“Basic Room, Great Beach”

Cape Hatteras Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Albany, New York
“Basic Room, Great Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Spent a few days here enjoying Outer Banks sand and surf. Room was somewhat bland and basic but nothing really to complain about. One comes here for the ocean and the surf was literally 50 feet from our door on a somewhat private and secluded beach hemmed-in by other motel buildings. To the north, it sits on the edge of wild beach and one can walk as far as one likes.

Room Tip: Water-facing, upper-floors are less convenient with really no better view than first-floor, which is...
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thanks for spreading the word that the first floor now also has a view. Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Grenada, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This motel was amazing!!! right on the beach or you can have soundside which is across the street.. but either way the sunrise and sunset could not be viewed any better.. this room is full stocked.. just bring your food.. it has EVERYTHING (pots, glasses, utensils).. full size appliances, dining room table.. extra blankets for the rooms, need a vacuum just ask the front desk and they bring it to you.. unlimited supply of towels.. just drop you old ones off and get new ones.. nice rocking chairs on front for you to relax and enjoy the sight and sounds of the ocean.. watch the crabs roam at night.. if you want a place that is everything you could imagine and more.. this place is it.. it has an older place look but it makes you feel like you are really living.. we stayed for a week June 21-28, 2014.. the day we checked out I did NOT want to go home.. this place made me feel like I was already home.. CAN'T WAIT to go back.. and the cost is GREAT for the area!! highly recommend!! located as soon as you enter Buxton.. this little town is not like the huge tourist towns nearby.. it is all the beach to yourself.. not crowded.. a resort all your own..

Room Tip: if you want by the beach choose oceanside.. if you want away from the ocean choose soundside..
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank amcdougal1
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
All I can say is thank you for the great review. That was very kind. Dave
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is our second year at the Cape Hatteras Motel and we will be back. It is RIGHT ON THE BEACH and it is VERY CLEAN. There is nothing fancy or charming about the motel. It is not trendy or even cool retro. However, it is roomy and the beds are comfortable. The bathrooms and linens are clean. The housekeeping staff are friendly. The beach is super and the other motel guests are clearly of the same relaxed mindset. We also enjoy the unspoiled atmosphere of Buxton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan O
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We love repeat business! We hope to see you again for many years to come. Dave
Swan Point, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Good and bad. I booked a 2 bedroom suite in Feb. I was told I was in C209. I didn't want to be on the 3rd floor with no elevator due too bad knee's. My wife called 10 days before arrival and a lady told her we were in 209 which was good because the floors were new and the laundry was just downstairs. At arrival I was told by a man that I was in 307 and there was no record of a request of 2nd floor and no notes. Weird since I was assured at booking by him 209 and 10 days prior a lady told my wife 209. How would she have known ? MAYBE THE NOTES???? The man told me it was the last room, basically take it or turn around and drive 6 hours. Obviously somebody checked in before me and saw the 3rd floor with no elevator and got them to switch them. I had 2 ligaments in my knee redone in April and every time I went up that 3rd flight I was pissed all over again. I should have been offered something or at least an apology. Instead the man at checkout would not look me in the eye and LIED to me. Shame on you. The other bad is the walls,floors, are thin and you will hear everything. On the positive it was clean, the pool was clean, you can't get any closer to the beach. Overall a good stay except for the surrounding noise of my fellow travelers. The clothesline was a bonus. Robbie Anderson

4 Thank RobbieAnd
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
The floors in all of the oceanfront suites were changed to tile at the same time a couple of years ago. The top floor(307) is generally quieter as no one is walking above you as it is the top floor. We try to accommodate our guests request for special rooms. Now that we are able to accept reservations from on line travel agents it is much more difficult to grant these requests. The computer yells them we have open nights in a particular room type and the reservation is accepted. What the computer can't tell them is that the openings were not all in the same room so we have to make adjustments so our guests don't have to move from room to room. You were originally booked in 209 but we had to adjust the reservations so another guest could stay consecutive nights and not have to move. There were no notes about your bad knee and that was probably my fault and I apologize for that. I also apologized when you checked in and even offered you a full refund as the motel was full and I had no other room to offer but you decided to stay. You said nothing about it at check out and quite frankly, after a week I had totally forgotten about it. I can sympathize with your bad knee, but you crossed the line when you questioned my character. That is unacceptable and counter productive. The readers of these reviews deserve better. Dave
Bellingham, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place has two big groups of units; one is right on the beach (almost in the water) which undoubtedly is a great experience, the other is across the road. The latter has essentially no view; it is where we stayed in a kitchen unit on the ground floor. Elderly unit and sparsely furnished, especially for a place that in principle can house 5 people; but ok for a basic beach holiday if you plan to spend minimal time inside. Bathroom needs some attention. Top of fridge was filthy, and only 3 drinking glasses in the cabinet. The price is right if you actually have 5 folks in there and have modest expectations, but it is a bit marginal.

1 Thank trinhard
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I am sorry you had a less than expected experience. Many times multiple families traveling together stay in our sound side suites and end up dining in one unit, thus all the dishes end up there as well. That is no excuse however as housekeeping should have caught that. If that situation occurs again, please call the office and you will quickly receive glasses or any other items we may have overlooked. Thank you. Dave
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

i hesitate to write a review because this place is still unspoiled. We were able to walk for miles, exploring, gathering shells, and enjoying the waves and healing salt air. If you want the ocean, you will love this location. Evidently the folks who stay at this location feel the same way I do. It was quiet, and I was able to totally unwind and relax during a short stay. I'm going back, God willing, and praying Hurricane Arthur will spare this landmark motel.

Room Tip: A lot of stairs to climb if you are on second floor. No problems with parking, and I loved this pla...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank angelic_prescription
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Plan was to only spend one night but ended up staying 2 nights ! Right on the ocean!! The first night was with the Ocean view ....Right out the front door ! Second night we changed rooms ( last minute we stayed an extra night ) We stayed on the other side of the road . Nice big rooms kitchen, etc . Would recomend if staying for a few days !

Room Tip: I would choose the Ocean front rooms !!!! What a GREAT VIEW !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank redtracker3
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
So glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Outer Banks Motel
Outer Banks Motel
#5 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras Motel? Share your experiences!