“Just ok...”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Wilmington, NC
“Just ok...”
Reviewed 1 November 2008

Cape Pines was neither good or bad. We stayed here in October in the King suite. These suites were located in the main building over the office. Bad things first: many parts around the upstairs were quite shabby/sad looking. The main hallway smelled bad. The walls were PAPER thin (you could hear every neighboors convo and TV). Good things: the king bed was HUGE. Biggest bed I've ever stayed in. The bathroom and living room were quite clean. Management was nice enough.

Although I wasn't impressed with Cape Pines I've read many other reviewers who were. I can only assume most of them stayed in the side by side apartments down on the ground floor. From what I saw they were very cute and quaint.

For the price (90 some dollars) I was a little underwhelmed by Cape Pines. I do not recomend staying in the rooms above the office.

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls in rooms above the office
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
North Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 13 October 2008

For $65.00, we got a clean, tasteful room with comfortable beds, beautiful wood finishings, free wi-fi, and excellent sound proofing. Bonus: it's pet friendly if you are so inclined, and the deluxe have views of the famous lighthouse (or so we are told).

A lucky find.

• Liked — the price and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — the coffee in the lobby
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed 4 October 2008

This motel gets top marks for being VERY clean. Our room was large and had a fridge and microwave. The free wifi was a nice touch. Cape Hatteras lighthouse is a short drive down the road. Handy little supermarket across the street.

My only problem was the bathroom and the shower. The bathroom was small and there was no place to put my toiletries while I was using them. I was trying to crowd little bottles, toothbrush, contact lens case, etc. on the edge of the sink with little success. Maybe they could add a shelf? The shower was a nightmare. I don't know what the problem was, but it would suddenly turn scalding hot one minute and then bitter cold the next. There was no way to predict what it was going to do to next. At one point I had to call my husband, who came running in to turn the hot down because I was being scalded. My bad for not saying anything about the shower to the owners, but I don't usually have to guts to complain.

I also loved the two dogs.

• Liked — CLEAN
  • Disliked — The crazy killer shower
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Based upon the rave reviews on Tripadvisor, we booked a 4 night stay through Cape Pines website, initially for a room and "suite" and then ended up needing only and staying in the suite. I was a bit doubtful about staying in a "motel" and I have to say that much of our stay did not do much to change that accessment.
What we did like: The size of the room was fine for 3 of us- any more people and we would have been all over each other. We were in a newly renovated suite. The furniture in the "bedroom", which is open to the "kitchen" was like upscale camp furniture and the hardwood floors polished. My 17 year old son really liked the furniture in the bedroom, and I liked the kitchen chairs.The kitchen area was quite large and as one of the earlier posters said very well stocked. We were in the handicapped room, so had an oversized bathroom, with nice large floor tiles, a very pretty fabric shower curtain, and a wrought iron toilet paper holder that also matched the towel holder in the kitchen. The wireless network and computer to use in the office was a life saver. Since I was without a car a couple of days, it was nice to have the grocery store across the street and the bakery, surf shop, and gifts shops nearby.
What we didn't like: Yes, it's a motel, right on the highway and not near the beach. The reviews from Tripadvisor swayed me, but I would opt for the beach the next time. We're not smokers and the room was non-smoking, however, there were cigarette butts in a pot outside our room the entire time-never emptied. Although our room was newly renovated, the curtain rod was already drooping when we arrived. The bathroom had brackets for a towel rack, but no rack, so we just hung our towels on the brackets. The kitchen table was covered with a picnic table tablecloth that didn't match anything else in the suite and was tacky tourist. Oddly, our bedroom floors were highly polished oak stained, while the kichen floors were satin finished dark wood. I would have stayed with the oak, but that's personal preference. Yes, they do take pets and one had obviously tried to get out of our room leaving large gouges by the front door. The grounds were not well-maintained. In addition to the cigarette butts we saw trash lying around the grounds. There was a broken wood plank by the pool. The first day it had some little flags in it and the second a trash can on top of it. Like the prior poster, there did not appear to be much in the way of maid service. Some leaves came in on my shoes, and stayed in the bathroom the whole time. I am neat and pulled up our bedspreads and cleaned the kitchen. I don't think the sheets were changed on the beds- maybe on the sofa sleeper, and I think I cleaned more than housekeeping did. We did get clean towels and the trash was taken out, but that was about it.
Be sure to be familiar with the cancellation policy. My bad- I didn't read the website closely as it is quite clear. No refunds on reserved suites so we were out for a full night's charge when we had to leave a day earlier than originally planned. I also learned that there are many reasonably priced rentals in the Buxton area. For the same price we could have rented a house or part of a house on the beach for a full week with a lot more room, which is what we'll do if we go back to the area.

• Liked — The internet access, large kitchen and bathroom.
  • Disliked — Limited housekeeping and groundkeeping, room needs some work
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank momsgetaway
harrisburg nc
Reviewed 24 September 2008

After reading all the reviews, my husband and I were somewhat disappointed. When we checked in there was dog hair all over the couch. When we went back to the office, they did come over and clean it and left us a roller in case we found any more. Then we realized there was sand all over the floor. The room looked clean and neat. With the hardwood floors you did not notice the sand at first, however it soon became obvious the floor had not been swept. In fact, the floor was never vacuumed during our stay. I am certain of this because we swept up the sand/dirt/whatever daily after the maid visited ourselves with the tiny broom in the room. Since there was no dustpan we swept it into the corner of the bathroom where it still was when we checked out. During our entire stay, I think the only thing the maid did was bring clean towels and make the bed. The one day I was in the room when she came, she brought in no cleaning supplies.....or vacuum...or broom...just towels and garbage bags. (She did take out the garbage). The motel is an older one but has had some remodeling. The room was good sized and the price was very reasonable but for a week's stay, I believe we will look elsewhere. We did not complain while we were there...perhaps we should have. I guess we just took for granted that these were things that would have been done. I think too we just wanted to see if anyone would notice the pile of sand in the corner of the bathroom.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank harrisburgdancemom
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 August 2008

This is a solid 3 star hotel with updated furnishings. It is clean and well run by the owner who purchased it last year. It is an older establishment. It is really close to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and the beach and located on the main road across from a convienient small supermarket. There is no breakfast but does have free internet service in the reception area. There weren't many guests staying there during our stay so it was even more quiet than it might otherwise be. I would definitely recommend it to families. The room was spacious and pleasant.

• Liked — Location and condition
  • Disliked — No breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank WKA
Overland Park, KS
Reviewed 18 August 2008

This was a great motel for the price. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. The location was great - we knew before we got there that it was not oceanfront. It was very close to the Hatteras Lighthouse & beach as well as lots of shops and restaurants.

• Liked — great value
  • Disliked — not oceanfront
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wac4645
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
Village Motel
Village Motel
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Cape Pines Motel? Share your experiences!