“Wonderful place!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Wonderful place!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I spent two nights at this hotel and overall it was wonderful. I would give the place five stars if they hadn't started moving sand around at 7:30am the first morning we were there. This beach is absolutely beautiful, though...if you get a chance don't miss it...nice restaurant with espresso right across the street...very nice food too.

Room Tip: Normally you need a room on the second floor to see over the dunes, but a nor'easter at Easter t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Libby H
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you. The dune is still down and our guests seem to prefer that. Now there is a view from the first floor as well!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My boyfriend and I came down for the weekend and decided that this will be our go to spot for weekend beach trips. The rooms are large albeit plain with comfortable beds, fridge, and microwave. The bathroom was huge and appeared to be recently remodeled. I loved the fact that we could walk out of our door and see the waves breaking 20-30 feet away. All of the motel employees that I had contact with were polite and professional.

Room Tip: I would definitely choose oceanfront or oceanside. I had originally asked for oceanfront because I...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank treegirl85
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Spent a few days here for a brief getaway. The room was excellent (and clean). The view was breath-taking (especially at sunrise). The beach was close enough that you could literally toss a stone into it from your door. Additionally, the motel is the last building on the north side of Buxton which means you have several miles of beach all to yourself. My girlfriend and I walked for almost a mile without running into anyone else. Lastly, there are enough restaurants and attractions in the area to keep you busy for a few days. Cape Hatteras is less than 5 minutes away. All in all, this is hands down the most pleasant experience I've had at the beach. Great room, great staff, great view, great vacation!

Room Tip: Make sure the room is "oceanfront" or "ocean-view."
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bryan K
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Amazing views... nice place and clean for a get away, we travel from Gatlinburg to Buxton on Friday is about 9 hours but when we got to our apartment it was worth it.
I gave a 3 on the service because front desk and manager were not very helpful they sent me an email with price per night per room and never say anything about taxes not included and finishing pay in 100 dollars more just in taxes. Is a suite and the more expensive one they have and is the only one that you have to go to the office to get new towels and toilet paper. The other room get them every morning. Something I found crazy.

But overall it was the best relaxing place we could ever chose.. and don't forget to visit avon pier amazing people there and good time fishing.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Hanno31
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My girlfriend and I traveled down from Bensalem, PA and I stayed at this beautiful establishment the week before Easter. We had a gorgeous view from the top floor of their building closest to the sea. Being a photographer, I was elated. The nights were alive with the soothing sound of the surf below us and although the weather was in a minor funk of sorts, we were well-pleased with the splendid accommodations. The proprietor was a wonderful guy and he made us feel right at home, even producing a rocking lounge chair that a co-inhabitant had absconded with.
Unfortunately for us, a few days into the stay the great Atlantic breached the dune wall and scoured the underside of our building, washing the sand into the parking lot. Such is life on the Outer Banks. The ocean damaged some of the infrastructure in the building and we had to exit the motel.
Even though my girlfriend was crushed, Dave was quick with a solution and even helped us line up a similar oceanfront room in a nearby competitor's motel.
He called them personally, refunded our remaining rental funds and apologized repeatedly for something he simply had no control over. What a swell fellow. I'd buy him an ale any day of the year.
Dave is a consummate professional and I literally felt terrible for his income loss and the loss of income to his cleaning staff by the damage the ocean wrought to his fine lodgings.
I took a great many photos of the wonderful room and the roaring ocean before we left and I can tell you one thing...
We'll be back as soon as we are able to afford it and will happily stay in his oceanfront rooms again. The view and sounds of the surf are unmatched and I owe Dave a hug.

Edward Stradling and Jaclyn Larsen

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms are spectacular with incredible views and the soothing sound of the ocean to en...
3 Thank Edward S
Albany, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I am disappointed that the picture of the Cape Hatteras Motel on the Ocean is not the way it looks at all. The owner needs to change this. We could not stay there last week because the Ocean was under the building and it had been condemned. My dream vacation of being on the Ocean never came to pass. We had to stay in another motel. We were never able to do anything outdoors that had been planned because of the wind and weather. I understand that's "mother nature" so be it, but the Motel is not what the pictures show,that can be changed before others are disppointed as well.

2 Thank Teri C
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
I'm sorry the weather spoiled your vacation. None of our buildings were condemned. We relocated you to another hotel because the storm damaged the heat pumps to one of our buildings. Because it was Easter week we had full occupancy and had to relocate some of the guests staying in this building. The heat pumps have been repaired, the storm is over and the water has receded. People once again are enjoying the beach and catching fish right behind the hotel. I understand you were disappointed, we were too. Storms are a part of life on the Outer Banks. They wash beach away only to put it back days later. This is the dynamics of a barrier Island. I hope you will come back to Hatteras and experience our wonderful beaches and hopefully calmer seas. Dave
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I came for our honeymoon and were AMAZED at how clean, hospitable, and friendly everyone was. The location of the room was right on the beach, board games to borrow, and free coffee in the room :) It is the best example of how a family-owned business should operate. All staff were willing to go the extra mile to accommodate our desires.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there is a fitness center - rated it 'excellent' on accident. Room service...
3 Thank 718lelder
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Your response to your stay with us is what makes me look forward to coming to work in the morning! Thank you. Dave
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Outer Banks Motel
Outer Banks Motel
#5 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras Motel? Share your experiences!