“Good fish tacos -- but waiting for them tested my patience”

Buxton Munch Company
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$2 - US$14
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Serving Locals & Visitors since 1999. We specialize in over 30 Gourmet Wraps & Quesadillas. Oven-Toasted Subs & Sammies. Big Salads in Edible Tortilla Bowls. Fresh-daily-hand-pressed Angus Burgers & Freakingood Fries! They say we have the Best Fish Tacos and Shrimp Tacos on the Beach! And our Crabby Pattie Crabcake has been a best-seller for over 18 years! And the Blackened Fish Wrap or Sub/Sandwich is killer-good! Lots of Apps & Sides. Fresh French Roast Coffee. Nice selection of Hot Teas. Daily-brewed Sweet Tea and Unsweet Tea. Bottled beverages & Sodas. Beer & Wine. But please realize one thing - We are NOT a fast food joint. And if we are busy, then of course there will be a wait, as in any restaurant. We make it Real. We make it Fresh. Feed your body real stuff. "A Groovy Little Place With A Whole Lotta Taste!" PEACE.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I visited Buxton Munch shortly after checking into my hotel. It was late in the lunch hour (1:30) and mid-week (Thursday). I enjoyed what I ordered (fish tacos) but waiting for an opportunity to order them tested my patience. Service was slow and flaky. The place is small and the screaming-child factor was high. Also, it isn't open on Sundays, which strikes me as odd since this is a beach town and this is the summer? No bueno.

3  Thank MsDC2LA
M and M M, Owner at Buxton Munch Company, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

We are a small place. It is overwhelming when we get packed out, so you need to bring your patience along on vacation, too. Most people come from big cities and big lives and they come with big city expectations to a small island, and that is unreasonable. As for the screaming children, we aren't crazy about that either, but such is life from time to time. Children are respected guests, too, and we can't always control such things. Maybe you would be happier with a carry-out order next time, so you can take your food to a quiet place on the beach to chill out...... And by the way, we are closed on Sundays, because it is The Day of Rest according to God.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I ate here with a group of friends and the majority of us got the Fish Tacos. They were very tasty. The fish was well cooked and came with a giant platter of items to put on your tacos.

The restaurant doesn't have any real views of the water, but they make up for that by having a cheery interior. We sat along the bar and there were several board games and cards lying around to make our wait fun.

Everyone seemed to like their food and the price was reasonable. I found the fish tacos (blackened) to be cooked well and enjoyed making my tacos the way I like them. You can even add Avocados’ to your Tacos for a dollar.

The only thing I didn't really enjoy was that they would not let us split the check or let us use multiple cards to pay the check (splitting the amount evenly onto the cards). If you aren't expecting this it is not fun to figure out who wants to put the entire bill on their card and then figure out how everyone is going to settle up since a lot of people don't just carry large amounts of cash on them. We made it a point to check with other places we ate to see if this was a practice in the area, but it was just at this location that we had this issue.

Outside of that, the food was good and the atmosphere was pleasant. You can relax and play a game while you wait. It is a nice casual place to eat; just make sure you have cash if you're going with a group.

1  Thank RNH82
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Ate there twice in 2013 and will go at least 2 times in 2014! Loved the locals very nice. We have found our new beach and hang out.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Best wraps and crab cake sandwiches, wraps are so large you can share them. Go one time and you will be hooked!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

People raved about it but we found it just average. My wife ordered the Caesar with the grilled fish added to it for an extra cost. What came was a mixed green salad with Caesar dressing and no romaine lettuce. The fish was good but the salad in a red flour tortilla bowl was just so-so. I had the French Dip which was fine but nothing special. My side was tortilla chips cut into small strips with most of them being died red, black etc. I only ate the non-died ones, a lot of work to dig them out. Everything about the place was just average—food, service, atmosphere. You can do better in Buxton.

4  Thank Lighthouse2006
M and M M, Owner at Buxton Munch Company, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

We do not "hype" anything. We serve simple, fresh food and have been doing so for 15 years now. And we have very limited resources on this tiny island. We probably ran out of romaine that day, so we made the best of it, and still put out a nice healthy meal for you. Sometimes what we order just doesn't make it on the food delivery truck, and we cannot help that. But to say "You can do much better in Buxton" wasn't fair or very nice. We have a huge local following and many return customers who are very happy with our food & service. Eat at the upscale places next time, and maybe they can make you happy.