“Great day trip.”

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Buxton
More attraction details
Owner description: The nation's tallest lighthouse was moved to a different location to preserve it.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A long walk up a skinny spiral staircase gets you to the top of the lighthouse. What an amazing view. Watch out for the wind, it'll blow year hat right off your head. Lots of good information about the history and move of the lighthouse. I would definitely make the trip again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,098)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I visited the lighthouse my first full day in Hatteras (a Friday morning). I was able to walk from my hotel. There were multiple tour buses parked there when I arrived, but the ranger at the ticket counter was able to recommend a climb time when there would be fewer school groups. The signage and guides kept stressing how strenuous the climb is, but it's only 256 steps in total -- with a landing every 30 or so. So I didn't find it very strenuous. Beautiful views at the top. It's a quick trip (probably in and out in 20 minutes) but at only $8, you can't miss it.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We love this lighthouse! There is a small gift shop and bathrooms here. You can also visit the original site of the lighthouse and the beach. If you want to climb, a limited number of tickets are sold every 10-15 minutes. Adult prices at $8. There are discounts for children, seniors, and disabled. The climb is strenuous, but you go at your own pace. There are park rangers at the top, middle, and bottom of the tower to assist or answer your questions. The view from the top is awesome, but hold on to your hat!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had not been back to Hatteras since I was a teenager and my wife had never been here. We were eager to come back, and today we enjoyed the pleasure of visiting. the lighthouse is beautiful, the paint job is incredible. we climbed to the top and thoroughly enjoyed being buffeted by 35+ MPH winds, it was quite fun. Seeing how the lighthouse had been moved, and just how far it was moved, was incredible. We gladly paid the $8 fee to climb, and we visited the gift shop as well. Highly recommend. Make time for the museum, the gift shop, and exploring where the lighthouse used to sit. The rangers told us that 2 weeks ago they removed the granite blocks that used to mark the site where the lighthouse used to sit, it is uncertain what will mark the spot now.

1  Thank Jonathan K
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We always stop here when we are in the Outer Banks. Nice site. It is also dog friendly. Beautiful grounds. Wonderful history about Hatteras Lighthouse.