that did not make my day. But fortunately it was only a couple minutes. Got room 242, which was right in front of the ice machine and near the stairwell. Was worried about the noise, but it was not too bad really. Was manageable.

Went out for dinner and errands. Got back at 11ish and asked the guy what were the breakfast hours. He said 6:30. I said ok, thinking I am not a morning person and I won't be there anywhere near 6:30, so had to ask, when does it end. He said 10:30 A.M. I was thinking, Finally!!! A place that has decent breakfast hours. I wrote the hours he said on my paper. I didn't have to be at the track until 12 and wanted to get some rest/sleep. Got to the breakfast area at about 10:15 and it was empty. The woman was cleaning up. Then saw there was a sign in the breakfast area (you wouldn't see it from the lobby) that said breakfast hours 6:30 - 10:00. I looked in the storage room and saw they did have bags of cereal. The woman asked if she could help me. I said the guy at the desk last night told us breakfast ended at 10:30. Can we at least get something to eat? Cereal? She said no! I could tell she wasn't going to be helpful, so immediately went to the desk to ask for the Manager. Couldn't believe she wouldn't even give us something. Especially when the guy had told us 10:30. The Manager was very friendly and nice. Too bad all the staff were not that way. He apologized and did offer to get us a bowl of cereal and some milk. So all was well. Did make breakfast the next day around 9:45. However, the same woman said "what are you doing" when we put the hard boiled eggs in the microwave. Lucky she didn't say it to me. I found out about it after. Apparently she had cleaned the microwave and was afraid the hardboiled egg would explode. That was a bit much. Asking someone over 40 years old "what are you doing" heating some eggs. That is extremely poor customer service and just not right. Personally I think she is a bit too anxious to clean up the breakfast area. Breakfast should be more of a soft close. And it really should go until 10:30 or 11. Not sure why it starts at 6:30. Geez. That is too early for me. 6:30 to 10:30 did sound good when the guy had said it. But don't be so quick to be closing it and get a little more customer service friendly. We're the ones paying you, not the other way around.

Got back to the room that Saturday night and was surprised the beds were not made up and the room had not been touched. Thought that was weird. I knew we had put the do not disturb sign back in the room before we left for the day. Then saw someone had hung another do not disturb sign on the door handle, not stuck in the lock slot. Was like, what the heck. Didn't make a fuss, but was a bit annoyed.

The towel rack in the bathroom was partly coming out of the wall. And one of the lightbulbs by the bed was burned out. Switched a bulb out from one of the lamps.

Had put the do not disturb sign in the door lock that night. Then around 9:30ish Sunday morning, the maid was knocking on the door. I was thinking, what the heck, why are you knocking when the do not disturb sign was in the door. Told her we were checking out later and leaving and didn't need service. Saw the do not disturb sign out of the key lock and sitting on the door ledge at the floor. So she hadn't come when we wanted her and came when we didn't want her. Figure kids must have been playing around at the ice area both days, and messed with us. Perhaps they should move the ice machine? Was a bit annoying both days. Also might want to add a sign that says no talking while getting ice or please be quiet as people in the rooms can hear you.

Also, there is no elevator in this hotel. So had to go up and down the stairs with 2 bikes and all the gear. Not a huge deal, but does make it difficult. Thought they should have had an elevator or ramp or something so you could at least use the cart.

Also, the outside door had issues with opening with the key after hours. Seemed to work fine during the day.

Did bring my own pillows and did sleep fine. The room was nice and big with plenty of space. The hanger area was good, but a bit annoying that many of the hangers would not come out of the holder. Seemed a little cheap in that regard.

So like I said, staff just seemed a little off, could have done a much better job. And a few little things were off. But was a decent stay. There is a Cracker Barrel, Applebys, etc about 1 exit away down the freeway. Not sure if they accept pets or not, but there was a Hampton Inn and Suites at that exit as well.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 242 (double bed), near the stairwell and in front of the ice machine. Room 240 last...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 May 2013

My husband I spent last Saturday night at this building masquarading as a motel and all I can say is, "What a Horrible Experience With No Equal" in all of our years of traveling. I chose this Econo Lodge as the Microtel nearby was booked and the Trip Advisor reviews were highly rated..Oh, Big Mistake!! The desk staff were friendly, but just barely so...they honestly could have cared less. As we checked in, I noticed, immediately, not only a dark as pitch look, but also an overwhelming smell and, upon opening our room's door, that smell almost overcame me!! Housekeeping came in when we asked for something to help clear the smell, only to "splash" 2 scents on everything in the room...even our luggage!! The bedspreads stunk, the light fixtures were nasty, the chairs at the ragged, uneven table were cigarette burned & nasty and the carpets ingrained with filth. And, I am not exaggerating...honestly!! The motel was noisy, even at 4:30 pm when we checked in and we were both awakened during the night by what sounded like stomping and yelling above us. I felt as if I had spent a sleepless night in a tomb!! (Neither of us got over 3 hours sleep between the smell and the noise mixed with the horrible, cheap, old sheets...and awful pillows!!). There was NO need to make a comment to the staff as, we both knew every room in the place had to be the same and asking for a room change would be fruitless. Thank goodness we were only actually in the room for the few hours we slept as the remainder of our time was spent with our daughter, who lives in Burlington...for this would have been a "forget the money and leave trip" had we not been visiting our family for my husband's 60th birthday, without a doubt!! DO NOT even consider booking a room here...this motel is good only for demolition!! A disgrace to the Choice Hotel Chain and a public health nuisance...which I plan to report to public health authorities in Alamance County. This Econo Lodge is DEFINATELY unsafe for human habitation. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE...Be Warned...I Wish We Had Been!! Simply Beyond Description Horrible!!
PS---Not A word Per the Pool, Gym or Continental Breakfast...we would not have dared to check any of these Amenities out, believe me!!
PPSS--The only good thing I can say is that the towels were clean and news...does that explain this motel enough?!

Room Tip: There Cannot Possibly Be One Single Good Room In The Place...Not Possible!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ACH1956
Robert S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

We appreciate your response regarding your experience at our hotel. We accommodate many guests each night and it's our goal to make their stay a satisfying one. I want to apologize for any inconvienence while a guest at our hotel.
We gladly would have moved you to another room, but you gave us no chance to correct or resolve any issues described in your review.
Our occupancy increases year after year, the health dept inspections from Alamance Co. improve year after year, we use regulation Choice Hotels sheets washing them daily (unlike our competitors), our Medallia scores indicate the highest in the guest services category (the front desk ).
Unfortunately, at this time it seems we are unable to accomodate you to your satisfaction. We ask when you visit the area in the future that you please find alternate accomodations better suited to your standards.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

The Econo Lodge in Burlington is a good place to stay everyone makes you feel at home when you stay at the Lodge. They even let you bring your pets. So bring the whole family,friends mom ,dad, granddad, granma, sister, brother,aunts,uncles, everone you know is, Welcome Here. So if your in town, in Burlingtion Nc and need a place to stay come to the EconoLodge, it will be the best thing you could ever do, for all of you. You get to know and meet realy good people, here, and everyone likes to help eachother. they put a smile on you face.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have done a lot of traveling in my life time, and this is a Lodge ,I will always come back to. You have a good family here and caring family. Bring all your family will you when you come and bring Spot, the Dog and Coco the Cat, Everyone is Welcome Here. They are here to help you with all your needs.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Not sure where to start. Check in was good - our room wasn't what we had wanted (My fault) and they fixed it quickly. Everything went downhill from there. Most hotels are eliminating smoking - this hotel allows it on one complete floor. All the rooms on that floor smell. I have a CPAP machine and it still wafts smokey smells. The bedspread was torn. The TV dated from the Dick van Dyke Show - but then maybe all the shows were in green tones that night. Then we had a near fight outside our door - told them to take it outside. Apparently they did and I found out the next morning the police were called because some of the kids were being accused of throwing rocks at a truck.

OK - so then about 1AM another group decided to convene outside our door (Do we have "Meet Here" on our door?) I again asked them to quiet down - they did - about 15%.

Everything in the room was dated - the swimming pool is in the parking lot; WIFI didn't work.

To be fair, our room charge was credited based on our comments.

Room Tip: No such thing
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in August for a dog show. The room was clean and spacious. However, the microwave was old and noisy, as was the refrigerator and A/C unit. There was unrepaired water damage to an outer wall as well. The halls were noisy at night. Breakfast was bare bones, but adequate. We would probably only stay here again if we had little other choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chryscenthia
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The check-in/out were great, however it was downhill from there. First got woke up in the middle of the night by loud guest making lots of noise in the hall right outside the door. Then after getting back to sleep only to be awaken by the fire alarm going off throughout the entire motel only to find it was a defective smoke detector. This was followed by the man two doors down complaining about the door falling off its hinges somehow in this he lost his dog and started whistling down the hall for it. To top it off we were then woke up by them banging while putting the door back up! Would have been better off to stay in the car maybe we would have got some sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family