“Short, but pleasant”

Cape Hatteras Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Because we spend our annual beach trip in Nags Head, we haven't stayed on Hatteras Island in many years.After my son-in-law arranged a weekend fishing trip, my daughter found this motel on the internet and I must say that we were all very pleased. We found it to be modest and comfortable, bright and clean. I loved staying in a place where the windows actually open and are supposed to be uses for cross ventilation. It was wonderful to sleep with the sound of the ocean drifting in through the open windows. We do not care for frills at the beach so this place was perfect. And talk about being "a stone's throw" from the ocean! I also loved the primitive, laid back atmosphere. The only thing I would recommend to the owner is to add elevators. I'm in my early 50's and climbing the steps with grandchildren & luggage & groceries was trying for me...I can imagine how the elderly and/or handicapped would struggle. Still...all in all, it's a great place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Valerie H

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I came here after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and am glad I did. Great location, the beach is right ther, even if you have the nonbeachfront rooms, it is right over the sand dunes. I felt welcomed by Dan the owner and he also owns the restaurant across the street Shipwreck Grill. Rooms are clean and spacious, coffee maker, toaster, fridge microwave. Great puffy comforters on the bed, big bathrooms. Love it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mel4
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Cape Hatteras Motel is separated from "civilization" of the developed Nags Head area by about 50 miles of mostly desolate national seashore and wildlife preserve. It is separated from the Atlantic Ocean by a formidable sand dune, to keep it from being battered away by waves during frequent storms. Walk 50 feet to cross the dune and you are on a miles-long beach with exquisite sand (publicly owned if you walk north); walk a mile south to reach a historic lighthouse. Drive a few miles and you have a choice of locally-owned restaurants. The location is great for someone who appreciates being an hour away from chain fast food, big box stores, and acres of pavement. Like the outside of all nearby buildings exposed to this harsh environment of blowing salt spray and sand, the Motel is weathered. In contrast the interior of the room I used was very clean and comfortable (enormous bathroom!), adequately equipped with a fridge and microwave. It was a good base of operations to explore this area for a few days. Owners/managers were friendly and quickly adjusted my reservation when I was delayed in arrival. On my next trip to Hatteras this will again be my first choice.

Room Tip: Choose Oceanfront room on upper floors to see ocean from your room, or save $ on Oceanside behind th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We have stayed here going on 3 years in a row and will continue to. The staff and owner are very nice! We took our honeymoon there and anniversary trips as well, looking forward to going again this year. We stay in the oceanfront apartments and they were well equipped with dishes and the rooms were nice and neat, not too far from shopping and grocery stores and well worth the money for the view alone!!!! GREAT PLACE!!!!!!!! TOTALLY recommend!!

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are just as nice, if you take family, definitely go with the apartments or tow...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
CapeHatterasGroup, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed our oceanfront apartments. We are in the process of remodeling these with new tile floors and flat screen tv's so your next stay may be just as enjoyable. We look forward to your next visit. Dave

Reviewed 30 December 2011

Well located base to explore the Outer Banks. This motel reminded me of old beach houses I have stayed at. I hadn't been in this area for over 40 years but I remember taking long walks on the beach day and night and seeing old hulks of shipwrecks along the way. Alas, the shipwrecks have been moved to the Graveyard of the Atlantic museum, but the walks were still pleasant especially at night. The motel is located right on the beach although many of the rooms don't have much of an ocean view. The elderly lady behind the counter was a trip and very nice.

Room Tip: If you want ocean view you pay more.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for the kind review, however from your desciption it sounds like you may have stayed at the Outer Banks Motel next door. I am sure they thank you as well. Dave

Reviewed 10 October 2011

My wife and I stayed in top-floor, ocean front kitchenette during July 2010 and enjoyed a quiet week at the beach. The motel is on the South end of National Park land so the beach below us was never crowded. Buxton isn't the hectic beach scene you find farther up the coast in Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills - we spent several days beachcombing for shells and didn't have to weave through the crowds. The view from the third floor shaded balcony is enchanting - I could sit there for hours watching the surf and birds in the constant breeze. The beach is sandy and the waves were gentle - great for kids and old duffers like me.
Granted, the building has seen better days but one must understand it endures a constant onslaught in its oceanside environment. The exterior is weather worn but the room was very spacious, clean and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was also clean and roomy. The kitchen is small but functional and we had fun creating meals from provisions we bought at the well-stocked Conner's Supermarket nearby using their eclectic assortment of kitchen utensils. The motel doesn't provide maid service for their kitchenettes so you'll have to make your own beds and exchange your soiled linens at the main office across the road. Sounds deplorable for a vacation but it wasn't that bad.
There was no curtain for the front window, only venetian blinds. So, the sun woke us up very early the first morning. We hung an opaque tarp over the window before retiring the next night and overslept the next morning.
Yes, the place could use a facelift but with the ocean advancing on the property, why would the owner invest serious money in the structure? The owner says they lost two bungalows and a row of single story rooms in a decade of storms so improvements to the surviving buildings wouldn't make economic sense. Eventually, as has happened up and down the Banks, the property will erode slowly into the surf. This place isn't fancy but it is hopelessly romantic. We plan to go again before the place disappears. Take books, binoculars and a few bottles of wine.
The motel is quiet and bypassed by the hustle-bustle beach crowd flowing up and down Rt.12. Cape Hatteras National Seashore is a minute away, the Ocracoke ferry landing (free ride to the island) is about 20 minutes Souh and there are several nice restaurants and breakfast places in Buxton and nearby villages.
A word of warning: One evening we strolled up the lonely, undeveloped beach at sunset thinking how wonderful it was to have the seashore all to ourselves. As night descended, so did legions of hungry, salt-marsh mosquitoes on our bare skin. We had to run back to the safety of the motel room. Oh, so that's why we had the beach to ourselves. It was another reminder that we weren't at a resort but in a very natural area.
The Cape Hatteras isn't a resort or spa but a nice quiet place to relax and enjoy some time on the beach. It isn't fancy but it's the only property where I've stayed next to undeveloped East Coast oceanfront. If you appreciate uncrowded beaches and a quiet place to stay, you'll enjoy this place.

Room Tip: The third-floor ocean front rooms have the best ocean views. No elevator but you'll get used to...
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ArnzT100
CapeHatterasGroup, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

I appreciate your input. The oceanfront efficiency you stayed in has now been remodeled along with the other units in that building, including new floors and window treatments. Dave

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We just got back from our first stay on the Outer Banks…it won’t be out last!

The motel was perfect. The location is to die for! Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the ocean. What a view! The sound of the waves was so relaxing. The beach is sandy, clean, and not crowded at all. The room had all the amenities that you could need (small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster). We would go to the grocery store and buy food for breakfast and lunch. The bed was very comfortable. It’s not a five star hotel but it’s perfect for a beach vacation.

The staff (owner and his assistant) were very helpful and personable.

We loved this place so much we ended up staying an extra day. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank doucanoe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Outer Banks Motel
Outer Banks Motel
#6 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras Motel? Share your experiences!