“Great place on the beach to get away!”
Review of Outer Banks Motel

Outer Banks Motel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Right as soon as you arrive in Buxton you arrive at this motel. Easy to find and really close the light house. My wife and enjoyed multiple bicycle rides to the light house and traffic was very polite and great for such riding. This is a great place to come if you want to be right on the beach, close to everything in town, and able to enjoy some quiet time. You can easily take a walk on the beach and go any direction and see minimal people. Really very beautiful!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vicente R

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This Motel is perfectly located right on the beach on the island of Buxton. It is conveniently located near locally owned restaurants and shops. We were referred by a close friend to stay here. I look forward coming back as soon as we can!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This motel has an amazing location right next to the beach. Great service and a wonderful staff. The rooms were clean and the suites had a nice setup. We came down here with almost 30 friends and we had a blast! Everyone really enjoyed themselves. I highly recommend it for any vacation or business trip!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed here 1 week in May,2014 and was greeted and treated with true Southern Hospitality for the whole week of my stay. No complaint on any front. This gracious motel has weathered many season and storms and continues to greet another season. Thanks Carol and staff I will be back.

Room Tip: I stayed in 3A and was very pleased having recently had surgery on my leg this was a great called ma...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank loumasviers53
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Love the way the cabins are right on the beach. Not the owners fault that land has eroded over time. We love that we are right there and can enjoy the waves at high tide. Motel is older, but clean. We enjoy the feeling of stepping back in time to the 1950's or 1960's. The whole town is laid back and friendly. We hope to retire there in a few years.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy L
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Every year for the past 8 years we have stayed in either cottage 107 or 108. Someone who stays there every year and we've become friends with posted this link on their Facebook page. It's dated March 14, 2014. (See at the end of review) The beach is completely gone and water and waves come up under the cottages. The first picture in the link is taken from the deck of 108 facing the other cottages that are along what used to be a dune. It's completely gone and only large sandbags remain. Sadly, we ended up cancelling our reservation and had to find something else. We had alot of good times there and will miss staying in Buxton. There is also a picture of the hotel next to our cottage and it seems the beach is gone there also. The water is up to the stairs and it appears it's gone over what's remaining of the dune and gone up to the hotel. Just a warning because the Outer Banks Motel web page says nothing about this and shows a big beautiful beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank flhtp
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Been visiting Carol at the motel for about 12 years now. I'm not much of a Myrtle Beach kind of guy and have a black lab that likes to just enjoy the beach.

If you are looking for a relaxing, get away from it all and have that old style Cape Hatteras, live on a sand bar experience, the Outer Banks Motel is it. Is it the Ritz? Nope. Are you expecting room service at all hours of the night? This is not the place for you. Want to go out to dinner at 2 in the morning, look elsewhere. Want an early breakfast before going fishing, they have that! If you want to get away from it all and just have a quiet, old style beach vacation, this is the place to do it. Yes, they have a pool and a hot tub, but I'm more into getting my toes in the sand, sipping an adult beverage and just relaxing.

Fishing? Let me say this... In the decade plus I have been going to Buxton we have had as good or better fishing right there, behind the motels, as the folks who run up and down the beach chasing phone call reports of fish. If you ARE into catching that citation Red Drum, the point proper is just a short drive away. Remember though, the record Red Drum was caught just a short walk north of the motel!!! If you are into crowds, the point is just a short drive away also. If you are into just relaxing and catching a fresh fish dinner, this is the place.

We spend two weeks every fall in one of the Ocean front units. You can't get any closer to being 'on the beach' because they ARE on the beach! Everything you might need to buy is within walking distance, Conner's Market (the local grocery store) is maybe a mile down the road. Who can't spare a 15 minute walk when they are on vacation? If you are looking to spend your days shopping at the local outlet mall, this is not the place for you.

I've read some of the reviews about mold smells and such, well.. it IS a beach place! If there has been a storm it takes a bit to clean them out. Some reviews also mentioned about the power going out. Well, Buxton IS on a sandbar island! It takes a bit of time for repair folks to get anywhere there then repair things. I've had the power go out several times when I was there, you just deal with it, like the locals do. Remember, you are on a narrow barrier island in the Atlantic Ocean, not in Myrtle Beach. If you are looking for a 5 star place, stick to Nags Head. If you are looking for a great, family oriented, relaxing, slow pace, old style North Carolina beach experience, this is the place.

I put my next year's reservation in BEFORE I leave.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank John F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Outer Banks Motel? Share your experiences!