Will preface this review by saying that we have been staying at the Cape Hatteras Motel for 40 years. Where once the father was the owner, the son now owns the property. I absolutely love the environment! Where some complain about price, I feel exactly the opposite! The weekly rate is amazing for ANY establishment on the beach! The four people in my family (myself, my husband, and my two children) rent one soundside apartment. My brother and his family of four rent an an adjacent soundside apartment. The kids run back and forth across the shared porch which is a great place for the adults to hang in a rocking chair with a cocktail and a great view of the lighthouse! It's togetherness without being TOO together, if you know what I mean. Each family has their own privacy in a 2 bedroom, full kitchen, full bathroom, and full living room unit. Plus, the price is certainly right! Wouldn't change a thins!
Very private beach. No buildings for miles west of this motel!
Proximity to the ocean and sound (its at the narrowest point of the island) (Thus the "storm hazard"!)
Roominess of apartments
Pool and hot tub open late and fun to go to with a refreshing "adult beverage"
Friendliness of staff
Love the idea that there is absolutely nothing for the kids to "nickel and dime me to death" over...
(Daily routine: beach, lunch, pool, dinner, pool or ice cream)
Beach house experience without having to bring your own towels, sheets, etc.
Response to other reviewers "cons":
Housekeeping is not daily, if you need something, you will have to walk into the friendly office and ask for it...They will go OUT OF THEIR WAY to assist you!
(There is very little you will need as the kitchens are very well stocked.)
When your towels are dirty, you walk over, say hello to the staff and trade them in for a pile of warm, freshly washed ones. No big deal!
If you do not tell the management about a problem that you may have, how can they be expected to fix it!
Cups are normal hotel grade...smh!
It is a beach place that gets stung by storms every year...I have seen what Dave and crew go through after each one, and they are doing their best.
(My family actually lost 3 cars there during Hurricane Alex and even without power, Dave's concern for us was obvious and he comped us the us days without power and helped us find a room with power for our two small babies).
Stick with the family run businesses and enjoy yourself while supporting them!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cape Hatteras Motel is located on the oceanfront in Buxton North Carolina. We are located about a mile down the beach from the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. The motel is bordered by the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the Atlantic Ocean. The motel has a fresh water pool with a hot tub. When conditions are safe, our beach is great for swimming and surfing. It is also one of the best places in the country to surf fish. We are about ten miles from the marinas at Hatteras Inlet. Boats out of Hatteras have the shortest run to the gulf stream north of Florida. There is also a fishing pier five miles north of Cape Hatteras Motel. We offer oceanfront rooms with either one king or two queen beds. We also offer two bedroom suites, complete with full kitchens.These units are complete with linens and dishes. All units have access to free Wi-Fi, flat screen TVs and air conditioning. Whether you are coming to Cape Hatteras to surf or kite board, windsurf or fish, or maybe to just walk our miles of National Seashore beaches; the Cape Hatteras Motel is the place to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Cape Hatteras Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cape Hatteras Motel Hotel Buxton
- Cape Hatteras Hotel
- Cape Hatteras Motel Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC