“OMG. Best meal in a long while!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sandbar & Grille
Ranked #9 of 21 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$7 - US$42
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a casual dining restaurant located on the Pamlico Sound in Buxton. We have been serving lunch and dinner on the Outer Banks for 18 years now, six in Hatteras until Hurricane Isabel took our building away, and then we blew up the road to Buxton for the last 12 years. At this time lunch is served daily 11:30-3, and dinner is served nightly at 5pm. All of our soups are homemade, we serve an assortment of fresh seafood daily, as well as sandwiches, steaks, ribs, and pastas. We have live music on the deck Thursday & Friday nights this summer. Hope to see you there!!
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“OMG. Best meal in a long while!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

It was with some trepidation we went here tonight as it seems to have very mixed reviews. Why is all I can say!
This is a fantastic place. The location is wonderful, situated right on a sandbar - literally. So well named. I happily sat and watched the sunset as we waited for our meal
Iain - our server - was great! He recommended a good wine. And helped with my order. I had blackened tuna steak, topped with crab with sides of mash and broccoli. And hubby had ribs which fell off the bone ( knife wasn't needed, you were so right Iain ) with fries and slaw.
We both said the place was great from ambience to food. Romantic I guess if you sat outside. But inside was TV's with sport coverage.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank smiletravels

“If you'r not local, don't bother going there!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I came in with my buddy for dinner, as we came in there was no one at the front desk to seat us, so we figured we can sit anywhere since the place was pretty much empty. We set down next to an elderly couple which were engaged in a conversation with the waitress. After sitting there for about 5 min. A man walks up to us and ask us if we are here for dinner to which I reply "yes". He replies "ok no problem but can please ask you to move? We have a live band that we want to set up here". I figured no problem, he walks us over to a different table and walks away without saying anything else to us or giving us menus. 5 min later a waitress walks up to us and asks us how we are doing tonight and if we came from Georgia, I said "no we're from NJ" after which she replied "ohh ok, some one told me you were from Georgia, and I'm from Georgia too". She smiles and walks away. 5 min later another man walks up to us and asked us if we were being taken care of which once again I patiently replayed " no we haven't". 5 more min go by and my friend and I get up com the table and start heading towards the door. I see the same waitress siting at the table where they told us to move from and counting all her tips, and the receptionist doing something at the front desk. I gave here an unpleasant look which right away turned to the waitress that was counting her tips and said " what happened with them?" To which the waitress replied " ohh they're not from around here". The receptionist did not try to stop us or apologize to us and just let us walk out the front door.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank NickOrtin
jbug348, Owner at Sandbar & Grille, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
I got an email about your review today and all I can say is - this was an epic fail...and I am not making excuses, but, I do think I have figured out what happened. Our kitchen at this time of year will close anywhere from 8:30 on. I'm guessing you came in around 9. The hostess was likely in the kitchen putting some things away, the door guys, who thought you were there to see the band but should have asked, relocated you, but then assumed you were there to drink, and after the kitchen is closed for full menu, ordering is at the bar only. The waitress that walked over and asked if you were from Georgia, did that because I had just told her that the band was from Georgia, and as you were sitting near the band area when she did, she made the assumption that you were part of or with the band. She was already done for the evening, as the servers were all finishing up to go home. We do have a late nite menu on evenings that the bar is open later, the bartenders were horrified to hear that no one waited on you. The dinner into late nite transition here was obviously not a smooth one, and I couldn't be sorrier that you were ignored. If you ever feel like giving us another chance, I would be happy to personally buy your first round. If not, I do understand...Jane
Conyers, Georgia
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is the first place we go when we get into town. Love the food and atmosphere. Be sure to go outside on the porch and check out the awesome view. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. Love this place and will return year after year!

• Visited June 2013
Katy, Texas
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Fabulous Food & Drinks! Priced well & casual atmosphere. Staff was very nice! My group order the boiled shrimp which we thought were the best we'd ever eaten; the filet topped with crab meat which was amazing & the stuffed tilapia. All were wonderful & we had a wonderful evening!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sharyn S
Dayton, Ohio
“Great Food - Beautiful Sunset View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

There are not too many restaurants open in February in the Outer Banks and I think the Sandbar just recently reopened. During our stay we ate here twice. My wife had the crab legs special and I had the stuffed flounder. Their mussels are terrific. You will ask for extra bread to soak up the broth. The server went out of her way to be friendly and engaging. Put the Sandbar on your must list!

• Visited February 2014