“Tasty Seafood in Hatteras”
Review of Diamond Shoals

Diamond Shoals
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located adjacent to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Diamond Shoals Restaurant has been serving up the finest local fare for decades. Known for its friendly atmosphere, fresh seafood and southern hospitality, folks have been coming back to Diamond Shoals, year after year, for its award winning clam chowder and crab bisque, homemade crab cakes, and Hatteras Island's only sushi bar. Enjoy a selection of steaks, sandwiches, the island's largest salad bar, an extensive kids menu, and fresh seafood caught by local fishermen.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Diamond Shoals has some really good chowder and the lobster bisque is really good too! They always have the chalkboards listing the fish specials. Have been here for dinner on every trip we have taken to OBX and Hatteras area. Within walking distance of our hotel was really nice and the interior atmosphere brings me back to memories of those old seafood places from days gone by. The service is quick and friendly.

Always a treat to have dinner at Diamond Shoals!

Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Happy you enjoy our chowder and lobster bisque! There's just not much better than to hear you always stop by when you're in Hatteras.

See you next time!

There are newer reviews for Diamond Shoals

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant because it was within walking distance of our hotel. There were two waitresses on duty who appeared to be alternating tables. We learned more about the menu from listening to the second waitress who took care of the couple that entered after us. The salad is extra, unless you want to substitute your side orders. My husband got a salad, but I didn't, and they charged us for two. He didn't even eat his sides, and would have gladly traded. Our waitress seemed reluctant to explain the four different catches of the day, and not being from the area, we were not familiar with any of them! Some could be broiled and some couldn't, etc. We both had the Black Grouper with a Parmesan topping and found it delicious. We were served our first hush puppies as an appetizer and found them quite tasty! Although not helpful with our order, our waitress was attentive and checked on us often. Our bill with a non-alcoholic beer and glass of wine was $65.17--kind of pricey, considering the atmosphere was more like a coffee shop.

Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Glad you and your husband enjoyed the Black Grouper. We use the freshest ingredients and put a lot of effort into each dish, so it's great to hear that. Thanks for the feedback about the service, as well -- I plan to follow up with my staff to ensure we're always doing our best.

See you next time you're on Hatteras,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This little "dive" of a restaurant in Buxton is a real gem. The staff is courteous and friendly and the food is authentic Outer Banks and well prepared. The steamed clams are superb and the stuffed grouper is unsurpassed on the island. This restaurant is a superior value and I would recommend it to anyone who wants great seafood on Hatteras Island. I do not use the term "dive" disparagingly. It is not a place for a romantic dinner or a place to wow your date. It's just good food. Guy Fieri would love this place.

Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

"A real gem" -- we can't think of a better compliment than that, William. Thrilled to hear you enjoyed everything from the steamed clams to grouper. See you next time you're on Hatteras!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The breakfast at the Diamond Shoals is great. The menu is small, but all the food is great. The service is very friendly and the food comes out quick. The place is also open very early, so its a great place to grab breakfast before heading out for the day.

Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

We're glad you had a great breakfast with us, Caleb! See soon next time you're in the area!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Visited Diamond Shoals restaurant with my husband and 3 year old daughter one afternoon for lunch after visiting the lighthouse. We were famished and ready for a big lunch and thought this would be the perfect place to stop. We had a very cheerful, chatty, friendly waitress who paid lots of sweet attention to our daughter- even scrounging together a coloring page and crayons for her which was nice. Upon first look at the menu, we thought it was a bit pricy but then again chalked it up to the touristy area we were in. My husband decided on the fish & chips (fish, french fries, and a cup of applesauce) and I decided on the chicken tender basket with fries and applesauce as well since the only other choices were sweet potato fries or cole slaw. Our daughter got corn dog nuggets and apple sauce. The menu, if my memory serves me right, said a "generous portion of chicken tenders"- well let me just say when they came out I was extremely underwhelmed. Like even if I wasn't as hungry as I was, the 4 TINY chicken tenders they brought out wouldn't have been enough. Just imagine a small hot dog basket and 4 (more like 3 and a half) chicken "slivers" I'd more appropriately call them, no bigger around, nor longer than, your pointer finger and a small handful of fries- for $10. They tasted decent, sure, but I think I drank 2 gallons of tea just to get full to be prepared for the rest of our afternoon. My husband had 1 piece of fish about 5 inches in length and about 2 inches wide with a portion of fries and we each had our generic cup of applesauce. Our bill was right at $38 and it was extremely hard to fork over the money for such a minuscule amount of food. My husband remarked that even $15 would have been too much to pay for what we got. We both left disappointed and I at least left with a full bladder. Won't be back and I wish I had my money back.

Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

While I'm happy you felt welcomed at our restaurant, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your meal, Amanda. We do use the freshest ingredients and make our meals from scratch, which is accounted for in the price. However, we're known for pretty good sized portions and honestly, I'm surprised to hear this. In the future, please let us know if you're ever unhappy with anything -- we'd love the chance to fix it in the moment. I'd love it if you gave us another shot when you're in the area. I know we can knock it out of the park next time.