After reading all of the spectacular reviews on this website and others, we booked an oceanfront room (2nd floor, thank goodness) for two nights as part of a family road-trip up the East coast. This was our first time visiting Cape Hatteras, and I guess maybe our expectations were a little high. Yes, I agree with the other reviewers that the location is very good. We had a spectacular view of the ocean, which we loved. Also, the young man who checked us in was really nice and welcoming. The bathroom was huge and was well-stocked. However, there were too many negative things that made our stay overall very disappointing.
First of all, the carpeting in our room was filthy. There were numerous stains, so many that we felt bad putting our bags down, and never walked on the carpet with bare feet. The windows were so dirty that you couldn't see out of them, and we had to use bottles of lotion to prop them open. There were spots all over the walls and ceilings where people had squashed bugs. Gross! The grounds around the hotel were dirty, too. It smelled like rotten garbage by the outdoor shower, and there were cigarette butts, trash and broken glass all over in the sand.
The pool and whirlpool were nice, although we had to cross Highway 12 to get there. We also didn't have a phone in our room, which I thought was a little strange. I have to admit, when we visited the lighthouse we drove past a different hotel (a national chain) and were wishing we had stayed there.
I actually feel bad writing this review, because I really wanted to like this place. Unfortunately, the Cape Hatteras Motel did not meet our expectations at all. Even though the beach view was great, it was not enough to make up for the negative things.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cape Hatteras Motel is located on the oceanfront in Buxton North Carolina. We are located about a mile down the beach from the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. The motel is bordered by the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the Atlantic Ocean. The motel has a fresh water pool with a hot tub. When conditions are safe, our beach is great for swimming and surfing. It is also one of the best places in the country to surf fish. We are about ten miles from the marinas at Hatteras Inlet. Boats out of Hatteras have the shortest run to the gulf stream north of Florida. There is also a fishing pier five miles north of Cape Hatteras Motel. We offer oceanfront rooms with either one king or two queen beds. We also offer two bedroom suites, complete with full kitchens.These units are complete with linens and dishes. All units have access to free Wi-Fi, flat screen TVs and air conditioning. Whether you are coming to Cape Hatteras to surf or kite board, windsurf or fish, or maybe to just walk our miles of National Seashore beaches; the Cape Hatteras Motel is the place to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Cape Hatteras Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cape Hatteras Motel Hotel Buxton
- Cape Hatteras Hotel
- Cape Hatteras Motel Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC