Cape Hatteras Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
View Hotel
Village Marina Motel(Hatteras Island)
View Hotel
The Breakwater Inn(Hatteras Island)
View Hotel
All reviewsrocking chairsoceanfront roombuilding cthe outer bankssound of the wavessaw dolphinsocean sidebeach loverscoffee makertop floora great place to stayfell asleepevery morningice machinebed was very comfortablesmall fridgefour nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 May 2007

A great time was had by all. My husband, me and our two children stayed at this hotel for a 3 day weekend in May 2007. We had an oceanfront hotel room. It was large and very clean. The rooms look like they were recently updated. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I can't complain about a thing.The kids had a great time crabbing in the sound behind the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank smparker2
Reviewed 18 October 2006

We just got back from Cape Haterras Motel. It's a great place to stay because of its proximity to the lighthouse. We even got a 15% discount with the 2006 Outer Banks Getaway Card found in The Outer Banks 2006 Official Travel Guide we picked up at the visitors center on the way in from Nags Head. Our oceanfront view was nice. Rooms were accomodating with refrigerator, microwave, and HDTV. The biggest drawback was that none of the rooms were non-smoking, but they had let us borrow their ozone generator machine to neutralize the air while we were out for an hour. Also, they did not have a crib for our toddler.
Nevertheless, fishing was great, as well as the selection of seashells at low tide.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 19 September 2005

This motel is not all oceanfront. We stayed across Highway 12 in and apartment on the Soundside. No view from this location unless you stretch to look out the bathroom window in the back and then you only can see a little of the sound. Very plain rooms and very small. Staff wasn't very friendly, but this is like it is at most motels on Hatteras. If I had to face hurricanes and nor'easterners the way they do, I may not be very friendly either. This is not my favorite motel in Buxton, but please stay here so I can still get a reservation at my favorite.

• Stayed: July 2003
1  Thank libraryperson
Reviewed 29 June 2005

I can't begin to explain how wonderful this motel was! My boyfriend and I were here for 4 glorious nights, which was not nearly enough. Our room actually felt like we were sleeping on the ocean. The sound of the waves crashing on the shore all night was so soothing. It had a very large king size bed that gave us the best sleep of our lives. There were 4 rooms on our floor which all had 2 deck chairs on the patio right above the ocean (you could just chill and have breakfast with a view every morning!) Our room had a microwave, fridge and t.v; everything you need for a few days. For those of you who need a pool it was only a minute away but you'd be crazy to swim in a pool with the ocean litteraly 10 steps from your door. Housekeeping was great, we had fresh towels, soap, shampoo/conditioner, coffee and clean sheets everyday.....without ever having to ask. We came all the way from Ontario, Canada not knowing anything about this area (came to celebrate a friends birthday). This area and motel were like a dream come true! We will always come back here to either stay at the motel or rent a beautiful cottage with friends and family. This was more than anything we would or could have expected.

P.S. Make sure you try the homemade frozen custard at a local shop (about 2 mins walk) climb the famous lighthouse, eat at Bubba's bbq, try kite-surfing & boogie-boarding, shop til you drop in one of a hundred surf & skate shops, park your car and walk everywhere (it's a small beach town) and do nothing else but be happy, be a bum on the beach and battle the waves of the beautiful ocean!

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank Danielle C
A TripAdvisor Member
Colorado
Reviewed 26 April 2004

Would you like to stay at the Cape Hatteras Motel in Buxton, NC. Take my room, please! This dirty hotel has no non-smoking rooms. I should have known something was up when I asked the person taking reservations about their pier and fishing and she told me she didn't know if the pier was rebuilt yet. This incredibly unhelpful employee didn't have info on local attractions, estimate of traveling times from one point on the island to the other and made numerous other excuses as to why she couldn't help me out. Best excuse heard? "I've only lived here for three years." Management was also non-responsive. Maybe they were all having a bad day, but we checked out before we checked in!

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CapeHatterasGroup, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Just an update since this review is 8 years old. None of the employees from 2004 are here anymore. In fact the employee in question has been gone for about 6 years. All of our units are now non smoking and have been for about 3 years. I would hope that Trip Advisor would keep their listings more current, not just for our property, but for all hotels as comments this old aren't fair to us or our visitors. Dave