“Great location but...”
Review of Outer Banks Motel

Outer Banks Motel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I feel like I paid too much for the unit because I booked at the last minute. It was clean but dated and slightly rundown. We closed the bedroom door and then got locked in - we had to unscrew the door handle with tweezers to get out! We were told this happens often because of the salt air.... We enjoyed the proximity to the beach but wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissalovestotravel
There are newer reviews for Outer Banks Motel

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We booked over the phone just seeing the pics on the web. My wife fell in love with the pics and the ocean view. We knew our view was not going to be the best but we took it anyway. The first problem we had is you have no control over the A/C hot hot hot. The the A/C starting leaking water all over the floor. Then I forgot to mention the smell of cigarettes. The toilet didn't flush properly and the shower was so small your whole side rubbed the curtain. I'm average size man, I know what you were thinking.we call to get our money back for the second night that we booked and they said no to late but said they would give us another room. The new room had all the same problems A/C,toilet and smoke.everything is way out dated and the beds were so worn out you slept in a hole. In closing I would say anyone who gives this place good reviews is use to living in scwaller. Beware!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Tomofbrandon
Carol D, Owner at Outer Banks Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thank you for your review. All of our units have individually controlled thermostats with central air conditioning except for one unit in the village. If an air conditioner goes out, we have window units on an emergency basis. All of our units are non-smoking. We apologize if another guest had smoked in the unit, but we try to enforce no smoking. A lot of our beds have been replaced in the past 3 years and many of our units have been remodeled as well.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in June 2012 in unit 4A. The view is wonderful - you can see the ocean from the room and also the bathroom. At night, it's nice to sit on the enclosed patio and listen to the waves.

The room is just as we expected - no frills, but you can tell the motel is well cared for. The beds were not very soft but we slept just fine.

We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: 4A has an ocean view and can't be beat!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovehawaii08
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was my second holiday weekend at the Outer Banks Motel in Buxton. The rooms are your average beach accomodations. It is very clean, reasonably priced, and laid back. Everyone staying there was incredibly friendly. Both times my friends and I got an efficiency with kitchen, living room, dining area, and two bedrooms. It was perfect. The porch/balcony area is an added bonus.

Room Tip: If possible, the rooms that have a view of the ocean are nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelbuddy22
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have stayed in several places in Buxton, the chain hotel, the 50s strip hotel and the Cape Pines hotel. At the Outer Banks Motel I had unit 5A, from the deck the third floor Ocean view and Island view looking north was a very nice change from the other places which had no view at all.

The room was clean and it had a small refrigerator with a freezer, a coffee maker and toaster. The bathroom had plenty of clean, if well used, towels and soap but no shampoo. The king sized bed spread had a cigarette burn. There was a stack of ash trays but I did not notice any smell of smoke. There was a small enclosed deck with a rough old sleeper sofa and another better sleeper in the room. I don't think the one on the enclosed deck was intended for sleeping. It would be nice for days when the outside deck may not be useable due to weather.

I looked forward to using the hot tub by the pool after surfing, but it was too hot. I am guessing it was near 108 degrees and I couldn't stand to be in it for more than a few minutes. I couldn't make the jets work either. When I checked out, I told the front desk attendant how hot it was and she said she would have giving me a bucket to dump pool water in to cool it off, and she would have maintenance adjust the temperature.
The outer banks is a rough place and so are the hotels so do not expect anything nicer than rustic here.
The room had internet access which was easy enough to get on but it briefly disconnected several times , and once for over 30 minutes. I tried calling the front desk 2 times and got no answer, it is apparently closed after 8 pm.

Check out time was 11 am so I had plenty of time to get in a morning surf session and get showered before checking out. However for weekly rentals check out time is 9 am, that seemed odd.
There is a Food Lion 6 miles north and a well stocked grocery store just a miles or so southwest. The Orange Blossom bakery another mile southwest, Their famous Apple Uglies were not ready at 7 am or at 8 am but by 9:30 the dozen or so people that had waited 40 minutes or more, or had come back finally got their "uglies"

Room Tip: There are many room options available, their website is helpful in choosing the right one.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank goldenmaddie
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in one of the houses away from the beach. It was roomy for our group of 5. The room was very clean and they let us check in hours early with no additional charge. Everything in the room was in working order. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly (including the huge cat who lives in the outgoing mail basket. SO CUTE!) In addition to being right on a huge stretch of quiet beach, there was a great pool and row boats. It was a wonderful trip at a great price. We'll be coming back!

Room Tip: The rooms off the beach are cheaper and the beach is less than a mile away. Totally worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Mandy G
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed here 2010 & 2011 and just booked for 2012. We love this place. It is perfect for families and is so close to the ocean. The staff is wonderful and extremely helpful. The rooms are always clean. The place is older but I personally like that as opposed to the newer places that all look the same with out any "character." The Outer Banks motel has a lot of repeat customers. We saw two families last year that we saw the year before. The place gives my family a "homey" feel while we are away from home. We will most definitely be returning here for many more years.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank GillispieFamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#4 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Pines Motel
Cape Pines Motel
#2 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Outer Banks Motel? Share your experiences!